Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl in White Tiger Field page 25

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    Byakko, also ck out the perfect health diet website; I have their latest book and they cover IBS in there.. It's a great read.
    Hope you had a good day.
    Thanks I will.

Meant to update yesterday about my trip to the gyno.

I decided not to get tested for my thyroid. For once I let myself trust what the doctor is saying. He said that my heart rate was nice and slow and steady where as a person with hyperthyroidism will have a faster beat. And he said that my hair falling out is probably do to a lot of things happening and that it's normal if you're under a lot of different stresses. He suggested getting my diet back on track (and thankfully didn't argue with me about not eating grains or sugar) and said I probably needed more iron. Otherwise everything checked out. So I'm glad of that.

Well it's a new year (a little unnerved by how quickly it came.)

This morning I'm starting with two eggs with a slice of bacon and some WATER. I will strive to go all day today with no sugar or breads (the sugar will be more challenging.) I'm thawing some chicken atm so it will be ready later for dinner.

I want to start the year right again. I know what I'm eating isn't good and I want to do better this time and hopefully be an even bigger inspiration to my family to eat better.
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    The nice, slow and steady heart rate is great news, B.
    I love a doctor who doesn't push grains.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    The nice, slow and steady heart rate is great news, B.
    I love a doctor who doesn't push grains.
    Considering I needed to mention my dietary changes in order to see if he could help me solve my thinning hair problem, I am glad he didn't look at me funny or anything.

My biggest hurdle in going Paleo is planning. Which is odd because normally I like making plans, but this sort of intimidates me.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Got my Practical Paleo book the day before yesterday and I've been browsing through it. It really is a great all round guide to Paleo as well as high-lighting certain health issues and how to try to fix them. I have to say I'm a little confused at the Digestive Health section for recipes and why there doesn't seem to be much mention of leafy greens. I know some with IBS can't handle the fiber but oh well. Maybe I've just got to look closer.

I appreciate the little guides to things like chopping and making bone broth etc. Those will always be handy (though it could have included some other things.) At first I wasn't sure I'd like most of the recipes but for I ended up liking a few.

I'm going to have to really work at planning and figuring out how much of which group I need to keep things harmonious because right now I know I don't eat enough carbs (well the right carbs).
    F|26yr|5'3"

It's all fun and games until someone can't put down that bagel.

Thought for Food - Wheat Addictions - The Colbert Report - 2013-09-01 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

While I respect people's choice to eat bread, I kind of hate how easily they laugh off the idea that bread/wheat is addictive. I mean come on...when you ask people to try giving it up they go nuts.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Happy belated Birthday. I haven't been around much with the hoilidays and all. Glad to see your still working on you! Something else just came to mind when I saw Judy's recommendation - I thought of GAPS also. It deals with healing the gut so that you can move on from there. Interesting info even if you decide against, but there might be something there for you. The intro stage is lots of soups made with bone broth -very comforting in the winter. I love making large batches of soup also as it is such an easy meal to warm up and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    Happy belated Birthday. I haven't been around much with the hoilidays and all. Glad to see your still working on you! Something else just came to mind when I saw Judy's recommendation - I thought of GAPS also. It deals with healing the gut so that you can move on from there. Interesting info even if you decide against, but there might be something there for you. The intro stage is lots of soups made with bone broth -very comforting in the winter. I love making large batches of soup also as it is such an easy meal to warm up and enjoy.
    Hi and thanks for the suggestion. I've heard of it but haven't looked too deeply into GAPS. Maybe I'll take a weekend and try making bone broth and ghee.

---

Last night I browsed the "Bonus" thread in the Success Stories and it kind of inspired me to get back in the game. That is to say I've wanted to but had a lot of false starts and went completely nuts with the crappy food.

I decided not to hide what I've been eating on a daily basis and I'm surprised at how I can remember.

For a while now I've been living off of
    -two different brands of cookies my mom brings home
    -Red Hots (that my dad eats by the handful)
    -a large cone of Breyers vanilla and chocolate ice cream at my grandma's
    -gallons of Kool-Aid with or without every meal
    -and two piece of toast with butter on them

Pair that with maybe a Paleo breakfast of eggs and whatever non-paleo meal my mother cooks. In other words, in between breakfast (usually eggs and bacon) and dinner (usually just some kind of meal without vegetables) I eat those sugary snack foods like it's going out of style. Not sure what made me"confess" all that. But I've had it. I feel disgusting and not just physically. I keep saying "I'll do it tomorrow" and I fail. What I should be saying is "I'll do better with my next meal"

Yet again I'm still under prepared (even though I also just bought Robb Wolf's "Paleo on a Budget") but I still want to stop eating this junk.

*goes looking for recipes*
    F|26yr|5'3"

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Yep, you've got carb flu in your future if you hope to go primal.

Haven't been eating primal, except for maybe breakfast and dinner but not nearly as many good carbs. Been thinking for a while. I took some time a few moments ago to back track and read over my first week of being paleo. I'm glad I made notes along the way. But I think a lot of the same problems remain; namely planning. After pondering I think these are the main things that need to be addressed.

-I need more vegetables (I'm trying to figure out what to eat to achieve 50-100g of carbs each day because I do want to lose body fat)
    -I need to eat a lunch (which means more sleep and getting up earlier) otherwise I pig out late afternoon and into the night)
    -I need to stop depending so heavily on eggs for breakfast, even if I include bacon.
    -I need to do as much batch cooking as possible, as early as possible (cooking late, when you're hungry, when mom is trying to cook is beyond annoying.)
    -I need to prepare better travel food options. (I don't want to produce fast food waste or depend too heavily on that food)
    -I need to be more resourceful about food waste as well as perhaps growing own herbs and propagation.
    -I should probably add extra fat to a meal, just in case.
    -EXERCISE.

Yeah I think that's it. I hope that if I eat enough I won't have as many problems with cravings or energy. Gonna go over my Whole30 and Practical Paleo books (can't seem to find my PB book atm).

Want to say something else. While I love that Practical Paleo includes a plan for those with digestive problems, I still wonder if it would really help me. I didn't see a lot of leafy raw vegetables options and it's mostly starchy things like squash, potatoes etc. I realize more people with IBS probably have diarrhea and need the bulk and probiotics to help them recover. But I don't have that so I just question if it's going to make constipation worse (heck even eating bananas gets me a little worried though I never exceed one in a day.) If anyone sees this and has had issues with constipation and have tried eating more starchy veggies, tell me how it went.

...I still wish my parents (namely my dad) would at least try to eat better. I keep thinking maybe if I get ripped he'll see me and want to do something.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Meal 1
    1 banana
    2 eggs, 1 cup of spinach, 1 strip of bacon (cooked in bacon fat)

Ugh well it started okay enough. But when downhill quickly.
    But I'm going to keep working at it.
    Last edited by Byakko; 01-24-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast