Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: The Girl in White Tiger Field page 29

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks for the link.

I'm kind of freaking out because I took one pill of the antibiotic. Should I continue or....

GAH I will never let someone pressure me to take pills again. I'm an adult! Even if she is my grandmother whom I try to honor and respect this is going too far.
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Yesterday we went out even though it probably wasn't a good idea since I was still feeling rotten. However I think I am getting better. Now I just have an itchy dry throat (that is pretty annoying) but I don't feel like I have to lay down and sleep. I'm merely thankful I haven't gotten worse. (Never ever ever again am I letting someone talk me into pills. Unsurprisingly my grandmother is still playing pill police. Can't do anything about her wanting to take them but I will not be doing it.)

Anyway we went to Earth Fare on the last leg of the trip. When I first started going to this store, it was more so for organic beauty products than for food. But yesterday I got $14 worth of groceries because I am anxious to start being paleo again and I need whatever I can get. Still it never pays to shop without a list of things in mind before hand.

Picked up some of Bubbie's Pickles, a few lemons, a blood orange (because I just wanted to try one) a bell pepper, a can of tomato paste and...some bones. Yes. Bones.

It's the first time I've ever ordered any bones from the meat counter at a store. I don't know if they're grass fed but I believe the bones were the cheapest thing you could get at that part of the store. I wanted to get a bone-in cut of meat but it was all too expensive. The total came to $2.42 for a pound of them (one of them was a femur I think.) So! I will be excited to try making my first bone broth soon. (Spring Break is approaching so I want to try some new things.) And hopefully once I make a broth of it I can have more than just 4 serv to spare.

The pepper and tomato paste I got was for a chili I decided to make with some veal I had since I had no beef. I was really tired from the trip as well as just being plain ill, but I made myself make the chili because I had already thawed the meat (but I could have eaten some of my mom's stew.)

I'm proud of myself for going a head with it but more so because I have this hang up about cooking with meat on the stove; afraid I'll burn things or myself. My mom cooks on very high heat and uses some not so healthy oil for deep frying and so I'm always hearing her yelling in pain when oil pops out of the pan! As a result I normally only cook on medium or medium high at most. My main concern was knowing when the meat was fully cooked, but I simply waited until it browned. I've become more confident with stir frying vegetables in the pan and I was able to make this chili from start to finish without asking for assistance or observation, even though it was available. Big thanks to YouTube. I regularly look at cooking videos now.

I have two questions though, if anyone reads this.

1. I found that a lot of the foods at Earth Fare are expensive. Should I have just bought the vegetables from a conventional store? I think organic chains are ideal when you're looking for a food that just can't be found elsewhere, but lemons and bell peppers are pretty common everywhere.

2. Do I have to use all of my bones when making bone broth or will perhaps one large bone be good enough? I can't remember how many the man gave me. And if I do use them all, will they be useless after that one cooking session or are they reusable?
    F|26yr|5'3"

Two days Paleo as of tonight.
    I could probably be better about eating more variety but I try to make sure I have some kind of vegetable with each meal.

I'm generally feeling rather grumpy, I assume the sugar cravings. We'll see how it'll feel tomorrow.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    When you do your bone broth use as many bones as you can fit in the pot and add some ACV to help leach out minerals. The first batch ( I simmer overnight) will be the richest. You can reuse the bones like three times in succession. And each batch will be weaker but is still good for a soup base.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    When you do your bone broth use as many bones as you can fit in the pot and add some ACV to help leach out minerals. The first batch ( I simmer overnight) will be the richest. You can reuse the bones like three times in succession. And each batch will be weaker but is still good for a soup base.
    Do you think it's best to cook it for the longest amount of time? (I think one book I have says 12 hours).
    F|26yr|5'3"

I'm starting to think I can't do this...

I don't have an income, I don't live in an area that allows for access to local clean food, it's overwhelming and confusing...

It feels almost useless if I can only buy conventional meat and veg. How can paleo be sustainable, not only for the individual, but for the environment when a lot of people who eat this way are forced to buy conventional gross plastic wrapped crap? (Tyson, anyone?) I guess I don't have a choice and I'll have to live with that. But in order to have 3 meals a week that feature meat, I'd have to have around 7lbs of meat! Now I would love to be the type of person who only needs to eat twice (and fasting is not an option because I do get pains if I don't eat for too long.)

What's more my own mother doesn't meal plan and it is starting to bother me. She just gets whatever and makes whatever and often resorts to "go-to dinners" like tuna salad (which most people will just eat as a small snack.) Then if anyone is still hungry they pig out on junk food. It's not even healthy by CW standards. I don't like to judge them but it's frustrating for me when I want to do this and succeed. I want what I hear everyone else saying they have. When my own parents put junk food up over actual food what am I supposed to do? Reasoning with either of them is not going to happen. I tried it. My mother doesn't even seem to be interested in learning to meal plan (I suspect for the same reasons I'm having issues.)
    F|26yr|5'3"

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    I'm starting to think I can't do this...

I don't have an income, I don't live in an area that allows for access to local clean food, it's overwhelming and confusing...
    I suspect that you are stronger than you think. If getting healthy is really important to you, you can make it work.

Living without an income in our society is virtually impossible, as you are finding out. What can you do to generate an income, however small? Once you have that going, build on it. There are a thousand and one things to be done to earn what most people think of as extra income that you can use as seed money to gain traction. What are your talents and skills? Time to parley them into money for food. I've been poor (it's a state of mind) and I've been broke (a temporary condition). After a lot of hard work and some luck hopefully I've seen the backside of each. I wish the same for you.

Buying pasture raised meats and organic produce is ideal, but not possible for everyone. The key is to focus on making the best possible choices with the resources that you have available. The bones were a terrific move! Choosing an armload of veggies over Lara bars, chocolate, and other treats would be another.

Congratulations on learning to cook! You-Tube really is a great resource. Be sure to share any great paleo recipes that you try.

You're trying hard to eliminate toxins from your diet. It may also be necessary to move away from toxic relationships. This would take a lot of planning and work, but may be something to consider. From your posts I gather that you're in a difficult situation right now, but hopefully as you grow healthier and stronger you'll be able to take advantage of future opportunities when they arise.

Wishing you the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    I suspect that you are stronger than you think. If getting healthy is really important to you, you can make it work.

Living without an income in our society is virtually impossible, as you are finding out. What can you do to generate an income, however small? Once you have that going, build on it. There are a thousand and one things to be done to earn what most people think of as extra income that you can use as seed money to gain traction. What are your talents and skills? Time to parley them into money for food. I've been poor (it's a state of mind) and I've been broke (a temporary condition). After a lot of hard work and some luck hopefully I've seen the backside of each. I wish the same for you.

Buying pasture raised meats and organic produce is ideal, but not possible for everyone. The key is to focus on making the best possible choices with the resources that you have available. The bones were a terrific move! Choosing an armload of veggies over Lara bars, chocolate, and other treats would be another.

Congratulations on learning to cook! You-Tube really is a great resource. Be sure to share any great paleo recipes that you try.

You're trying hard to eliminate toxins from your diet. It may also be necessary to move away from toxic relationships. This would take a lot of planning and work, but may be something to consider. From your posts I gather that you're in a difficult situation right now, but hopefully as you grow healthier and stronger you'll be able to take advantage of future opportunities when they arise.

Wishing you the very best!
    Hi Patti

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's definitely going to take a lot of work still. I seem to do pretty well resisting cravings during the day but ultimately some time mid afternoon (around 3-4pm), I get weak, usually give in and binge on sugar and sometimes grains. I actually don't eat a lot of grains unless A.) it was in something my mother cooked or B.) or it's a cookie, something with sugar (the latter is much more likely to happen.)

Part of it is cravings (and not being properly prepared), the other part might be me wanting to be "normal", meaning that I can't be told "no" just because I have IBS. I should be able to eat what I want like other people. But I can't, because I will experience pain among other bad symptoms. It's like I know this stuff is bad for me but I eat it anyway, even if I don't like it. First few bites or sips are like heaven, but everything after that is less than spectacular. Yet I continue to consume it.

But I'll try harder each day. If I can make it to half the day, I just have to try harder to make it through the other half. I do things like take 20 minutes to eat so I don't rush, I try not to drink with my meals (which is a big habit). My goal is to go three days without sugar (even if I slip and eat non-sugary grains). They say that's how long it takes to really get over the hell of cravings.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Today was my first time batch cooking. I wanted to do it so the next time I attempt to go paleo, I won't have an excuse of not having any food on hand. I didn't do as many as I'd like. I had planned to start out with 3 meals/recipes. I did two instead and chopped 3 different bell peppers. Still I feel like I did something productive at least. However, I won't say it wasn't kind of nerve wracking. I wasn't exactly organized and I was anxious. Despite it all I tried to learn from my mistakes and even made notes along the way.

-A clean kitchen is the first step I feel. I hate clutter in general, but I share a kitchen with my family so I don't have much control over it even when I take the initiative. Still, prepping a lot of food around cluttered counters and a dirty water filled sink is not enjoyable.

-Adjust recipes and know the appliances. The recipe called for me to bake the chicken at 425F but because our oven is weird, that's just way too hot. This time I did it on 375 on the same 45min duration and everything worked out fine. (I also shouldn't keep relying on the microwave to melt/reheat everything!)

-I learned I need to let meat come to room temp before cooking. It was a recipe from Practical Paleo that involved a butter spread over chicken thighs. Well I drizzled the mixture over the meat. Only a few minutes later I found that the mixture had solidified to the point it didn't want to spread. So I think the combo of cold meat and warm mixture (or at least with butter) requires me to take the meat out earlier.

-This either makes me lazy or a minimalist but I do not like using up more than what I need to accomplish a job. In fact I like to be as minimal as possible. (My mom suggested I use one set of measuring spoons for wet stuff and one for dry...but I don't want to own two sets of spoons!) More than once today I have used up clean utensils because I wasn't aware enough to keep them on hand (or for that matter, clearing the sink of dirty water so I wouldn't have to give them a good wash.) I suppose this could be partially avoided by gathering everything that's needed ahead of time, which requires forethought on my part.

-I learned that I need to take time to do some research on foods I'm not used to dealing with. First time cooking chicken livers. They turned out okay, but I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out how best to handle them. Might sound silly but it's true. I'm not that squeamish or anything. It was more so how to prepare them.

That's all I can think of in regards to my adventure in batch cooking today. I hope this week will be the one where I am successful. Even if I can make it through one day, I'll be happy and count that as a success. At this point that's all I can count on.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Patti is offline Senior Member
    What great strides you're making! Batch cooking can be a lot of fun, and a little tiring too. For me, the satisfaction of having some delicious home-cooked meals always ready to go makes it worthwhile.

One of the things that got me excited about being in the kitchen was having clean surfaces to work on. At one point in time, primarily due to depression I think, I'd become a lousy homemaker. Check out the Flylady for some great ideas. Once I got on the right track, everything else eventually fell into place and everything looks great now, but it did take awhile. When I cook now, I start off with a sink full of hot sudsy water. Every time I need to wash my hands or rinse something off, I wash an implement or two. This way there is no big pile at the end. Give it a try sometime to see if it works for you.

I do hear you about the frustrations of IBS and feeling deprived. At one point I got used to it and never thought it would go away. Now that I'm fully Primal, my symptoms are gone. Instead of feeling deprived because cookies/cake/processed foods don't agree with my digestive system, I'm focusing on what I can eat - and it's a lot!

Hope this is a better week for you!

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast