Thread: Wild duck meat safe to eat raw? page

Issabeau is offline Senior Member

Wild duck meat safe to eat raw?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, I'm a little worried about parasites...especially tape-and ringworms.
    My question is do ducks carry parasites that would be hazardous to my health?
    We just 'inherited' a bunch of wild duck meat from relatives who made room in the freezer. The meat had only been frozen for about 2 weeks tops, and I don't even know at what temperature.

I'm on a semi-raw primal diet ( i cook vegetables, pork and chestnuts ) and would love to benefit from the live amino acids, enzymes etc in its raw form.

Anyone know if raw wild duck is safe?

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Most meats can be made safe simply by freezing them (provided they were fresh when frozen). Freezing kills most crap, but dead bacterial toxins (their *poop* if you will) remains toxic after both cooking and freezing.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i've never had wild duck anything other than cooked to death but i have had seared duck breast which was quite pink in the middle in a very flash restruant. i didnt die and it was very tasty. i would say give it a go as my logic is that ducks are birds. not mammals so way less chance of us catching anything. my only real worry about not eating say raw chicken is the commercial poultry or even chicken coop thing. wild ducks on the other hand, where i am anyways, tend to range a lot more so arent usually walking around on a stack of duck poop. maybe google to see if anything comes up.

dado Guest
    what if you wrap it in sauerkraut?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I think wild ducks carry of number of parasites. I have eaten very rare duck breast - but would not do it regularly. Mostly because of hearing about those nasty duck breast worms when I was younger....

What are the small oblong shaped parasites in breast meat?

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    I'm no expert but I don't think you have to be to know the answer to this one. I love the whole Primal thing too but don't take it dangerously too far. Cook your stuff for God sakes!

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    As far as tape and ring worms go...

Ring worms aren't worms actually. It's a fungal infection that lives on the surface of the animal. And I have NO idea if birds get it or if thats a mammals thing only. But regardless it won't affect the meat.

Tape worms are a possibility I suppose (although again I don't know if they live in birds) but freezing the meat for 12 hours is supposed to kill them. And they are pretty easy to get rid of if you discover you have one.

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    I don't ever want to be in the position to have to get rid of a tape worm. That would disgust the hell out of me.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    My policy with wild meat is (usually) to freeze it for 30 days- 90 if it's something I'm really nervous about like scavengers (like coyote.) That usually ensures parasites are dead.

Ducks you don't have to worry about so much, but animals that are susceptible to rabies, you also should cook well done.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    have you thought of making pemmican or jerky out of it? that could be worth a try. if it's been frozen, i wouldnt worry about parasites.