Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Sherissima page

Sherissima is offline Member

Primal Journal - Sherissima

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hi everyone!

I have been following the Primal Blueprint quite strictly for 2 weeks now. Today, I did the weighing and measuring thing, and I have shed 6 kg, my BMI is down from 34 to 32, and my waist has reduced 2" (my hips have gone down by 3", but I have a pronounced apple shape due to PCOS and insulin resistance). I think it's working!

A few words about me: I'm a 39 year old woman living in London, UK. I'm tall (5'10") and have found it easy to put on muscle when weight training in the past (which has happened twice in my life, both times lasting only a few months). As I already mentioned, I have PCOS and am taking metformin - a good thing, as type 2 diabetes runs in my family (older sister, mother, grandmother). However, I'm hoping that through eating healthily, in the Primal way, I will improve my body composition and normalise my hormones. I also need to reduce my BMI under 30 so I can be referred to a Fertility clinic for IVF, but I hope to continue until my BMI is in the normal range (under 25).

I've tried low carb diets in the past (Atkins, 10 yrs ago, and Schwartzbein, more recently), and they worked well for me. Until I relaxed too much with 'treats' and started eating both high carb and high fat! Madness! That's why I'm taking Primal seriously, and have cut out all processed foods, grains and dairy. Well, I'm doing a dairy challenge - after 1 month I'll re-introduce some cheese, cream and butter into my diet and see how it goes. If I don't get diarrhoea and/or cravings, then I'll continue with it. But only organic, and possibly goat or sheep - after all, I don't want to grow into a cow!

OK, this is getting long already! So, what do I eat? Mostly eggs and veg for brekkie (fried in coconut oil or poached in the microwave), meat or fish with salad for lunch and the same for dinner, but with cooked veggies (steamed, roasted or stir-fried). If I need a 'dessert' or a snack, I have some raw nuts, frozen berries or coconut milk (or a combination).

I don't know if it's the ketosis (probably, as my appetite has gone way down) but I was getting slightly bored with that simple menu. So yesterday I made some omelette cupcakes with l/o roast chicken, mushroom and rocket that I had for breakfast today (and will have for 2 more days). Also, a delicious chicken liver pate with orange and brandy, using goose fat and ghee instead of butter. Divine for lunch with a big salad sprinkled with some pine nuts!

Well, that's it for my first journal entry. Please feel free to comment! )

Yesterday was my first bout of (beginners) IF!

In the past, I was quite taken by the semi-CW of eating little and often, 3 meals +2 snacks in between. I'm also one of those people who can and wants to eat first thing in the morning...

Well, yesterday was Saturday, and at 10 am (usually we snooze until 12ish) I jumped out of bed, full of energy, and dragged my SO to the local farmers' market. I got some cheap avocados (7 for £1), huge red peppers, enough Jerusalem chokes for a nice roast or 2, some flat mushrooms, and - most importantly - some farm bacon and gluten-free sausages! )

We got home and had a magnificent brunch - bacon, mushrooms, eggs (all in lovely bacon grease and ghee), fresh radishes and coffee (and a few supermarket pancakes with maple syrup for my SO who's not fully Primal, though very supportive of my efforts). That was around 1pm, meaning that my fast lasted about 17 hours. Nothing spectacular, it would seem, but very new and exciting for me!

In the evening, I stuffed some rolled up lamb breast with rosemary, garlic and pine nuts and slow roasted it in a low oven. 15 mins before taking them out, I added a tin of flageolet beans in the roasting tin (mostly for my SO, who loves them, but I also had a little) and served it all with a salsa salad of cucumber, tomato, red onion, pepper, avocado and black olives, dressed with EV olive oil and the brine from the olive jar.

Fitday calculated it all as 1600 Kcal

Fat 67%

Carbs 8%

Protein 25%

No alcohol, though you could add a glass of wine to the roasting tin, but we didn't have an opened bottle.

Looking back, I'm slightly concerned that I didn't eat enough calories. After all, I'm 5'10", though I would like to get rid of around 20kg more of excess fat weight. On the other hand, I was satisfied with my meals and didn't feel hungry in between... I suppose one should listen to ones' body? Forgive me for being unsure of that, after all it was listening to my carb-addicted body that made me reach 35 BMI!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Hey nice to see another Brit on board!

I've shamelessly copied down your paté recipe, it sounds gorgeous... not so keen on the jerusalem artichokes though! Ahem.

I've found the key is to listen to my body - I did track my food on fitday for a while, and while it was useful to get a rough idea of what was going on, it also led to the mindset of "ooo I've got 50g carbs left to eat, pass those almonds...and pistachios....and raisins...."

Well done on the 6kg! You'll be ready for IVF in no time

Thanks, NM! Hope you like the pate, it's really easy to make and tastes yummy

Regarding listening to my body, I'm still recording every day's food on Fitday. At first, I was worried that I would indulge so much in fatty meat that I'd end up ingesting 4-5000 Kcal per day! No, it didn't actually happen. On the contrary, after the first week I was so deeply in ketosis that I'd lost my appetite, and seeing 1200 Kcal in the evening made me have some pecans and a cup of coconut milk. I don't want to put my body into starvation mode!

By now, though, I have a reasonable idea what is a normal portion size for me, so Fitday is not necessary any more.

Yesterday's meals:

BREAKFAST:

2 lamb sausages

1 sliced pepper fried in coconut oil

mug of white tea

LUNCH:

4 organic chicken wings, grilled with tandoori spices (meat was terribly tough and not at all fatty; won't try those again)

salsa made with cucumber, pepper, avocado and black olives

COFFEE

DINNER:

Slow cooked organic pork shoulder roast (YUM! I'll be investing in that one for sure!)

Jerusalem artichokes, parboiled then roasted in pork fat )

12-15 frozen cherries + the same quantity of mixed almonds and pecans

The organic meats are from my Well Hung Meat online order. So far, lamb shoulder chops, mutton rolled breast, beef mince (SO different from supermarket mince!) and the pork were very successful. The chicken I wouldn't recommend, unless for soup - and it's a bit too expensive for just that purpose.

Today, I wasn't in the mood to eat until almost noon - albeit, I went back to bed after my SO left for work and I slept another couple of hours. Now, I had a brunch consisting of l/o pork and a green salad and am feeling very, very full! Haven't yet decided what I'm making for dinner, but it will have to be something not terribly fatty...

I was a bit down this morning, when the scale showed exactly the same number as 8 days ago. That's after 6kg lost in the first 2 weeks! I expected that the downward trend would continue, even if not that strongly. On the other hand, looking at the last 3 weeks altogether, not a bad job! I suppose the body needs a bit of time to re-adjust to lower fat levels.

It can't be anything else, can it? I'm eating less than 50g carbs per day, most of those from veggies (I also have a little fruit and a few nuts, but not every day), and my calorie intake is fairly low (1500-1600 on average). Fat is 60-70% of my diet, protein 20-30%. That should be OK, or..?

Yesterday's food:

2 slices bacon

2 eggs in bacon fat and coconut oil

handful of watercress

white tea

6 small chicken wings, grilled

green beans and cherry tom salad

1.5 Tbs HM hazelnut butter (crunchy)

3 gluten-free sausages

1 onion, caramelised in ghee

grilled mushrooms

cos lettuce with vinaigrette

This came to 1668 Kcal

Fat 70%

Protein 24%

Carbs 6%

After a bit of a moan in another thread, the fat loss continues, slowly but surely.

The tips I've picked up from the other thread:

1. Get more (intensive) exercise

2. Reduce my salt intake

If it gets really bad (ie. putting back on a considerable amount of weight) then:

3. Cut out nuts

4. Reduce carbs to Atkins induction level

Hopefully it won't happen!

Many people suggested I stop looking at the scale number, but I'm afraid I can't do that yet. I need to get under 30 BMI (ie. lose 7 kg) for medical purposes (referral to IVF). Though, looking at my tall body, broad shoulders and strong legs I don't seem to be that far away... But the scale (and my wobbly belly fat) doesn't agree.

Anyway, at this stage, if things are still going well, I plan to end my 1 month no-dairy challenge on Valentine's day. I'll probably try some cream in my coffee and a piece of runny cheese after dinner, and see what happens! If I don't suffer any reactions, then I will re-introduce dairy into my diet (still in limited quantities - very calorific, at least the things I like!).

Primal eating - pros:

1. I feel more energetic

2. I enjoy the food I eat

3. I eat to satisfaction and don't feel hungry or think about food all the time

Cons:

Weight loss problems. After a sudden drop (6 kg - 13 lb) in two weeks, I have been losing and gaining the same pound (half a kilo) for three weeks now. What gives?

In the past, I have lost more weight, rather more smoothly, by eating less fat and more (healthy) carbs. Some people have suggested that I'm eating too much protein (120g per day) - but that's just (!) 2-3 eggs and bacon for breakfast, 2 chicken thighs for lunch and a steak for dinner. I thought that was normal, especially for someone like me, 5'10" and still having around 20 kg (45 lb) to lose...

I read a couple of journals where people started losing weight on a different low carb diet, then switched to Primal. Is it possible that Primal really works best for maintenance?

I just realised I've been posting bits about my progress on other threads here, but haven't updated my journal, so here goes.

The weight loss has resumed, and I think I understand a bit better what makes my body tick. Everyone here has been very helpful, but the problem with this site is that Primal is much more than a weight loss plan. On the contrary, people like me seem to be in a minority compared to ripped athletes who want to reduce their BF to 6% And I want to be one of them one day... )

Anyway, Primal is great, but each of us has to tweak it in some way to make it just perfect. For me, it seems that my body can tolerate dairy but not grains (they give me unbearable, unbeatable cravings) and, at this stage, I need to control not specifically calories (as I'm not overeating due to being satisfied with the food) but PROTEIN.

Yes, protein is necessary, and athletes and fitness buffs of the world need loads of it. Me - not as much. I found some old Protein Power (Dr Eades) texts and calculated that my daily protein intake should be around 85g. Now, that's proportionally quite a bit less than 120-130 I was eating! And I remembered gluconeogenesis - the body can convert excess protein into glucose, which rather defeats the point.

Again, this is not something that many people will need to bear in mind, but it seems that I have to. After all, my poor body has been ravaged by PCOS, insulin resistance and obesity for almost 20 years (though I did lose weight several times on LC diets). I'm hoping that the Primal way of being will repair my health and that one day I will be as carefree about (healthy) eating as many on this board.

Just to say I'm still here )

In total, I've lost almost 10kg (over 20 lb), and I feel and look much better than only 2 months ago.

I got a new job, within walking distance, so I get to walk at least 20 mins per day (or twice that, if I don't wait for the bus back home).

I still haven't done any weight training, and HIIT is quite beyond me. Planning to ease into Tabata with 4 x 10 sec intervals... one of these days. I checked out a local gym, and decided to save the £55 monthly fees for something else, fitness related, that I might actually do. Like a frisbee, or a bike (haven't had one since the age of 11). The problem is, I already have a cupboard full of unused fitness equipment, such as inline skates, skipping rope, Swiss ball (not blown up), dumbbells... How can I get motivated to exercise?

Funny thing happened last night. After a few days of quite low calories (I think I was too excited about my new job to eat), I ate over 2200 Kcal yesterday. Mostly fat, though, a whole tin of coconut milk in my HM Thai curry, and some raw nuts with salted butter as a late night snack! I don't know what came over me, but I really felt hungry for fat...

This morning, though, I didn't feel like eating at all, and had a kind of short IF as my first meal of the day took place around 3 pm. I suppose it all balances out, now that my body responds to its optimal diet, not a sugar-insulin vicious circle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast