Thread: Does it count as an IF? page

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member

Does it count as an IF?

If you have a couple of coffees with cream? Plus a spoonful of coconut oil?
    I have not eaten since dinner last night (dinner will be in about 4 hours or so), and may not eat as I am feeling pretty OK. The coffees and coconut oil have kept me going.
    I guess a true IF includes not even coffee?

I am actually feeling really good, and I did a hard WOD this morning too.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    If you have a couple of coffees with cream? Plus a spoonful of coconut oil?
    I have not eaten since dinner last night (dinner will be in about 4 hours or so), and may not eat as I am feeling pretty OK. The coffees and coconut oil have kept me going.
    I guess a true IF includes not even coffee?

I am actually feeling really good, and I did a hard WOD this morning too.
    Smarter people may chime in, but Mat LaLonde once mentioned on a Paleo Solution podcast that a low-protein meal still allows autophagy to happen; i.e., it's protein that specifically inhibits letting our bodies go into "maintenance mode" (one of the main reasons to IF) (aside from reducing caloric intake).

Specifically, it's LaLonde in episode 68, and this is what he said:

"And then I will occasionally have a low protein dinner just to make sure that autophagy kicks in."

Sorry for the loosey-goosey answer. I would say it's not a "true" IF if you're eating more than straight coffee, but you also sound like you're low protein, so there's some usefulness in that.

Hopefully someone will have a better answer than this one.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    According to Martin Berkhan of Leangains, one authority on IF:

http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
    "No calories are to be ingested during the fasted phase, though coffee, calorie free sweeteners, diet soda and sugar free gum are ok (even though they might contain trace amount of calories). A tiny splash of milk in your coffee won’t affect anything either (-1 teaspoon of milk per cup at the most - use sparingly and sensibly if you drink a lot of coffee). Neither will sugar free gum in moderation (~20 g)."

Note that the Leangains protocol isn't primal, so the calorie-free sweeteners, diet soda & sugar-free gum aren't recommended.

yeah I avoid all those things anyway
    Its all good, I think I managed OK just with what I had. I just broke the 24 hours with dinner, and it was delicious, and I didn't even feel like I needed to stuff myself either.
    When eating CW way, I was starving every 2-3 hours, and just had to eat, crazy how things have changed

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I do 24- hour fasts, where I only have 2-3 teaspoons of CO. That's pretty much how my tummy got radically flatter a couple of weeks ago, so it seems to work. I try to do it 1-2 weekly, but only when I feel like it- I can't be bothered battling my own hunger if I do feel hungry.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks for that info
    Id love for my tummy to go down.
    I am just so happy I didn't get so ravenous at dinner that I over stuffed myself, that is a huge thing for me