Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl in White Tiger Field page 2

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hey, another white tiger. My call sign in the military (pilot) was Tora Shiro. Given to me by one of our instructor pilots because I was aggressive (physically) and my eyes are the same blue as the white Siberian tigers.

Changing the family is probably never going to happen. Just keep working on yourself and you will be very happy. View the obstacles as something you have to overcome, because when you do you will be stronger and more fulfilled in the long run.
    Last edited by IcarianVX; 11-28-2011 at 09:56 AM.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    I'm starting to think my stomach doesn't like eggs.
    I don't feel particularly energized eating them alone (despite cooking them in olive oil).
    Sometimes I get either very slight stomach pain or my stomach just makes a lot of gross sounds.
    Normally I cook with two for myself. Too much, too little?
    Often times eating breakfast in the morning (no matter what it is) can make me sick. This usually happens on the weekends for some weird reason.

Also I'm beginning to wonder if I should just wing it, as onalark pointed out and go about eliminating things. At this time, we have very little nutritious food in this house. Some vegetables, little fruits, lots of grains though. Should I starve and eat primally when I can or just put something in my body? I haven't a clue. One thing is certain, though. I have to learn to plan meals and learn to cook. It does me no good having things in the house and not knowing what to do with it! It's maddening. And I'm a total virgin when it comes to dealing with meat (aside from eggs.) Cooking meat has always seemed involved and time consuming and even dangerous (mom fries the hell out of most meats she cooks and often small drops of oil will jump on her.)

My way of eating has never been stable or rounded out. Before eating the CW, I ate what I liked. Afterwords, I began to cut calories and I haven't been able to get out of a rut. I'm either starving myself (ie. not getting enough calories by following the "wait 3 hours" route) or when I do eat half of the things I consume (binge on) are bad (sugar, grains, dairy). Right now it's hard to tell what upsets my stomach. The cereal I used to enjoy without much problems suddenly leave me with pain after 15 minutes. Maybe I'm subconsciously telling myself it's unhealthy and end up with a physical reaction. Who knows!

To make things more irritating, I just learned my favorite (and only) chocolate indulgence, Green&Blacks, contains milk and is produced along side soy and peanuts. *shakes fist* I'm not a total chocoholic but I love the stuff. Ironically, as kid, I'd had an allergy to it and it broke me out. Somewhere along the way I no longer got chicken pox-like bumps after eating it, which pleased me. In my late teens, it didn't take long for me to enjoy dark chocolate and abandon the milk variety. Bleh...well I guess I should either give up chocolate altogether or find another brand. Maybe one day I won't feel the desire to have a treat for the sake of it.

IcarianVX : Cool! Ironically my school mascot was the tiger as well. The kanji for my name in Japanese also happens to contain "white" and "tiger" so that's where I got my username. I felt it was kind of empowering and I seriously want to channel that strength and ferocity and balance it with that ever-present feline calm.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Not an egg fan at breakfast. I go for cold meat (chicken, steak, pork), plain yogurt, plain cottage cheese, or I fry up a hamburger patty. I find I tolerate hardboiled eggs better than scrambled or fried, but I just don't care for eggs.

Good luck!

onalark: Thanks.
    Usually I like eggs but I think I've been eating them so frequently that I'm losing interest. I usually scramble them or make an omelet. I'll try the hard-boiled eggs (I like my eggs cooked and not runny/raw.)

I had bad stomach cramps last night and this morning, but I'm thankful they weren't prolonged. I suppose it's because I binged on sugar yesterday. There's nothing in the house and we don't have any money to get food yet. I'll probably end up eating a can of Progresso soup for one of my meals (though it has noodles and it's probably heavily processed.)

This morning I had a small victory. I spent time looking at one of my mom's cookbooks (A Taste Of Home: Diet Cookbook). Before I decided to go primal/paleo, we ate several different dishes listed in this book. However now that I'm becoming more of a meat eater and leaving breads and sugar behind, the book isn't particularly helpful unless you're a vegan/vegetarian. (It's kind of disheartening to see a book filled with foods that include all of the forbidden groups.) Still I thumb through it, hoping a nice recipes pops up onto the pages.

And then, near the front of the book, I found a quick, easy and seemingly paleo friendly recipe for turkey patties for breakfast (an alternative to pork, though I don't mind pork sausage.) It's 86 calories so I'm pretty sure one serving (out of 8) is not going to be enough to satiate me. Should I pair it with eggs or vegetables or some other protein or fat? I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out how to work fat into my eating (aside from cooking oil and nuts.) I've got a salad recipe that includes almonds and avocados as well as a bit of olive oil in the dressing but otherwise it's meatless.

The tricky bit of all of this is planning. I do no wish to visit the store and be unprepared to deal the groceries I'm getting. Otherwise they end up wasted. And the worst part is the middle and end of the month. Food always runs short. Mom fails to plan for this (though it'd be easier if they'd stop buying junky treats.) I'm pretty content with your standard orange as my dessert.

I do not have access to a Trader Joe's (in ATL) or a Costco (which is now a 45min drive from home) and I can't remember the last time I saw bulk bins in major chain non-health food stores that weren't candy.

Ironically my uncle and his family, who live right across the road, raise beef. I can literally walk outside my front door and stare at the big fat dirty black bull who constantly makes a total racket while trying to impress the others. It's not often they offer us any meat. They have in the past (as well as pork that they briefly tried to keep.) We regularly donated excess eggs from their many chickens, which is great. And my cousin will offer me vegetables and herbs at times. But we can't always rely on them (for a few different reasons which I won't go into.)

However I'm thankful that I've lived in the country my whole life and I feel I do have a better connection to my food source than others (not to mention the pecan trees we have all around, so free pecans...if we can beat the crows to them.)

If anyone has any tips on what sorts of things I should buy in bulk (in case of a rare visit to Costco...we don't even have a membership) let me know.

Guess I'll go make myself some more eggs.

One thing: Apparently scrambled eggs and dill are BFF.
    I'm still sick of eggs, but it was a new taste that was somewhat harmonious.

One thing: Apparently scrambled eggs and dill are BFF.
    I'm still sick of eggs, but it was a new taste that was somewhat harmonious.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    DO NOT view things as forbidden. They are "forbidden" for a reason. They are toxic. View them as toxic and you will be much happier and you won't bring about a large mind-fuck every time you see a biscuit. Most people fail because they obsess about what they are giving up. The only thing you are giving up is a life of chubbiness and a roller coaster of sickness. Stick with the foods that you CAN have and you will make it through all the BS.

Adding eggs to the turkey will not only satiate you, but it will help it stick together. You can also put butter on it after you have cooked it. Butter just makes meat taste better. I put it (Kerrygold only) on most of my steaks.

Here's a tip from one albino feline to another; be extra nice to your uncle and start talking to him about what you are doing. Take an interest in some of the stuff he does with raising the animals and I bet he will offer you some. Even if you have to pay, I am sure you will get some sort of proximity (both geographically and blood-wise) discount.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

IcarianVX: You crack me up but you're very correct. I wasn't even paying attention to my terminology! D:
    And you're right. My brain knows it's bad. My body knows it makes me feel bad. Why am I ignoring the signs?
    It's just difficult when you don't have much food around and you're starving. But from now on I'll try to find more recipes and plan as much as I can so that food doesn't run too low.

That's a good idea! Sort of like salmon patties (though mom adds bread to hers.)
    I'm iffy on butter atm. I like it but I wonder how it differs from regular dairy, something I'm trying to give up.
    I guess what I do is more paleo than primal but I will look more into using butter on things.
    It would be nice to use sense it's easy to get and everyone uses it. Geez that CW is a hard thing to get rid of!

Well...I'd do better speaking with my aunt or older cousin. My uncle is really not someone I wish to speak with if I don't have to. He tends to create a lot of problems and general familial animosity (he's not a blood-relation.) But it's not all his fault I suppose. He came into contact with some chemicals (I believe it's called Agent Orange?) while in the Vietnam War. Not to mention they aren't the best of farmers when it comes to cows. Just before it got really cold my dad cut the lawn and I spent a little while raking the clippings into the pasture so the cows could enjoy it (and they seemed appreciative.) I feel bad for them. They always poke their heads through the wire fence to get at the fresh grass in our yard.

BUT I understand what you mean. I've been over there lots of times and I'm aware of the work they put into taking care of animals (they've got 7 pets, 2 horses, numerous cows, 20-30 chickens and guinea fowl and perhaps a hog or two somewhere.) I totally get your meaning. I think more people should be in touch with where their Big Mac comes from. I'm not particularly squeamish which I guess I have my dad to thank (he used to fish and hunt deer.) However, I've not physically done the work myself so you're on the money in that respect too. I actually come from a farm family. My grandpa had a farm and my aunts, uncle and dad had to milk them growing up (they sold the milk to PET.)

Sorry to ramble!

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast