Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl in White Tiger Field page 27

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    New month, new you.
    Write it down.
    Don't put any form of sugar in your mouth this month.
    Good luck, sweetie. I know it's hard.
    Thanks so much.
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

B: 2 eggs w/ spinach and a banana
    S: handful of pecans
    D: chicken thigh with sweet potato fries and left over vegetables
    S: half a fuji apple

Feeling agitated because of restriction and some stomach discomfort...but I haven't strayed.
    F|26yr|5'3"

B: 2 eggs w/ spinach
    S: Larabar
    D: McDonald's Caesar Salad
    S: 3 apples slices

It's really rough being the first week of paleo and being away from home without a plan or food from home to turn to. However, I guess today isn't a total bust. I have a new knife (which I hope serves me well) and some meat. And not just meat, but a BOGO on ground veal! I've never eaten veal but I'll be looking for recipes for it.
    F|26yr|5'3"

So I have a confession to make, because I need it.

Saturday and Sunday were not clean. And I don't mean just eating crappy fast food salads (which right now is the best I can do while I'm away). I mean eating straight up candy, cookies and gross cheap white bread. That means I'm back to square one. A set back of 2 days!

It sucks. And I hate that I automatically go into hiding mode when I mess up. When I cheat I actually hide it or I make sure no one can see me or notice. That's pathetic. But I'm being honest here and I think I have a serious sugar issue. It isn't quite the same for grains. I'm not going to crave crackers...but I do crave bread for the texture...mainly soft grains (waffles etc). Sugary, easy to grab stuff is a whole other monster.

But I think, hopefully, I'm finally fed up with sabotaging myself. "Suffer the pain of discipline or the pain of regret" I am just so sick of food having that kind of control over me! I want to be free from wanting it. I have IBS so I want my system to function as it should and I don't want pain. I'm not even sure if I can afford to cheat, even after successfully adapting to paleo.

However I am making it a personal goal to go at least THREE DAYS without sugar (along with other awful foods.) I figure it takes that long to get over the hump and maybe all the weird withdrawal symptoms (anxiety and crankiness etc) will diminish. I mean I want to actually fight through those three days. Thankfully I do have some dark chocolate to ease me out of eating candy my dad gets.

Unfortunately I am an easily stressed person (sometimes over stupid things) and I have a hard time "cheating" and letting it go. Mainly because I can't just cheat and move on. I keep cheating and I think that's how I discovered I'm a bit of a sugar addict. I think the only thing that would keep me from continuing to cheat is keeping my hands busy.

Yesterday mom and I cleaned up a bit at my grandma's. I put myself in charge of the hallway. I actually found some cheap chocolate covered nuts (still in box, probably a gift from Xmas) and I ate one. But surprisingly, after giving the box to my grandma (who was in another room) I didn't continue to cheat because I had to focus on tidying up everything. May not seem like a big deal but she keeps Hershey kisses in the fridge and it would have been just as easy for me to pop in the kitchen and grab a few..and later a few more etc. Physical distractions might come into play. Unfortunately later last night I kept eating candy that my dad has stashed everywhere and cookies my mom has failed to hide.

Long story short, I'm starting again today. Miraculously I woke up and got up two hours earlier than average. I ate what I feel was an extra big breakfast of eggs and sweet potatoes. But I feel weird. I can't say if it's subtle cravings, over thinking things or what (possibly brain fog). I made sure to eat enough this morning, omitting my usual banana to save for when I really feel like I'm the verge of cheating. I cooked the food in coconut oil and even added extra butter for good measure.

3 days...that's what my goal is.
    F|26yr|5'3"

...well this will sound embarrassing. But it's uber late and I don't even care.

This past evening I had two breakdowns; just out and out bawling. The first time was rather sudden, feeling like giving up sugar was far too big a challenge. The second time revolved around the stress of meal planning.

Perhaps, this time around, I can't go cold turkey. Despite how far I got last time, it still eventually got to be difficult to keep up without a plan. So, while I want to try everyday to eat as healthy as possible, I may not deny myself completely. I'll start tomorrow, with a healthy filling breakfast and go on. However, I think at this time, it's far too stressful to go about paleo without a solid working plan. It's causing me far far too much stress right now to come up with enough meals to make a meal plan. Being stressed out is seriously not something I need...especially over food.

Before paleo I wasn't a cook. The most I did was pasta and eggs. So to an extent I'm grateful to Paleo for forcing me out of my dependent comfort zone, allowing me to learn new things about cooking. But...the task is daunting. I still have much to learn and much to try and I don't think I'll ever stop and my goal is to become 100% paleo. I guess this is what they call 80/20 or something. Maybe I'll try keeping diaries.

This might sound like quitting but I feel it's the best course to take until I've accumulated enough recipes that I like to make a plan. Then perhaps I can wean myself off. I feel this is a more doable thing. I want to clarify that I do not expect any health miracles by eating this way nor is it something I'm striving toward. It's only meant to be temporary! I hope to do better at not overdoing the unhealthy stuff. I'll give me time to learn new skills and try things. I just don't want the added stress of not being prepared on my head.

Obviously any advice is still wanted and appreciated.
    Last edited by Byakko; 03-05-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    F|26yr|5'3"

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    I have found that the amino acid L-glutamine helps with sugar cravings........ as far as learnig to cook goes there are tons of cookbooks online and in the bookstores, libraries yadda yadda yadda.... the best way to learn to cook is to cook..... For paleo recipes, start with Mark's cookbook, or any low carb cookbook.... and burn alot of dinners. Cook. taste, enjoy.

You only lose the war when you quit the fight......

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    I have found that the amino acid L-glutamine helps with sugar cravings........ as far as learnig to cook goes there are tons of cookbooks online and in the bookstores, libraries yadda yadda yadda.... the best way to learn to cook is to cook..... For paleo recipes, start with Mark's cookbook, or any low carb cookbook.... and burn alot of dinners. Cook. taste, enjoy.

You only lose the war when you quit the fight......
    Thanks for the tip about L-glutamine.

And I know what you're saying. But all the same I've hit a big snag and I get very easily stressed. I'd rather not be stressed about things because that messes with my IBS and just isn't good period. Every time I try to make a meal plan, I get overwhelmed and easily confused...often I simply go blank. I realize there are a multitude of recipes. But I need to find the ones I like most, accumulate enough to even think of trying to plan.

Still I won't say I'm not learning. Little by little, I'm getting a bit better at prepping vegetables early and it does save time, especially when I'm ready to eat. I reuse old glass jars as storage for my prepped veggies. I also think sweet potatoes are helping with my digestion problems.

Before when I did pale, I failed because I was not eating enough (this may be why my hair has thinned drastically and continues to fall out). I stopped eating grains and sugar and dairy but was only living off of scant meat and a little bit of fat. Nor did I have enough cooking experience and couldn't rely on mom or anyone.

I want to also make it clear that I cannot be perfectly pale/primal all the time and by that I mean most of what I eat is not organic/grass fed. I can't get fancy cuts or buy half a cow, or buy in bulk. I'm limited to what I have access to in the area, but I try to eat as clean as possible, when opportunity arises (like sales etc).

As I said, gradually I'm learning and I am being proactive almost everyday by studying cooking methods, techniques and looking for recipes.
    Last edited by Byakko; 03-08-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    You know, you probably only need about 5 dinner recipes to make a whole week's meal plan. Many families have burger night, chicken night, etc. and repeat this pattern weekly. Many people have the same breakfast and salad for lunch most days. Maybe this type of mindset would help you get going. Left over night to eat up the extras of whatever. One night can be for trying a new recipe each week so that you don't feel stressed daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    You know, you probably only need about 5 dinner recipes to make a whole week's meal plan. Many families have burger night, chicken night, etc. and repeat this pattern weekly. Many people have the same breakfast and salad for lunch most days. Maybe this type of mindset would help you get going. Left over night to eat up the extras of whatever. One night can be for trying a new recipe each week so that you don't feel stressed daily.
    You think that's enough? I've been trying to gather about a month's worth (21-31 recipes). What I am doing currently is when I make a dinner that yields 4 servings, I eat one serving that night and then I eat the rest everyday after. That's how it's always been in our house. So I'm not sure how else to do it.

And we don't have "nights" at hour house (nor have we been the type of people to eat out a lot..or at all.) My mom doesn't meal plan. She is bad at wasting food. She'll buy a bag of carrots to use in a recipe and they'll be sitting in there for weeks until they'd eventually rot. That goes with other veggies too. She doesn't take the step to preserve them by freezing them, which is something I'm trying to learn. She'll just pick a recipe and make it. My dad is bad about not eating leftovers (he won't eat chicken for dinner if he had it for lunch, no matter how it's prepared, so in turn, he sort of forces my mother to do cooking when she doesn't necessarily have to.)

Not using them as an excuse, but I'm just trying to illustrate. But then there's the point where I might want to eat leftovers for breakfast instead of dinner (eggs can get boring, but having something else to eat with them is helping. I tried something new today in fact.) I'm trying to be economical by not using more than two eggs. Stuff like that.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    You may want to check out nomnompaleo blog. She has not been posting daily lately, but if you go back six months to a year, she used to post her food daily and many recipes also. Most of us have like 5-10 go to recipes that we use all the time and mix it up with new (or old) ones as desired. She talks about making stuff like " emergency protein" which is any ground meat and the adding veg. As available after that. Having something defrosted is usually the main stumbling block for many of us.

We never had specific meals any night of the week growing up either, but I know many families that did and it does make it easier for planning and just because your family never did it doesn't mean you can't give it a try. It may relieve some of the stress you are feeling about meal planning and nothing says you can't change your mind at the last minute. If you make 4 servings, eat one, freeze one and have the next 2 for breakfast and lunch the next day if you like. Next week, you have one less dinner to make and the next day you can have eggs or salad or whatever.

What are the recipes you currently like? What is it about them you like (easy to make, texture, flavor, doesn't bug your IBS)? Maybe we can suggest other things to try or techniques to make things easier for you.

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast