Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: recommendations for easing into primal/paleo diet? page

PookDo is offline Senior Member

recommendations for easing into primal/paleo diet?

Primal Fuel
    Hey folks I am back. I am looking to start my primal journey again next month after failing two previous times and I feel the reason I failed is because I jumped head long into it and tried to deal with life long carb addictions and cutting out soda and it made me nuts. I'm a 43 year old guy who weighs under 330 and I hate it. I so badly want to be under 200 pounds for the first time since I was 19.I'm always tired no matter how much sleep I get if I do sleep and I'm so done with shopping at the humpty dumpty stores or section of the store.
    I want to go back to school next fall to get a degree in physics and I need the energy for school and work plus home work. I need to be clear thinking and not have the fog I have most days from being so tired all the time. Thanks for your help. It means a lot

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    I would suggest if you have not already:

1. read the book
    2. set some reasonable goals (small-large)
    3. make sure you have access to the right foods
    4. start walking/lifting etc.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

dado Guest
    i'm not one for easing, so i will not advise you on this, but i want to say good things to you for going to study physics at age 43, you are an inspiration to me.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I did it by easing in, one meal at a time. I do recommend this route if the whole hog method is making you batshit crazy. Remember: this is a lifestyle change, not a crash diet.

How I did it:
    I made my dinners Primal first. I could (and did!) eat whatever else I wanted up until dinner. Then I had an ample Primal dinner.
    Then I switched over lunch as well.
    Last came breakfasts for me. (And today I don't even eat it anymore, but at the time I was still dealing with hypoglycemia (no longer, BTW)).

But you could select whatever order you'd like. I'd suggest the easiest one that is going to work into your schedule first.

You'll find that once you're actually giving your body proper nutrition it can use (very overweight people are often actually starved nutritionally) even 2/3 of the day, you'll no longer want that 1/3 crap meal any longer. Your taste buds and cravings change.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Cheers!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    I found it was easiest by eliminating one type of junk at a time, whether it be sugar or grains...then eliminate the next one as well, and so on. It really gets easier quickly enough. Do as much exercise/playing as you feel up to...just try to at least reduce your sitting idle. Get up and do things around the house instead of watching tv, you know? Add more activity as you feel up to it. Good luck.

Edit: Oh, and always have a glass of water handy. Take a drink every time you look at it.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unamused Mouse View Post
    I found it was easiest by eliminating one type of junk at a time, whether it be sugar or grains...then eliminate the next one as well, and so on. It really gets easier quickly enough. Do as much exercise/playing as you feel up to...just try to at least reduce your sitting idle. Get up and do things around the house instead of watching tv, you know? Add more activity as you feel up to it. Good luck.

Edit: Oh, and always have a glass of water handy. Take a drink every time you look at it.
    +1. I like it!
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

PookDo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unamused Mouse View Post

I like that idea too. Going to start Power 90 next Sunday and work up to P90X

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    I jumped into primal and had no particularly bad symptoms. No carb flu or anything like that. I attribute this largely to the fact that I had given up sugar already some time ago. I think it's a great idea to start with sugar and get that nailed first before stressing yourself out about other stuff.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaisyEater View Post
    I jumped into primal and had no particularly bad symptoms. No carb flu or anything like that. I attribute this largely to the fact that I had given up sugar already some time ago. I think it's a great idea to start with sugar and get that nailed first before stressing yourself out about other stuff.
    While this isn't a bad idea, it seems most people around here experience more benefit from eliminating grains than sugar.

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eliminating grains will automatically cut out a good amount of sugar from baked goods and the like, while still allowing sodas. I think the sodas are probably the bigger hang up for most people. As yoursefl this... Would you rather work up to giving up soda or give it up right off the bat?
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast