Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Girl in White Tiger Field page 13

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As far as explaining yourself, just say that you've found that certain foods make you feel bad and that you are trying to sort this stuff out. Admit that you don't have all the answers but are looking for them and have been doing some research on the computer. You may also point out that all of the foods that you are avoiding may not be the problem but since you are still figuring all this out, it is better the avoid a non-problem causer than to feel bad because you allowed something that bothers you in. People with food alergies will get it. Others will just have to accept that you are trying to feel better. No one who truely loves you can fault you for that.

I think you may need more variety. While it may feel easier or safe to stick with the same foods each day, variety is important to round out nutritional needs. How about some bacon or sausage for breakfast or lunch. Try making your own mayo and mix it with some tuna and celery or chicken and apples. Add a handfull of almonds or sunflower seeds to sprinkle on top of a salad. A little nut butter on an apple is yummy for a snack or part of a meal. Try something new today!

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    I'll try to round it out more. I just find I'm not so hungry (and ever on the look out for recipes that will be tasty but not entirely labor-intensive.) Plus I have to be careful with certain ingredients, even if they're Paleo/Primal. Like too much chili powder, or onion or garlic might make me feel bad. Right now I eat like a pigeon because I sometimes find the amount of food daunting but for a few years now I've been eating this way. Not sure why and it does worry me. Like what amount of vegetables should I eat at each meal, how much protein...and that's when I get into the realm of having to count which just becomes more stressful.

I like bacon and sausage but I read it may not be good to consume too much processed meat (I try not to eat hot dogs much either). And while I'd LOVE to make "mayo" I am incredibly dubious if not worried about consuming raw egg. I already have sensitive/compromised digestion, last thing I need is to be poisoned by a germ. I'm not into eating raw anything if it comes from an animal (like I don't eat rare or medium rare meat).

Also is it common to get a sore jaw on primal diet? A few days ago my jaw was killing me. I guess all the chewing?
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Mom sent this link to me (possibly an attempt to convince me I have no need to fear and cut out grains.) Should You Go Grain-Free? An Interview With Ann Marie Michaels | Food Renegade
    F|26yr|5'3"

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Ask the opposite. "Should I eat grains?" and why. If you can find one redeeming thing about grains in regards to a person's health, the government has a paycheck for you. There is nothing good in grains. Only harm, or at best no damage, is possible.

I feel AMAZING after two years of eating this way. What do I eat? Bacon, steak, chicken, fish, avocados, eggs, tallow, greens, onions, berries, nuts, spices. Supplements magnesium, D and potassium. Homebrew Kombucha, obscene amounts of coconut milk, tea and coffee. And my labs are great!

EDIT: MISSING COMMA.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 09-05-2012 at 05:10 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I read the article and noticed that she said that she began by following a GAPS type diet. Read into GAPS. It is very much like primal and may be the answer you look for. You drink bone broth daily as it is very nutritious and healing. This article may or may not be the answer for you, but I also notice that thay talk about preparing grains properly. Almost no one knows how to do this these days as it takes time. Soaking things over night in buttermilk and sprouting other things. It is very difficult to buy food prepared this way. It seems to me that your mom is starting to understand what you are trying to do and offering other possible solutions. The first steps are where you are at now - An elimination diet and healing your gut. Experimenting by adding foods back in happens later. Also, if you have a fructose malabsorbtion problem, the banana and grapes you've had lately will surely be causing you problems as they are some very high sugar (fructose) fruits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    I read the article and noticed that she said that she began by following a GAPS type diet. Read into GAPS. It is very much like primal and may be the answer you look for. You drink bone broth daily as it is very nutritious and healing. This article may or may not be the answer for you, but I also notice that thay talk about preparing grains properly. Almost no one knows how to do this these days as it takes time. Soaking things over night in buttermilk and sprouting other things. It is very difficult to buy food prepared this way. It seems to me that your mom is starting to understand what you are trying to do and offering other possible solutions. The first steps are where you are at now - An elimination diet and healing your gut. Experimenting by adding foods back in happens later. Also, if you have a fructose malabsorbtion problem, the banana and grapes you've had lately will surely be causing you problems as they are some very high sugar (fructose) fruits.
    It's possible. I'd rather not eat grains though. I feel they have addictive aspects and I want to get any sort of addiction out of my life. It seems the 3 main things that are cut out of a paleo/primal diet happen to be the most addictive. People HAVE to have their bread/pasta, ice cream or sugar. At this stage I still miss it however. Grapes I know are fodmaps but not sure about bananas. Ripe bananas I heard were okay but if they've gotten old and brown they can be too sweet.

Right now I am "formulating" some meal ideas that wouldn't be too difficult. Wish me luck. I hope this ends up being a good place to start!
    F|26yr|5'3"

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Ask the opposite. "Should I eat grains?" and why. If you can find one redeeming thing about grains in regards to a person's health, the government has a paycheck for you. There is nothing good in grains. Only harm, or at best no damage, is possible.

I feel AMAZING after two years of eating this way. What do I eat? Bacon, steak, chicken, fish, avocados, eggs, tallow greens, onions, berries, nuts, spices. Supplements magnesium, D and potassium. Homebrew Kombucha, obscene amounts of coconut milk, tea and coffee. And my labs are great!
    It's good you feel better having given up those things. Since starting (as you may have read) my skin has improved a little and I've lost some puffiness in my stomach. Even though right now I still miss grains, I'm not wanting to find out if they'll bring back problems.
    F|26yr|5'3"

M1: banana, handful of carrots, 1 drumstick
    S: a taste of dark chocolate
    M2: salmon with vegetables
    S: (probably grapes, if not an orange)

Well I did not eat much today but M2 (aka dinner) went unfinished. I think I did get satisfied/full but unfortunately it was covered in Lawry's seasoning salt. Mom made the salmon so I was sharing it with dad. But OMG that much salt is so off putting. I have to find an organic salt free alternative. If I can, then maybe I have found another good recipe. The lemon salmon I made before, while pretty, was too bitter/sour. But Lawry's has such crap ingredients. Still, I wasn't going to pass up on salmon just because of one lousy ingredient. I also need to try to learn to eat slower. If something is tasty I have a tendency to eat faster.

Even if I don't get a full nights sleep, I think I will start to use my alarm clock. It's not a good feeling to stay in bed so late. I think it contributes to me not being very hungry as well as not having a good routine of eating. I realize that I need to be able to rise early without the use of one but I think it's what I should do.
    F|26yr|5'3"

M1: banana, handful of carrots, 1 drumstick
    S: a taste of dark chocolate
    M2: salmon with vegetables
    S: (probably grapes, if not an orange)

Well I did not eat much today but M2 (aka dinner) went unfinished. I think I did get satisfied/full but unfortunately it was covered in Lawry's seasoning salt. Mom made the salmon so I was sharing it with dad. But OMG that much salt is so off putting. I have to find an organic salt free alternative. If I can, then maybe I have found another good recipe. The lemon salmon I made before, while pretty, was too bitter/sour. But Lawry's has such crap ingredients. Still, I wasn't going to pass up on salmon just because of one lousy ingredient. I also need to try to learn to eat slower. If something is tasty I have a tendency to eat faster.

Even if I don't get a full nights sleep, I think I will start to use my alarm clock. It's not a good feeling to stay in bed so late. I think it contributes to me not being very hungry as well as not having a good routine of eating. I realize that I need to be able to rise early without the use of one but I think it's what I should do.
    F|26yr|5'3"

It takes like 6-12 months for many to heal their gut issues, so think about adding back grains like next summer if you do decide to experiment. Many consider white rice a fairly safe option though, so maybe later this fall you can experiment with that. Raw onions never bothered me when I was younger, but I think Ibuprofen overuse really did a number on my gut. I have been off the stuff (ibuprofen or "Advil") for about 1&3/4 years now (about the same amount of time that I've been eating this way) and I noticed earlier this year that wasabi (with sushi) no longer munched my stomach and since I have found that the raw onion is ok now too.

Let me suggest a recipe your family should all like because this is a hit with everyone I know (and none of them are primal).
    Pulled Pork: (Pork roasts are quite cheap - so a bonus with the parents - I always get a big one)

In a crock pot, put about 6 pieces of bacon - line the bottom with it. Next add a couple of onions, either roughly chopped or simply sliced. Put pork roast on top and add a little salt (1/2 tsp) and black pepper if you like it (I put lots - like 2 tsp). Let it cook over night on low and some time the next day, shread it up with 2 forks and add a can of crushed pineapple, juice and all. Let it continue to cook until dinner. It's a little sweet and a little salty and totally yum! It can be served with BBQ sauce on buns for the bread eaters and with coleslaw for anyone else. The cole slaw I make is also super simple - either shread the cabbage and grate the carrot yourself, or buy the ready shreaded in the produce section at the grocery. Add a little mayo and some more pineapple (either crushed or chunks) with just a little of the juice. If you have no mayo, just add the pineapple and it's super refreshing.

I also like to put my crock pot out on my back deck so that the yummy pork cooking smell doesn't keep the family up at night.
    There will be lots of left overs so plan to put some in the freezer for another day.

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast