Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muscle glycogen storage for time trials page 2

Nick Guest

Yeah, coconut oil is going to be a little squishy out in the sun. I'd try to do something like how truffles are made: treat the coconut oil as a soft ganache interior, roll it into little balls, and freeze them. Then coat the balls in something else..would be crushed nuts, or could be a dark chocolate shell (really super dark chocolate will hold up better in the heat).

A shell made of melted sugar would make them even more weather resistant, but I guess we don't want to do that. I'll try see if I can think of anything else that is primal and can form a hard shell and doesn't melt until 120 F or so.

mudbeard Guest

Yesterdays training (paleo day #15) was a complete disaster. No energy - legs felt ok, but heart rate would not go up.

Energy levels have only gone down since starting eating Paleo. Hope this will change soon.

Will take some rest today and see what happens tomorrow...

@Nick. Try some little dried fruit like apricots or figs on longer training sessions.

Graeme is offline Junior Member

Make the powerballs and freeze em.Should last a while longer that way!

Mr Scott Guest

mudbeard,

I changed to Paleo style life almost a year ago. I was then in the best shape of my life, and had different ways of measure my progress and status. I lost at least 35 W of my FTP and the overall performance in all activities were poor. I also had an increased heart rate in rest and moderate actvity. During harder exercise it was mad! Had bpm figures I've never seen.

It took at least 3-4 months before things started to normalize, but the power loss didn't rebound. Now I better than last year in all aspects, but say it took me 6-8 months before I was back in a state where I never gave carbs a thought.

I read paleo for athlets, tried forums on the web etc. The thing was that I couldn't just do minor compensation with carbs and get to previous power levels. When I changed my overall lifestyle and limited my carb intake, my body needed time. More than anyone else I've read about on the web.

Today I will do TTs of 20 km without any change in food intake before, during or after.

On rides more than 100 km I need additional carbs and then I mainly use sports drinks as source.

When I do intervall in blocks, say 3 days in a row, I increase my carb intake overall, fruit, potatos, berries etc. If I fear that I will deplete my glycogen storage I can also take some sports drink with protein directly after exercise or race.

So I would recommend you to back off a bit an consider what you would like to achieve. Improve in a month, spend the time on intervalls. Get a life that you enjoy, and a good base for training, i.e. going primal. Give it some time, and take a couple of weeks of the bike in order to get over the worst adoption phase.

Good luck!

mudbeard Guest

Mr Scott,

Thanks for your reply!

So, you're saying when I'll be patient, it will make me faster in the end. (Based on your experience).

My goal is not to be superfast next month. Next season will be more important.

Are you (pretty) sure the gain after a year is on the account of your paleo diet? Or have you been training better?

Between last year and this year I made a huge improvement (almost a minute at 10km TT) by changing my diet. (No changes in training). I went from a standard Dutch diet to a diet that incorporated much more fruits and vegetables. But still lots of carbs (pasta).

Now, I try to improve more by going paleo. However, I will still be drinking some Kefir dairy.

And still my overall health is more important than winning a race... So I think I will stick to this for some time longer...

Mr Scott Guest

Faster in the end: To be honest I can't tell, but I can tell you that my performance is not limited by my carb intake anymore.

I would say that I'm more fit, since I lost some weight, have had a very limited number of colds, and that my recover is at least as good as before - No, it is better, if its due to life style or that my training has been far more consistent, I can't tell. Which sort of leads to your next question.

I can't say that a Primal Blueprint oriented approach has helped me a bit. Maybe the overall feeling on long ride has improved due to beeing less sensitive to glycogen for fuel. I would even go as far as saying that the only thing I know is that the change in lifestyle a year ago, limited my training for months.

Saying that ... I have never been able to train as consistent as I've done this year. Colds, flu, overall fatigue etc. has not limited me as before. Weight control has taken 'zero effort'. I have enjoy my training more, why I'm not sure, but overall feeling of power and fitness has been a part. I have diversified my training, with crossfit, kettlebells etc.

I drink milk - fattest available - after training sometimes. I also use cheese. Whipped cream together with strawberries is very nice pwo during summer. I can see that weight loss is influenced to some extent. But, and I think this is important, when you go Paleo, try to find thinks that make your chose easy, so that you don't see your choice as a limitation. You will have a much easier time. For me cheese is such an example. I can stay away from cheese for months, but instead of falling of the Paleo track totally, to Pizza for instance, I take a cheese omelette.

TdF is up next.

primalrunner Guest

I noticed that it took me about two weeks to start training better when I went primal.

I also found that my race performances from the marathon right up to 100km races improved while training in a low glycogen state and racing high.

For me adding some carbs back into my diet the day before an event, during and after long training sessions was the key for me to race successfully.

I blogged everything during my 30-day challenge last year primalrunner.blogspot.com.

mudbeard Guest

Primalrunner, I read your blog. Thanks

Didn't give up and getting very good results now.

During training lowcarb - but adding some carbs before the competition works perfectly. (Sprouted bread/honey, but also roots like topinambur and red potatoes are nice). During bicycle time trials I take a bidon of homemade sportsdrink (nothing like gatorade!).

Yesterday managed to get a 5th place out of over 200 riders. In another time trial a week ago I managed to beat my last years time by 28 seconds. That's a lot for 8,5km! Still feeling stronger everyday. This primal (in my case primal inspired) diet rules!

Who needs doping. Haha.

ra18 Guest

I read the above posts with interest and I'm hoping some of you can help me.

I love to eat Primal. It feels right to me. I've gradually moved this way over the last year. For the last 3 weeks I've been on it 100% and feel great...

Here's the big BUT... My athletic performance has been destroyed!

I'm a cyclist and I can't even make it a few hundred yards without my legs burning up in pain. On my usual weekend 40 mile ride with my mates, I lasted 1 mile and had to turn around and go home.

On my morning sprint training I normally sprint 45-60 seconds and hit HR 190bpm and repeat 10 times. This morning I burnt out at 20 seconds with max HR 145bpm and managed only 1 rep!

Weights in the gym have dropped 30-40%.

I've been eating loads of calories and all good natural food. I've always enjoyed lots of good fats in my diet. I assume my problem is depleted glycogen.

I read so many posts saying athletic performance is better or at least as good on Primal.

Will this get better for me?

How long do people take to fully adapt?

Should I stick with Primal and forget the bike?

How long before my muscles don't feel weak?

Any advice or encouragement would be really appreciated.

(I'm male aged 43)

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

ra18, I don't know anything about your question, but I think it is important enough to have its own thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast