Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl in White Tiger Field page 17

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Have you ever tried probiotics? This may help your digestion. There are many yogurt choices that have them. You could possibly look into making saurkraut or buy Bubbies brand that is still partially alive - even pickles. Heath food stores have many other options if you ask them for help. Just an idea as I have not seen this type of food in your food log. Don't despair! You can not see much of the healing that happens on the inside of your body, but little by little, things will start to change if you give it a chance. If you really worry about your health so much, get a check-up. You may be surprised and find a helpfull, understanding doc. Baseline blood tests can tell if your vit D is low plus MANY other things. Do some research on the docs available to you and find one that fits your style.

socoolnanny is offline Member
    Keep with it girl, have been reading your posts and I am impressed that you have stuck with it. It may feel like it is hard but look on it as a challenge to better things not as something you must endure. Positive mental attitude, I am sure you have heard this before but as a mantra it is powerful (like the tiger). I agree with Mudflinger, have you tried organic pro/prebiotic natural yoghurts, they are great over fresh berries with mixed nuts and seeds sprinkled on top. Try it for breakfast or a dessert or even when you get the munchies. Stay strong, Debra.

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Mud Flinger: Some months ago I did try them. I was trying to see a nutritionist who specialized with IBS and the like. She told me to try an elimination diet of sorts (only certain non-paleo foods were still allowed). She also told me to take digestive enzymes and Trifala (though at the start there was some mix up and she confused the hell out of me, which made me buy probiotics instead.) I didn't see/feel any improvement, but that was when I stopped taking that prescription Zantac. I hope to get a check up soon. Even though I'm young, I think it's time I start paying attention to my health closely. I need to know my BP, Cholesterol and all that other stuff and see if I'm malnourished. (Probably am.) I'm a tad afraid of telling the doctor what I've been doing on my own because they'll probably freak and tell me to quit.

I have been thinking there may be issues with gut flora (though I am IBS-C not D.) It doesn't seem normal not to go when I've eaten enough. I used to eat yogurt. Mainly Stoneyfield (before that Yoplait.) Is there a certain brand I need to consider? I confess I'm not fond of plain yogurt. *gag* I have been looking for some pickles. It's pretty annoying to not find pickles that aren't laced with crap. Next time i'm at a health food store I'll try looking for Bubbies.

socoolnanny: Thanks for your encouragement. It wasn't right to freak out and lose it like that. Maybe I was having some stress and couldn't take it. Whether I stay paleo or not, I still believe in eating real food. But I hate that "forbidden" feeling when you're away from home and around others who are enjoying themselves and you're sitting around not participating (even if it's unhealthy). Amazing how some people keep forgetting you're not eating certain foods.

Are there certain brands of yogurt that are more potent?

Thanks again.
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

....I really don't feel like logging anything in today. I didn't eat any differently from the last day.

Starting to hit that point where I'm getting wary, but I still want to continue.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    As far as yogurt goes, just try to find one that's full fat or as high a fat content as you can and has less additives (obviously, not yoplait). Fage is a good one. Since you like it sweet, make sure it is either honey or just sugar sweetened (no HFCS). If in doubt, buy it plain and add your own fruit (best to do it this way) so that you know what is in it.

If you are worried about what the doc may say, tell him/her that you have found that grains bother you so you are leaving them out for a while. Tell them that you are trying to focus on whole foods that are not processed. After you have established a baseline that works for you, you may decide to add other foods back in. This is not that radical. Most docs don't have patients that are willing to do this much work to heal themselves. They have been taught to lean on drugs. Can you go to a holistic or paleo doc? If you have access to such, consider yourself lucky. Most of us have to pay out of pocket for an "out of network" doc as most of these are. If nothing else, you can get some baseline tests done and cross that doc off your list of people to try....

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    As far as yogurt goes, just try to find one that's full fat or as high a fat content as you can and has less additives (obviously, not yoplait). Fage is a good one. Since you like it sweet, make sure it is either honey or just sugar sweetened (no HFCS). If in doubt, buy it plain and add your own fruit (best to do it this way) so that you know what is in it.

If you are worried about what the doc may say, tell him/her that you have found that grains bother you so you are leaving them out for a while. Tell them that you are trying to focus on whole foods that are not processed. After you have established a baseline that works for you, you may decide to add other foods back in. This is not that radical. Most docs don't have patients that are willing to do this much work to heal themselves. They have been taught to lean on drugs. Can you go to a holistic or paleo doc? If you have access to such, consider yourself lucky. Most of us have to pay out of pocket for an "out of network" doc as most of these are. If nothing else, you can get some baseline tests done and cross that doc off your list of people to try....
    I'll look into the yogurt. I really tried to limit the dairy but I can't say if I'm lactose intolerant. Still, because of my IBS, maybe some dairy..or something fermented will help? Don't know.

I don't have the luxury of doctor-hopping so if I do go to any doctor I just want some tests done. That's all. I tried a more "holistic" nutritionist earlier this year and she didn't tell me anything different than what I'm already doing, except the with the addition of supplements (which did nothing.) But I hope they won't side-eye me. Sometimes I think SOME doctors don't want you to get well. But hopefully he'll be glad to hear I'm trying to eat clean.

---

My aunt in Michigan sent me a book by Deepak Chopra a few months ago about digestion. There's a lot of Ayurvedic talk in it; some of it seriously does not jive with Primal or Paleo. For instance, it talks about forgoing certain veggies and eating gluten-free grains. Or eating less red meat and being more vegetarian. I didn't like the overall tone because it smacks with a lot of CW and Ayurvedic crap I don't really get with, but there seemed to be a few gems.

He mentioned ghee/clarified butter and even included instructions on making it.
    There was a mention of mindful eating.
    It was also suggested that one should try an all liquid diet for a day out of the weak. This last one is new to me and might be worth looking into (what with teas and bone broths being mentioned.)
    F|26yr|5'3"

-I have eaten a fair amount of fat and nothing happens.
    -I'm drinking water...nothing happens.
    -I'm eating vegetables...nothing happens.
    -I'm chewing my food slowly and giving myself at least 20 minutes to eat. Nothing happens.

So..despite having slightly better skin and a waist that's 2in smaller, I haven't felt any other differences and tomorrow is the last day of Week 3 on Paleo. I'm almost afraid to eat for fear that it's just going to sit and rot in my gut. Because of this I'm probably not going to feel any new energy. I don't know if I'm low on certain nutrients or if that even makes a difference (like vitamin D or magnesium or whatever.)

My diet isn't exemplary, but I'd say it's a hell of a lot better from when I started. Yet...I don't feel better. I think that's why I dread cooking. I don't have the energy to rise to the challenge of it. I was hoping this week something would click, but it hasn't. I won't deny that I've learned several things and I'm happy about that, but I feel gross and just plain run down.

I've been experiencing pain in the left side of my abdomen, which indicates to me that the food is just sitting in my large intestine. Despite the roughage and fat I've been consuming, there's been hardly any change elsewhere.

M1: omelet with bacon
    S: banana
    S: handful of walnuts
    S: hot dog
    S: apple
    M2: chicken leg with kale
    ...I won't deny I may have a few grapes...
    F|26yr|5'3"

I think I'm going to take a time out and get personal so if you don't like it don't read please. I'm going to basically describe what's happening with my body. I know I'm not finished with the Paleo/Primal transition but for the sake of record keeping I want to mention these things.

Since starting Paleo/Primal some things haven't changed and continue to plague me.

-bowel habits haven't changed, despite eating more fat and vegetables
    -on the infamous stool chart I'm typically at #1 and #2 (when I go that is)
    -I'm still not able to pinpoint trigger foods
    -even when I was non-paleo there were some cases where food X would not give me problems, but at some other time food X would cause me problems
    -maybe 1 or 2 bathroom visits a week if I'm lucky
    -some bloat (not as much) some gas, bad joint pain (mostly in lower body), typically nausea if I start feeling bad
    -brain fog, lethargy
    -pain/cramps/flares typically occur at night
    -pain on left side of abdomen

That's all I can think of so far. I'm hoping these things will lead me to other options. I'm exhausted just thinking about how and where to start tweaking my diet. Apparently I'm one of those people who the Paleo/Primal diet doesn't help right off the bat and needs adjusting. I suppose I'll make a list of things to consider trying.
    F|26yr|5'3"

onalark is offline Senior Member
    If you have serious IBS issues, then you may need to try an elimination diet. You may need to try eliminating FODMAPs. Or it's possible the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) is what you need. Unfortunately, the only way to know if these things would be helpful is to get super restrictive, and I think from what I remember of your life, that's not the easiest thing to do.

Cutting out FODMAPs or following the SCD requires a lot more cooking, and all but eliminates a lot of "convenience" foods. When I did my 30-day elimination, we barely ate out. I had to get very specific with the cooks at the restaurants I went to, and after a while I got tired of feeling like I was "putting upon" servers. It was just easier to stay home and cook something up that I knew was "safe".

Further reading:
    Why Paleo didn't fix my IBS | Melissa McEwen's on food anthropology, economics, and culture

Good luck, and keep experimenting. You are your own best advocate.

socoolnanny is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Well, I am in the UK so I do not know if you get similar foodstuffs. I eat Yeo Valley organic natural yoghurt with all the healthy stuff still in it. It is locally produced so I don't know if it is widely available outside the UK. Look for organic natural yoghurt, not the low fat stuff, and add it to stewed fruit or nuts. Natural full fat Greek yoghurt is good too. I have IBS with diverticulitis as well as two different types of arthritis and asthma so I have to be careful also what I eat. Yoghurt actually feels soothing as you eat it. I cannot eat seafoods so diet is limited. Be careful with salads as I find that is too acidic but green leaf veg and sweet potato is quite soothing. Take care, Debra

Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast