Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frozen Vegetables | Are They As Good As They Say... page

Chrisflyer is offline Member

Frozen Vegetables | Are They As Good As They Say...

Primal Fuel
    Hello all

Many "nutritionists" vouch about the benefits of eating frozen vegetables because of their quick processing and "snap freezing" to lock in nutrients.

Now I know as soon as a vegetables is harvested, the start to loose nutrients and in many cases, by the time a vegetable reaches your plate, it has been harvested, packed, transported, stored and sold across many days to a week plus.

Whereas frozen vegetables, are harvested and frozen within hours.

Now there is no doubt a texture difference between the two once cooked - but what I would like to know is if there is really a nutritional difference, and is frozen "better"?

Looking forward to your replies.

Stay well.

A

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    I eat frozen veggies because they are cheap and convenient. Any difference between fresh and frozen in terms of nutrition will not make any real world difference IMO.

dado Guest
    Mark Sisson says they are just as good!!

My question to you, good person, is: are frozen blueberries a better value for your buck than fresh blueberries?

lazatiger is offline Member
    The only thing I would be concerned about is pesticide. It's easier to wash fresh veggies. The grocery stores here never have a good selection of organic frozen veggies. That saying, I've been eating a lot of non-organic ones :(

You can make a good hash out of frozen veggies. They get mushier faster and are yummy with olive oil and spices :D

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    Organic farming uses pesticides too, they are just organic.

thyme is offline Member
    When the local farm shops shut down for the season, I go all frozen. If you cook 'em right, I don't see them as inferior in taste or texture. My basic technique, based on "Mastering the Art of French Cooking:"

Greens:
    Melt butter. Cook shallot in butter. Add salt and pepper. Add frozen greens and cook over low heat until thawed. Turn heat up slightly, continue cooking while stirring until excess water evaporated. Turn heat down, add lots more butter, or stock, and braise for 15 minutes or so.

Peas:
    Melt butter. Cook shallot in butter. Add salt and pepper. Add half cup to a cup of stock. Add frozen peas and cook until peas are cooked. Stock should be already reduced to an emulsion on the peas; if not, remove peas, boil stock down until it will barely cling to peas, mix with peas and serve.

Brussel Sprouts:
    Same as peas.

etc.

PookDo is offline Senior Member
    I hope they aren't bad I plan on buying some

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thyme View Post
    When the local farm shops shut down for the season, I go all frozen. If you cook 'em right, I don't see them as inferior in taste or texture. My basic technique, based on "Mastering the Art of French Cooking:"

Greens:
    Melt butter. Cook shallot in butter. Add salt and pepper. Add frozen greens and cook over low heat until thawed. Turn heat up slightly, continue cooking while stirring until excess water evaporated. Turn heat down, add lots more butter, or stock, and braise for 15 minutes or so.

Peas:
    Melt butter. Cook shallot in butter. Add salt and pepper. Add half cup to a cup of stock. Add frozen peas and cook until peas are cooked. Stock should be already reduced to an emulsion on the peas; if not, remove peas, boil stock down until it will barely cling to peas, mix with peas and serve.

Brussel Sprouts:
    Same as peas.

etc.
    just an addition.. bacon works VERY well with brussel sprouts!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PookDo View Post
    I hope they aren't bad I plan on buying some
    buy em, eat em-YUM!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

losingweightcom is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Frozen vegetables are the bomb, especially green giant!

The number of calories per serving for green giant's frozen vegetables are surprisingly low (usually under 100). This is including the veggies they have in a butter or cheese sauce. I can eat the frozen veggies as a meal alone to be honest. It's that good and filling!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast