Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    B: 2 eggs, 1 cup spinach
    S: banana
    L: 2 AG hotdogs
    D: two chicken breasts and 1 cup of kale
    S: grapes

Some things

-the more I cook the more I want and need my own space and my own kitchen supplies. The kitchen is usually a mess but with me cooking more along with mom's cooking, it's using up more stuff. Definitely need some wooden tools.

-I need to cook when mom isn't cooking. Since I'm still a newb cook it's more stressful for me to have to do stuff when maneuvering around one or two other people in the kitchen, not to mention the extra mess. I welcome her help but I'd like to keep the kitchen for myself.

-I'm having more cravings for sweet things lately; both for fruit and baked treats. I'm possibly not getting enough of something.

-Still not having regular bathroom visits. Today I felt like I had to go but couldn't (not to mention I had to leave the house and didn't have time to go.)

-PLANNING

-I need more finger foods, especially if I'm not getting enough during a meal.

-Getting tired of eggs and I'm already over spinach. (Thankfully mom got some kale for me.)

-I feel bad when I see other people eating what they want. (Mom just made Sausage Pizza, a favorite of mine.) And being trapped in a car while the others eat their fast food is not fun.

-sometimes I think Paleo "baking" just isn't worth it.

-I want a fruity drink, like lemonade.

*crawls in a hole*
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    It sounds to me like there is an underlying discontent in your life from some of the comments you make. What do you do with your days? Go to school? Work? Part time or full time on those? You mention that you sleep in late and don't sound very happy about that. What makes you want to get up in the morning? Do you stay up late at night playing video games, watching TV or reading? I ask these things because I want you to think about what path you are on, what you want and how to get there.

As far as cooking goes, why not plan some time in the kitchen when you know mom wont be there so that you can play alone. Maybe later in the eveneings or mid afternoon or a marathon on the weekend to prep for the next week and maybe make a healthy feast for the family. I often prep for dinner early in the day as my motivation often approaches zero close to dinner time and I'd much rather be playing in the pool with my son.

Check out some of the paleo baking treat recipes on here - you may be surprised at the yummy stuff that you can make. Check out Elanaspantry.com for more recipes - she does lots of almond flour and coconut flour stuff. These sites saved me when I went primal as I took the family with me by captive. Having some bread like stuff and treat seriously kept them from rioting!

Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    It sounds to me like there is an underlying discontent in your life from some of the comments you make. What do you do with your days? Go to school? Work? Part time or full time on those? You mention that you sleep in late and don't sound very happy about that. What makes you want to get up in the morning? Do you stay up late at night playing video games, watching TV or reading? I ask these things because I want you to think about what path you are on, what you want and how to get there.

As far as cooking goes, why not plan some time in the kitchen when you know mom wont be there so that you can play alone. Maybe later in the eveneings or mid afternoon or a marathon on the weekend to prep for the next week and maybe make a healthy feast for the family. I often prep for dinner early in the day as my motivation often approaches zero close to dinner time and I'd much rather be playing in the pool with my son.

Check out some of the paleo baking treat recipes on here - you may be surprised at the yummy stuff that you can make. Check out Elanaspantry.com for more recipes - she does lots of almond flour and coconut flour stuff. These sites saved me when I went primal as I took the family with me by captive. Having some bread like stuff and treat seriously kept them from rioting!
    I don't mind saying so but I'd rather not put it here. I'll PM it.

My family (especially mom) is awfully picky when it comes to tastes. She won't even venture to cook with coconut oil. And my dad often side-eyes something I make for myself (the ironic thing is he grew up on a farm, milking cows and suddenly "grassfed meat" is weird to him. But he had the nerve to eat one of the burgers I made. Dx) I just want to work on myself right now, get myself healthy. And that's why I need to plan more and that's causing me some stress because I need to figure out how to get into a kind of cycle where I don't have to think too hard about what to make/eat.

As to the baking, I tried making some little "pancakes". It was 2 bananas, 1 egg and a bit of almond butter. Personally I can't justify spending a bunch of money on specialty flours when there's meat to worry about so that's the only reason I tried to do it. Basically it wouldn't form right and just became a mushy burnt mound. I got frustrated when I wrote that last entry, for many different reasons.
    F|26yr|5'3"

I barely at anything today.
    B/L: 1 banana, two pieces of chicken breasts
    S: a few baby carrots
    D: 2 eggs, some green and red peppers.

Today is officially the 1 week mark of me going paleo/primal. I didn't think I'd make it, but I did and I'm proud of myself for getting this far; proud and surprised. It wasn't a perfect record but I was able to resist the foods that are not good for me. I didn't cheat or cave. I didn't even eat a milk chocolate Hershey kiss or Fun size candy bar. I was lucky to be rewarded with changes that also inspired me to keep it up and if I can get my rear in gear to make better plans, not be lazy etc then I hope to do even better.

Positive Changes
    -My skin has improved. It's not a drastic change, but it has changed. I had a dry flakey T-zone before starting. I can say that isn't the case now. My face seems softer, not as dull.

-My stomach is not as bloated. I started with a 34" waistline and a heavy feeling in my gut. Now on Day 7, I have a 32" waistline...and honestly I can't remember the last time my stomach was that small. For a year or so I've been yo-yoing. But my clothing fits differently; my bra doesn't choke the life out of me, my jeans are not poking out, my shirts give me more wiggle room. This confirms that I seem to lose weight around my middle first because I haven't observed changes elsewhere. As for pounds lost? I'm not focusing on that because weight fluctuates so much. I may have lost a pound or two. I have a feeling despite being petite I'm not going to lose a ton of weight. My body structure is thicker and this makes it harder to pin point a Goal Weight. Let me state for the record that I did not exercise during this week.

-I learned to make burgers and found it to be easier than previously imagined.

-I earned more cooking experience points. I do still get a bit nervous and sometimes want someone to observe me and tell me if I'm doing okay, but the point is I'm more involved and I've been depending myself to provide the meals. I haven't eaten anything my mom has prepared (even though I'd like to.)

-It's minor but, I was allowed a small space in one of the cupboards for all my primal/paleo things. My coconut oil, olive oil, fish sauce, ACV, dark chocolate etc. It's nice to know I have a corner for myself and on the opposite end where they keep their "goodies". It's just a shelf, but I like knowing I can go to it and see what makes up my primal/paleo diet at a glance.

What didn't happen
    -Cravings are still there (especially when hungry), but less intense at least.
    -Not a lot of extra energy, but it's probably because I'm not eating well rounded meals or getting enough supplementation and quite probably lack of proper sleep.
    -Not much change in digestion. I probably need more fat...?

Where I need to improve
    -...PLANNING PLANNING PLANNING. Not having a plan HURTS you, especially when you're trapped in a house that still has a lot of the junk you shouldn't eat. This is not something to experience when trying to start and transition.
    -I need more sleep.
    -Stop being lazy. I have a tendency to try to scout out recipes that won't take long, but it seems I'm a little bored by them. Sometimes I just want a bunch of flavor and if I limit myself I won't get it. I need to stop being lazy and just cook it.
    -Exercising/being active more. Even if it's just dancing or yoga, I have to get moving.

Well that's all I can think of to say atm. I'm happy to have made it to a week and I want to continue into the next week, and the next.
    F|26yr|5'3"

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    You have done great in your first week!!!! As young as you are and to have temptations all around, very few people would have been able to resist the cravings, especially candy bars. Be very proud of yourself and know the planning will become easier and easier as you continue to get stronger. Tears came into my eyes when I read about your little spot in the cupboards. Hang in there; you are doing an awesome job.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    You have done great in your first week!!!! As young as you are and to have temptations all around, very few people would have been able to resist the cravings, especially candy bars. Be very proud of yourself and know the planning will become easier and easier as you continue to get stronger. Tears came into my eyes when I read about your little spot in the cupboards. Hang in there; you are doing an awesome job.
    Thanks. It seemed almost impossible at the time and when I started it was really tough.

The shelf was under-utilized and so it's mine atm. But it's nice to have definitely. I'd advise anyone who lives with others who are non-paleo/primal to get something like that. It's good to not have to riffle through temptation to get what you need. And thanks for cheering me on. I know that that has helped me progress. <3
    F|26yr|5'3"

B: chicken breast with kale
    S: part of a banana
    L: Mcdonald's Bacon Rance salad
    S: Larabar

...kind of craving something salty. I might have a boiled egg.

Still sort of stressed about generating a plan and sticking to it faithfully.
    F|26yr|5'3"

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Just get a notebook that you're not using and list bkfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, liquids, supplements/vitamins and exercise. Under each heading, list your favorite primal foods and make a meal plan on another sheet for a few days or even long as a week, then you can make a grocery list from that. Run it by your mom, if she says no to certain foods, make substitutions you can live with. Make a note under liquids of how much water you drink, a vitamin everyday, and what exercise you do.

Have you started exercising even a little everyday? You can find fitness shows on tv, do yoga you mentioned, deep breathing sooo good for you, walk when u can. If you ever start and stick with it, you'll be in such a good mood and won't go a day without doing a little something to force new oxygen to your brain.

Avocados are a dollar each at Kroger. They are full of fiber and good fat, (you know to subtract fiber from carbs to get net carbs) they keep in the fridge great. Peel one, eat half with a little hot sauce on top of scrambled eggs or tuna, put seran wrap on the exposed area of the other half and save for later. They fill u up like nothing else. Cheese and olives fabulous snack.

By now your mom must have noticed you're not eating the junk, candy, Cheetos, etc., so that's saving money right there. She should also see your improvement and may think this primal way may be something worth exploring. See if you can get a copy of Wheat Belly at the library and ask her to read some of it, especially at the beginning on how the wheat we have today is nothing like it used to be. It will open her eyes.

Keep up the good work. You need to eat more but you know your body and your appetite. Just don't get too empty or you'll reach for something not so good. You're doing great, be proud.. This time last month you didn't think you could do this and you have.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyCr View Post
    Just get a notebook that you're not using and list bkfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, liquids, supplements/vitamins and exercise. Under each heading, list your favorite primal foods and make a meal plan on another sheet for a few days or even long as a week, then you can make a grocery list from that. Run it by your mom, if she says no to certain foods, make substitutions you can live with. Make a note under liquids of how much water you drink, a vitamin everyday, and what exercise you do.

Have you started exercising even a little everyday? You can find fitness shows on tv, do yoga you mentioned, deep breathing sooo good for you, walk when u can. If you ever start and stick with it, you'll be in such a good mood and won't go a day without doing a little something to force new oxygen to your brain.

Avocados are a dollar each at Kroger. They are full of fiber and good fat, (you know to subtract fiber from carbs to get net carbs) they keep in the fridge great. Peel one, eat half with a little hot sauce on top of scrambled eggs or tuna, put seran wrap on the exposed area of the other half and save for later. They fill u up like nothing else. Cheese and olives fabulous snack.

By now your mom must have noticed you're not eating the junk, candy, Cheetos, etc., so that's saving money right there. She should also see your improvement and may think this primal way may be something worth exploring. See if you can get a copy of Wheat Belly at the library and ask her to read some of it, especially at the beginning on how the wheat we have today is nothing like it used to be. It will open her eyes.

Keep up the good work. You need to eat more but you know your body and your appetite. Just don't get too empty or you'll reach for something not so good. You're doing great, be proud.. This time last month you didn't think you could do this and you have.
    I know it might sound plain silly that I can't figure this out but it may be just part of transitioning from eating out of a bag/box, to having to do cooking from scratch and do it all myself (instead of partaking from whatever my mom makes.) So I fully admit it's lingering laziness. But I think that's why I need a plan. I'm not good at slapping things together and have it be spectacular at the last minute. When I'm hungry I want to eat and having to think and prepare while hungry isn't fun (especially when you're not confident with cooking skills.) Plus when you're used to eating processed food from the frozen food section that already has sauces and things, you have to figure out how to make homemade meals that are just as exciting. But I will definitely try what you wrote. And I'll try moving more (even if my plantar faciitis kills me.) I'll start doing more batch cooking. Such a time saver.

I nabbed two avocados at Kroger today while away from home. I really need to up my fat intake and having one half at two meals a day hopefully will help. (I tend to be dubious when it comes to fat because I know too much will give me diarrhea. I don't want that!)

I'd love for my parents to come with me on this journey (it'd make things easier) but I'm not feeling encouraged. Despite mom seeing the difference in my skin and knowing that my stomach went down, she's totally like "No thanks." She's downright content with how she eats. Despite now owning two books that explain what to do, they won't even express interest in looking at them. They love their junk food far too much and are just too picky. Mom was recently diagnosed with Graves' disease and even before that always complained about random aches and pains etc. Still does. Dad's borderline diabetic and his middle is getting bigger. They both complain...yet they won't even bother showing interest in cracking open one of my books or going online. But...I sort of don't even want to think about it. If I do I'll worry and that will make my IBS act up. I have to focus on myself as much as I can. I hope the more I improve the more they'll get curious and want to try something.

Thanks so much for your advice. It always keeps me going.
    F|26yr|5'3"

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    You are doing so well and should be very proud of yourself! The first week can be so tough, but you just keep plugging away and already are seeing some great changes. Speaking of changes, I heard many years ago, "You change others by changing yourself" and this is so true. You lead by example in you life and when other see your success, they want it too. Family is a tough one. They have seen you at your worst (and best, but that is usually not the focus) and they usually figure that this is just some new fad or something. No worries, just make yourself healthy. Getting your own space in the kitchen really is brilliant also because I imagine it would be tough to pass by all the junk while trying to hunt out your CO or other healthy stuff.

Cooking in the kitchen just takes time to learn and get better. Just keep doing it. Each day, make some meals at the same time, when you feel you can. Food will be ready when you are hungry and you can try new things without feeling pressured. Make notes for yourself about what worked for you and what failed. Failures are a part of success. I decided many years ago that if I was happy to accept my successes, then I'd better be happy with my failures also since they teach success.
    Last edited by Mud Flinger; 09-02-2012 at 08:01 AM.

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast