Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Warrior Diet..good or bad? page 4

rabbidchicken69 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And note I said healthiest weight not healthiest this time around I'm sticking to a primal version of eating with the daily fasting. If I'm gonna snack it will be plain salad which I love anyways or home made veggies juices and big ol primal meal at night

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xntrik View Post
    I find the whole notion of a large evening meal being ideal completely bizarre, because for me, that's the ideal way to get a terrible night's sleep with the very high likelihood of waking up with a throbbing headache. The ideal for me is to eat the biggest meal midday and to eat very light or not at all in the evening.
    My body tends to tell me "oh GOD, that was a HUGE meal. Yikes! I need LOTS of energy to digest it all!"

And it does. Then I get drowsy, and I sleep like a rock. A ROCK.

When I was eating CW (I discovered fasting in my last year or so of CW), I had horrible sleep. I sometimes wouldn't be able to sleep because I was hungry because my last meal would have been at least four hours before bed, my stomach would be empty, I'd be irritable, and telling myself "you can't eat until morning or you'll put it all on as fat."

All of which I have learned from primal, is bullcrap.

Warrior Diet actually brought me to PB and MDA a few months back, but I really just started poking around on this forum. Before stumbling upon Mark's wisdom I found that I was basically applying a primal approach to the Warrior Diet. Personally, the WD meal timing, types and sizing just make a whole lot of sense to me. I really do take the fasting period seriously, mine is about 8p overnight to 12p (maybe tea at night, lots of water+lemon juice first thing, bulletproof coffee mid-morning to kind of begin breaking the fast with that fat/MCT). The WD detox element to fasting is something I very much believe in, and multiple daily protein/fat feedings in PB just does not 'primally' compute in my my grok imaginary universe--I could see Grok enjoying a big kill for a day, or two where he gets many servings of flesh repeatedly, but I just cant see up to 2-3 servings of cooked protein/fat as commonplace given the output required to consistently keep up with those feedings, more of a luxury I suppose. Maybe my Grok leans towards gatherer more---. Anyhow, between 12p and 3p I only consume raw, green things...only occasional exception is cooked egg. During the big feeding phase until early night I really do have to be methodical and timely about following Ori's advice on layering in enough food over that time (honestly, have no idea how I'd do that part, which is basically the whole program, if I didnt work from home). He's also dead on about making sure sweet, salty, sour, crunchy, mushy, spicy etc etc need to be incorporated into the big meal to be truly satiated.

Quote Originally Posted by returnfreerisk View Post
    Warrior Diet actually brought me to PB and MDA a few months back, but I really just started poking around on this forum. Before stumbling upon Mark's wisdom I found that I was basically applying a primal approach to the Warrior Diet. Personally, the WD meal timing, types and sizing just make a whole lot of sense to me. I really do take the fasting period seriously, mine is about 8p overnight to 12p (maybe tea at night, lots of water+lemon juice first thing, bulletproof coffee mid-morning to kind of begin breaking the fast with that fat/MCT). The WD detox element to fasting is something I very much believe in, and multiple daily protein/fat feedings in PB just does not 'primally' compute in my my grok imaginary universe--I could see Grok enjoying a big kill for a day, or two where he gets many servings of flesh repeatedly, but I just cant see up to 2-3 servings of cooked protein/fat as commonplace given the output required to consistently keep up with those feedings, more of a luxury I suppose. Maybe my Grok leans towards gatherer more---. Anyhow, between 12p and 3p I only consume raw, green things...only occasional exception is cooked egg. During the big feeding phase until early night I really do have to be methodical and timely about following Ori's advice on layering in enough food over that time (honestly, have no idea how I'd do that part, which is basically the whole program, if I didnt work from home). He's also dead on about making sure sweet, salty, sour, crunchy, mushy, spicy etc etc need to be incorporated into the big meal to be truly satiated.
    I did like his bit on including all of the different tastes in a meal so that you don't crave the missing flavors later in another meal.

I mean, I'm sure there's very little science to back this up, but from my perspective, it just makes sense that if we incorporate all the flavors, we won't later say, "oh gee, I wish I had something salty to eat, let me go get some pretzels," or "now I want cookies because I am having that sweet craving." You won't have them because you satisfied them during your meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I did like his bit on including all of the different tastes in a meal so that you don't crave the missing flavors later in another meal.

I mean, I'm sure there's very little science to back this up, but from my perspective, it just makes sense that if we incorporate all the flavors, we won't later say, "oh gee, I wish I had something salty to eat, let me go get some pretzels," or "now I want cookies because I am having that sweet craving." You won't have them because you satisfied them during your meal.
    Oh yeah, clearly the best license Ori gives to indulge a little, and satisfy some primal sensations is when he compares the occasional pizza to that of a warm,fresh kill...I believe he likened the crusty edge to bone, sauce to blood, meat topping to flesh...you get the picture. What a glorious justification...and I've cashed that chip in a couple, few times for a cheat. However, if I go anything beyond a few pieces now (we do the smaller squares here in Chicago, not NY style) I pretty much wake up in the middle of the night with stomach pain. I was never one who had an issue with grains pre-low carb, but now that I've cut them out they push back big time.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Dug this one up....
    I switched to warrior style eating because I found that I always tend to have my biggest meals at night, which is post-workout for me.
    So I figured....instead of stressing over the amount of food I'm eating at night, why not make it a lifestyle, and have one really big meal at night when I seem to want it the most?
    I sleep much better, have more energy during the day, especially late afternoon, don't crave sugar anymore, and combine my desired macros into one big satisfying meal.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by counterpuncher View Post
    Dug this one up....
    I switched to warrior style eating because I found that I always tend to have my biggest meals at night, which is post-workout for me.
    So I figured....instead of stressing over the amount of food I'm eating at night, why not make it a lifestyle, and have one really big meal at night when I seem to want it the most?
    I sleep much better, have more energy during the day, especially late afternoon, don't crave sugar anymore, and combine my desired macros into one big satisfying meal.
    Sounds like you found what works for you. I triedthe warrior diet for awhile but Ori's guidelines were a little too stressful for me. If you like the one meal a day thing i think you would really like this blog Blog by CHIEFROK he is very similar to a warrior diet but with less dietary restrictions and a lot more about stress, life and other things then just diet.

Quote Originally Posted by returnfreerisk View Post
    Oh yeah, clearly the best license Ori gives to indulge a little, and satisfy some primal sensations is when he compares the occasional pizza to that of a warm,fresh kill...I believe he likened the crusty edge to bone, sauce to blood, meat topping to flesh...you get the picture. What a glorious justification...and I've cashed that chip in a couple, few times for a cheat. However, if I go anything beyond a few pieces now (we do the smaller squares here in Chicago, not NY style) I pretty much wake up in the middle of the night with stomach pain. I was never one who had an issue with grains pre-low carb, but now that I've cut them out they push back big time.
    Heh. Well, Ori is not primal or paleo and probably never will be. He advocates mostly high fat/low carb because it makes following the "Warrior Diet" so much EASIER. But aside from that, I've never known him to say anything about grains, legumes, O6 fats, ect, ect, all of which would likely be much more of an issue to a paleo/primal eater than they seem to be for him.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I didn't even consider including non-primal foods into my one meal.
    They mess me up, no matter when they are eaten.
    He does state that your body will tell you if you need carbs, protein, and/or fats, and I find that to be true.
    Some nights my meals consist of more protein and fats, and some nights are more carb heavy. (Primal carbs).
    I go with what I want, and I don't sweat the macros. It seems to work well for me with whatever ratio I choose to go with.
    The main feature of this diet that I like the most is being fully satisfied after the meal instead of stopping when I'm still hungry.

Nika90 is offline Junior Member
    I am on a Warrior diet. I eat once a day since I was 17. I feel great.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast