Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Thread: The Girl in White Tiger Field page 28

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've gotten a few things from NomNomPaleo. A lot of her recipes seem a bit intensive or have things I can't get hold of. :/ I'd love a blender like she has.

Yeah. It seems like most of my recipes are "go-to" at the moment. Before Paleo didn't have any recipes, period, that I was used to making (other than pasta.) So I'm sort of starting from zero. But I do have some collected. And yeah, I know that my parents don't have a lot to do with it (other than buying the food, which falls on my mom.) But I was sort of trying to point out that when she does get vegetables, they go to waste and I am trying to make a habit of salvaging them (which I never did before Paleo.) I try to salvage them for myself if she doesn't have a use for them. Plus they also waste meat, which I could be eating.

---

I tend to like Italian and Chinese dishes as far as flavor goes. I was never big on anything "mushy" but I'm getting used to it. The first time I went primal I tried to use 5 ingredient recipes, but after a while they fell flat. And I wasn't eating as many carbs. I love bacon but I am trying to reduce my intake to once a month. I don't particularly think that paleo baking is something I should spend time on. 1. It might make me want the real thing. 2. I don't want to waste money on expensive specialty flours (we only have almond flour available, for $9-$11). 3. I'm not sure how healthy it is. Seems l like a lot of nuts (when typically they say not to have more than a handful.) I'm open to thoughts on that though.

Here's what I have so far (and a lot of these are just general ideas and I don't necessarily have a recipe for some)

BEEF
    chili/bunless sloppy joe
    burgers
    meatballs
    ground beef stir fry
    steak stir fry

EGGS
    scrambled eggs w/ vegetables
    omelet
    vegetables scramble
    hard boiled
    thai style omelet

FISH
    seasoned salmon steak
    salmon cakes
    canned salmon salad

CHICKEN
    chicken stir fry
    chicken salad

SIDES
    zucchini noodles/ribbons
    sweet potato hash/bites/fries
    dill and garlic zucchini and carrots
    steamed broccoli

Er this is what I have thus far.

Here are some things my mom usually makes that could be paleo

-porkchops: my mom fries these in oil so whenever she does this, with any food, I just bake it. I usually get one serving.
    -chicken drummettes/wings: she fries these and I get about 3-4 and bake them in the oven.
    -steak or steak stir fry: the only grass fed meat I can get is often just ground beef so I don't get steak unless she brings it home. I'd have to go out of town 45 min away to get grass fed ground beef that is less than $10. The one at our local store is $10...

I haven't been able to find any trigger foods outside of SAD toxic stuff (too much sugar, bread etc.)

*I'd like to try tuna salad and other things that use mayonnaise but I am concerned about using raw eggs. That's the only thing keeping me from it.
    *For bone broth, do I need to use grass fed bones or conventional? I'd like to try this because I keep hearing how good it seems to heal the digestive system. I wanted to try a Japanese dish called Nikujaga which is like meat and potato stew.

This is all I could think of atm.
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you have a great collection of recipes there! Don't worry about the grass fed so much. Yes it s better, but do what you can and don't worry. I would just try to make sure my ground meat has no pink slime added. Many stores grind it fresh in house. For fish I just try for wild caught and on sale ( salmon is my fav). As for raw eggs, I have heard that chances of getting sick are actually pretty low. Just get the best you can afford. Does anyone around you sell eggs/ have chickens? It only takes 2 eggs to make mayo. I usually use grape seed oil as walnut or avocado oil is expensive and olive oil can give the mayo an odd taste.

As for bone broth, just use the bones you can get. Add some ACV to the water (a couple of table spoons) and let them sit for a couple of hours and then simmer overnight. Add seasonings after. The vinegar helps to leach minerals out of the bones into the broth.

I try things and experiment all the time. I accept my failures as a learning process and move on. You may or may not like the bone broth or mayo the first time. Try adding things like garlic powder or other spice to fix it ( I use dill for many recipes that seem off to me). I'll think on some recipes or tweaks to yours that you may like to try.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Are you avoiding pork? It is inexpensive and can make a lot of meals with little work. I like to make pulled pork by lining a crock pot with bacon(4-6 pieces) and then add a sliced or chopped onion or two and then a pork roast with a little salt and lots of pepper. Let it cook over night ( and drive everyone crazy with the good smell). The next morning, shred the pork and add a can of crushed pineapple in its own juice and stir it in. Let it cook for a few more hours and enjoy. It makes a ton of food with little effort and everyone who has tried it loves it! I usually freeze about half of it as it makes so much. Bread eaters can have it on rolls. I like it with a simple cabbage cole slaw ( cabbage, grated carrots and more crushed pineapple).

i guess I'm paranoid about having heart problems or other weird issues from eating mainly conventional meat. I really don't know if I can get just plain meat. I try to have at least one pound of grass fed or organic if possible. Is there a way to tell if the meat has pink slime? But I'll try to se what the stores around here can do.

I suppose I can try paleo mayo once but because of my IBS I am afraid of gambling with my digestion. My aunt does have chickens (as well as cows) but she told me they're not laying right now and I think they sell the cows after raising them. I don't know how much of the meat they get for themselves but I imagine they do keep a bunch. I am currently caring for my grandmother (who had her 91st birthday) and she and my other aunts have decided to pay me so maybe eventually I can get her to pay me in eggs or meat or something. I'll have to see. (They're not my favorite people to deal with.)

I have the Practical Paleo book and I want to try and follow some of that advice (like eating probiotic foods if possible and such.) So hopefully I can try making kimchi or sauerkraut (two foods I've never had before.)

Lately I have been going to the bathroom more, which is good, and I also think I'm getting a good amount of fat (but I won't go into details.) Been using butter more than coconut oil (because I like the flavor more.) But I think it's a combo of more starchy vegetables (potatoes and carrots) and fat.

About the pork: Yes and no. I feel if I can't get grass fed pork it's probably really unhealthy and the only pork that seems to cross the threshold is deli/processed stuff (bacon, deli slices, sausage.) But yeah I rarely eat pork. I like the taste, just cautious of chemicals.

I'm open to trying offal (like chicken liver.) I had a bad experience with beef liver that my mom tried to make (tasted like…cow manure). But I know they're cheaper and probably pretty good.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Granted, I haven't been truly paleo for more than a few weeks the last time I did it. But I'm am still concerned about losing weight (even though it's secondary to why I'm doing this.) I really really hate keeping tabs on grams and measurements. And it seems difficult to track carb grams. I really wish there was a visual aid of some kind for that.

I'm still experimenting with sweet potatoes to see if they help me with digestion. But as we all know it's got a heavier carb content than other vegetables. So what do I do...?

As my siggy says, I'm 5'3" and am floating around low 150s/high 140s. Because of my thicker build, 135lbs might be a stretch but I want to stay below 150. I seem to carry a good amount of fat on my thighs but mainly everything is evenly distributed (aka when I gain I gain all over.)
    F|26yr|5'3"

Whether I'm ready or not...I'm paleo.

I've eaten so badly over the last week (paired with the arrival of my period as well as the stress of family visiting) that I've messed my body up. I had the worst stomach pains last night, that I hadn't had in a long time coupled with frequent trips to the restroom. This morning it was the same. Felt the urge to go before I even ate. Then I began eating a banana, but with every few bites and chews I took, I had urgency. This kind of thing happened to me before I knew I had IBS. And I don't know what to do about it.

I'm used to being IBS-C, and though it's bad enough, I'm glad it's not IBS-D. However I think because of what I ate it's turning into IBS-D. And I don't know how to endure that.

I have no one to blame but myself. I ate that low quality void-of-nutrient crap and I've done harm to my body.

I don't know whether I should fast or what. I've never fasted before so I don't know if there's a certain method I'm supposed to follow. But I quit eating the banana and am now sipping water (some misguided idea that the water will flush out the sugars and bad stuff I ate.) Going too long without eating seems to result in stomach pains so I'm not sure I'm the type that can fast easily.

I don't know what to do at this point except not eat anything all day.
    F|26yr|5'3"

...not sure it's even worth posting since no one is reading...

I've got the flu..or cold or something. My mom brought it home and now my dad has it and is taking meds (the doc gave him like 3 different meds, including Vicodin, which he tried to give me half of to make me feel better, I flatly refused.) It started with a small tickle in my throat now it's gone to full blown body aches and some small pain in my chest. My grandma is starting to have it too (kind of worried since she's much older and therefore more vulnerable to things like this.)

She is trying to make an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow and wants me to come.

Should I take anti-biotics? I'm a bit afraid to do that since I have heard that antibiotics and IBS don't mesh well.
    F|26yr|5'3"

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    So sorry you're sick! Vicodin for the flu??? That is crazy. Definitely don't go to that doctor.
    I don't know about IBS and antibiotics.
    Whenever we used to get the flu, we'd just do the usual; Lots of fluids, bed rest, light food and NyQuil.
    DH has taken flu shots for yrs, I have never since I've had it maybe twice in my life.
    Hope you're better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    So sorry you're sick! Vicodin for the flu??? That is crazy. Definitely don't go to that doctor.
    I don't know about IBS and antibiotics.
    Whenever we used to get the flu, we'd just do the usual; Lots of fluids, bed rest, light food and NyQuil.
    DH has taken flu shots for yrs, I have never since I've had it maybe twice in my life.
    Hope you're better soon.
    Despite being 91 yrs old my grandma is just as pushy as she can be. She made me go with her to a doctor where she got him to prescribe antibiotics, mainly for her but he amazingly included enough for me to take as well. She gave me half of the bottle.

I don't know if I should take them, but I feel that just going out into public today has made my coughing worse. Other than fatigue and body aches and the cough, I don't have anything else going on. (Still damn annoying.) This whole situation is irritating.

From what I have read, taking antibiotics kills the good bacteria in your gut and therefore makes you vulnerable to develop digestion problems. I just feel it's an iffy thing to do but...I also want to get better.
    F|26yr|5'3"

JudyCr is offline Senior Member

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast