Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl in White Tiger Field page 8

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    I'd go low carb to cut the cravings if I were you.

Maybe no more than 30 grams a day, plenty of eggs, uncured bacon, hamburger patties, tuna, chicken, pork chops, macadamia nuts, few strawberries, 1/2 org apple, nut butter in celery, olives and cheese, org greens, salad fixings (tomatoes, onions, cukes, mushrooms, few shredded carrots) with oil and vinegar, avocados, 1/2 sweet potato couple times a wk, plenty of spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, squash, broccoli..

You've got to get organized, make lists, make menus, watch for sale items, clip coupons, drink loads of filtered water. I love green tea with lime. Do some kind of exercise everyday.

You'll be shocked at how great you'll feel in a really short time. You think this would cost a lot, but buying simple foods and staying away from the processed aisles, you'll end up spending less.

My husband loves junk food so I know how you feel with unhealthy foods in the house. But once you get over the hump and train your body to like only healthy food, your willpower will be there for you, to protect from evil grain and sugar
    Hi Judy. My Gosh, that's a serious list you wrote out. Lol. Almost fell out of bed as I read it.

But seriously I'm interested in what you had to say. I was actually taking time tonight to ponder (read: confuse the hell out of myself) over how to get all this situated. It's kind of driven me into a tizzy where I can't figure out what I'm doing. Yes, organization, as I learned, is key. You can't be unprepared. But at this point it sort of feels like I'm stocking up on things without much of a plan for it. Example; I bought two lbs grassfed ground beef but since I've never been a big beef eater (and am not that good of a cook) I'm sort of not sure what to try. But I'm thawing some tonight so it's my challenge to find a recipe.

Guh...I realize paleo/primal is all about NOT counting or anything like that but I think it's important to know about ratios and percents if I'm going to fight these horrible sugar/grain cravings and get what I need. But I also, in addition to helping my IBS, want to lose some weight and gain muscle so I'm struggling to get things figured out for my body. Its safe to say that I am a sugar addict. When I have a craving I get super antsy and "wired". I'm through with this feeling of having my body control me in such a way. It's awful.

But I really appreciate your comment and will seriously consider it. Any other advice or tips are welcome.
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    You do have to become almost obsessed with this lifestyle at first. I would tell your family and friends that you've adopted a primal way of eating, playing and sleeping..and you would be happy to explain it to them, that you're learning as you're going and they'll see changes in you as you select different foods & forms of exercise.

You do need to read Mark's book, maybe library can get it for you, I love IT STARTS WITH FOOD, too. You've got to set time for outdoor moving around, sunshine and adequate sleep. Getting some exercise everyday will help you sleep great. Save some carbs for nighttime to help you sleep better. Camomile tea with raw honey is great for that. Remember to take a multivitamin every morning. Be sure to drink lots of water, you'll be in detox so you want to flush out the poisons.

It may seem overwhelming but it really becomes so easy, plus the greatest thing is the wonderful mood you'll be in after your body realizes no more junk is coming in. Also, your fam will see this awesome change in you and they will want it too. My DH is already saying he prefers organic chicken, passes on ice cream when I'm having tea at night, I think if I don't push it on him he'll come around naturally.

Btw, your grassfed hamburger: you can make a little sauce using tomato paste ( I buy it in tubes so I can use a TBS or 2) add some onions, mushrooms, peppers, herbs, brown your beef and let it all simmer or make a patty and pour sauce over, really good along with veggies. Roast different veggies, they are so tasty that way, they caramelize.

You can do this; women can do anything they set their mind on.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    You do have to become almost obsessed with this lifestyle at first. I would tell your family and friends that you've adopted a primal way of eating, playing and sleeping..and you would be happy to explain it to them, that you're learning as you're going and they'll see changes in you as you select different foods & forms of exercise.

You do need to read Mark's book, maybe library can get it for you, I love IT STARTS WITH FOOD, too. You've got to set time for outdoor moving around, sunshine and adequate sleep. Getting some exercise everyday will help you sleep great. Save some carbs for nighttime to help you sleep better. Camomile tea with raw honey is great for that. Remember to take a multivitamin every morning. Be sure to drink lots of water, you'll be in detox so you want to flush out the poisons.

It may seem overwhelming but it really becomes so easy, plus the greatest thing is the wonderful mood you'll be in after your body realizes no more junk is coming in. Also, your fam will see this awesome change in you and they will want it too. My DH is already saying he prefers organic chicken, passes on ice cream when I'm having tea at night, I think if I don't push it on him he'll come around naturally.

Btw, your grassfed hamburger: you can make a little sauce using tomato paste ( I buy it in tubes so I can use a TBS or 2) add some onions, mushrooms, peppers, herbs, brown your beef and let it all simmer or make a patty and pour sauce over, really good along with veggies. Roast different veggies, they are so tasty that way, they caramelize.

You can do this; women can do anything they set their mind on.
    Listen to Judy - she is a wise woman!!!!

What can you afford? Well, larabars are pretty expensive - you can easily afford a can of tuna instead. Celery is usually cheap and you probably have it in the house. Spead some nut butter (I love almond) on it and take it for lunch. Eggs too. When you feel overwhelmed by your task of primal, do something positive. Prep some food for tomorrow. Boil some eggs, chop some veges or take a walk/bike ride. It sounds like you may need some crunch when you get munchy. Carrots, apple, almonds, celery - these all help with that. Relax and enjoy the process of trying new things. Some nice green tea, music and food prep for tomorrow in the evenings are much better than TV. Just half an hour will make such a difference.

As for the ground meat - just cook it. Add stuff to it if you can or just put it over some vege.

I agree that living with family makes it tougher in some ways, but asking for help/co-operation from them when crappy food choices make you ill is not asking too much. I realize that they are all sugar addicts like you may be, but they still can be on your side - even if they are stuffing pizza in their faces while they do it

And a couple of cheetos and vanilla wafers is a big improvement from the previous cheats you have mentioned. I think you are making steadily improved progress!

Judy: I actually do own the PB 21-Day Transformation book (my aunt has it atm, but doubtful she's using it). I did want to read It Starts With Food, but the library won't allow it to be ordered because it's too new. I agree. I have to get active. It's a shame how tight and low energy I am. I've tried to drink lemon water before as a detox. And yes, one of the reasons I'm doing this is to help my family see that it is a good idea. But I want to prove it to myself more. It's almost too good to be true. Thanks for the suggestion on the ground beef. Everything I do now seems to be an experiment and I sometimes am paranoid of messing up, especially with expensive food. (But at least I get a do-over). As to the multivitamin, does Women's One-A-Day fit the bill? Because nutrition is kind of important to me. I hate counting but worry about proportions and if I'm getting the things I need!

Mud Flinger: Well the Larabars were for when I had to go out and to tide me over until I could figure out what to eat. I will start to try and implement more travel-ready meals. (I'm working on some finger friendly vegetables like carrots and celery). How does canned tuna or salmon mixed with a small salad sound (on the go)? Yes I am getting in the habit of prepping the night/day before (not perfect but I'm working on it). I will start to try and drink tea (not a big fan) but I often crave flavored drinks (juices mainly).

To Judy (or anyone who can answer this) forgive me if this sounds stupid but I'm not accustomed to counting nutrition. What does 30g of carbs look like? I went to look at my package of spinach. It says 4 1/2 cup (85g) = 3g of carbs! Either I didn't read it right or I've got to eat a ton of vegetables. I hate counting to be honest. I try to make myself have a cup of vegetables a day (that's what I'm attempting anyway). The amount of protein is also concerning me. I don't belong to a gym or anything and I don't make regular doctor's visits so I don't know how to determine how much protein I need for my body. I thought of just going by the 3oz rule.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Women's one a day is fine. I'm taking New Chapter organic vitamins right now, like them a lot, some don't agree with me.

It won't take you long to figure out carb counting. Go to sparkpeople.com, track nutrition, and play with your favorite meats, veggies, eggs, some fruits and you'll see how quickly carbs add up. It's a great way to learn about nutrition in general. At first it seems tedious to do all the counting and keeping track, but it will be a big help to you.

Judy, is SparkPeople better at tracking than FitDay or Paleo Track? (I used to frequent SP before I found out about primal/paleo.)

At this point I suppose I'm just trying to get a well rounded meal plan going. This started out just being an experiment to prove to myself if this was worth checking out (though obviously there is a lot of proof that's its beneficial). I would love it if I could at least go pure paleo by September and keep at it until I can get over the cravings. I like the butter and I am glad that one of the local stores stocks it for less, but I still am iffy about it. It's still dairy and I think if I over do the butter it might not be good for me. But at this point butter would be the only dairy item I consume (making my diet mostly paleo).

B: ....two pieces of toast and a glass of KoolAid...
    S: ...brown mule ice cream
    L: small salad with spinach, cucumbers and 1 Applegate Farms turkey dog (with olive oil as base for dressing)
    D: a little bit of what mom cooked; sausage with green beans (not cooked in healthy oil or pan)

I had a horrible night last night so this morning I sort of fell back into what I'd usually eat when I had a flare. (The Kool-Aid was just pure craving and I realize how unwise it was to drink that.) When I get a flare I tend to eat like a bird for fear of upsetting my stomach and making it more sore. The ice cream, also a craving. I've learned my lesson. I have to start the day better even if I am feeling very ill. (I suppose a plain egg or two would be better.)

I want this so bad but I keep messing up. If I could make it a week that would make me happy and I hope would give me more strength to make another week and another until I've been paleo for a month. Probably making this way harder than I should (I think I get scatterbrained/overwhelmed easily). But I'll vow to do better. I was happy with the fact that I did have a lunch for once!
    F|26yr|5'3"

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I usually dont count stuff much either. I just avoid high carb things like banana and sweet potatoes for the most part. Greens have very low carb counts - the lowest of the veges so go wild with them. The rest of the veges like onions and carrots have some, but again, nothing like grains or startches. Fruit is sweet and so has higher carbs than most veges. An apple will go a long way to help you and has like 20 carbs. Instead of that quick toast for breaky, an apple is sweet, crunchy and filling AND a grap and go and portable; cheap too. Maybe some fruit flavored tea will healp you avoid the kool-aid.

Yep, gotta stay away from that toast
    Btw, thx, mud flinger for the wise compliment, with age comes wisdom.. We hope anyway lol

I use sparkpeople because it was the first one I tried. I do wish they had a low carb plan. I may look around for others.

Try your ever loving best to avoid sugar and grains. You know they're the enemy and it IS hard as hell not to wolf em down, but they're the very worst for you. Read Mark's book, meditate on this change in your life and just make up your mind you won't touch the junk. If you can go one day, the moment you wake up the next morning, you'll be so proud of yourself for not giving in, it will immediately put you in a good mood and will strengthen your willpower for another day.

Yep, gotta stay away from that toast
    Btw, thx, mud flinger for the wise compliment, with age comes wisdom.. We hope anyway lol

I use sparkpeople because it was the first one I tried. I do wish they had a low carb plan. I may look around for others.

Try your ever loving best to avoid sugar and grains. You know they're the enemy and it IS hard as hell not to wolf em down, but they're the very worst for you. Read Mark's book, meditate on this change in your life and just make up your mind you won't touch the junk. If you can go one day, the moment you wake up the next morning, you'll be so proud of yourself for not giving in, it will immediately put you in a good mood and will strengthen your willpower for another day.
    Judy your comment couldn't have come at a better time. Last night I promised myself I would get through Saturday. I don't have any excuses. I won't be leaving home so at least I can concentrate on preparing the appropriate meals or escape to another location if I'm presented with temptation. I even thought of making a list of reasons why I'm going paleo/primal so I cannot forget.

I want to thank you and Mud Flinger both for sticking in here because I have to say it does encourage me deeply. I've always sort of hated forums because you get ignored easily but I kept coming back because I felt it was necessary to log all my thoughts and feelings and data in a public place, regardless of if people read it or not. I have a very good friend in CA who I chat with frequently and although she is cheering me on, she isn't interested in going primal or paleo, so it's not quite the same as having someone talk to you who has been there (though I think I am rubbing off on her.)

I'll report back later with my day's meals.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Wow. What a way to start a day anew.

I wake up, go into the kitchen and the first thing I see, is a stack of homemade pancakes. POW. Temptation before I can even get into the kitchen. But then after breakfast, lo and behold I realize that my period started. Not fun. With that said, here's the run down of what I ate.

B: Thai Style Eggs (2 "cage free" eggs cooked in butter)
    S: 5 strawberries
    L: 1 cup spinach, with some cucumber 1 Applegate Farms turkey dog with 2 tbsps of olive oil as base for dressing
    D: grassfed burger with 1 cup steamed veggies

Water Count: 2 16oz bottles of water

After breakfast is when I started to feel truly miserable in terms of both cramping but also cravings. I haven't been settled all day. Even now I'm annoyed and fidgety. Drinking water had little effect at helping kill the cravings too.

BUT

I didn't stray.

I can't tell whether or not my cycle is making me more edgy (it's very possible) but even now I am wanting something sweet or soft and bready. (Damn pancakes!) I'm kind of exhausted from both trying to resist and the thought of having to keep this up…but I keep reminding myself that I can be strong and do this and it's just for my benefit. It may seem that I'm not pleased but I am. The night is not over, there is still room for error, but I sort of feel like to go and mess up after suffering all day, would be…enraging. But this is exactly why I want to succeed. I hate the hold cravings have on me.

"Suffer the pain of discipline or the pain of regret" Either way, it's painful. Might as well do the right thing.

P.S. Making hamburgers was painfully easy and I am ashamed of myself for stressing and freaking out unnecessarily.
    Last edited by Byakko; 08-25-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast