Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal Journal - Sherissima page 2

Sherissima is offline Member

Primal Fuel

Again, still here, life is Primal!

For the last week or so, I have stopped entering my food into Fitday. I think I now have the hang of it! And I&#39;m still pleased with my progress, it&#39;s not all scale numbers (haven&#39;t reached my health goal, BMI<30) but my shape that&#39;s changing. My belly, which looked 11 months pregnant, has definitely shrunk, meaning that I&#39;m getting rid of that visceral fat which is so dangerous for the body.

I&#39;m eating dairy at present, though only cheese and butter seem not to give me GI problems. When I use cream (I love it in sauces, actually, for me it is a sauce!), the next day I&#39;m in pain, or maybe even feverish.

Nothing else to report, except I&#39;m IF-ing this morning, due to the above mentioned issue with cream I had last night!

Again, still here and enjoying it!

Since I started the PB, on the 14th of January, I have lost 12.5 kg or 27.5 lb. Which is nice! (Said in the Fast Show voice). I am about a pound away from reaching my first goal, getting my BMI to under 30. I'm seeing my GP on Monday to prove to her that I lost weight, so she can re-refer me to the Fertility Clinic. The first time I was there, beginning of January, my history was taken by a junior doctor, and the consultant then refused to see me as my BMI was 34. That was extremely frustrating, to say the least! I reacted to it by overeating comforting carbs, as I always used to do. Then, a few days later, I woke up and said "Right, I will be healthy!", and started following the Primal Blueprint. I had been reading MDA for a while already, but I just couldn't get motivated to start. I suppose that arrogant consultant did me a favour!

Anyway, as I have mentioned elsewhere, my body has started to shrink in the places which, in the past, used to be the last to go: my double (triple!) chin and huge belly. There's still a way to go, but it's all going the right way! Also, I'm enjoying the food immensely, I love feeling energetic and knowing I'm rebuilding my body and health. Primal is so easy to follow, I don't feel deprived at all, on the contrary I often admire the taste and nutrition I'm getting from my food. For Easter, I made veggies and dessert for the whole family (we celebrate together with my sister and her adult children/partners) and everyone loved them. The dessert was a version of Jamie Oliver's Chocolate Pots, with different textures (choco cream, mousse and whipped cream) and absolutely no added sugar. OK, there was some booze in it (Grand Marnier), but it was a Primal dessert that I enjoyed, that satisfied me and didn't give me any cravings. Result!

I should also mention that I've stopped recording my food intake on Fitday, as by now I have a good idea of what I'm putting into my body. I have also noticed that my appetite is self-regulating, in that if I eat a lot one day, I will naturally eat less the next day. Conversely, if I feel hungry, the best way to assuage my hunger is to eat fat. So, a couple of slices of bacon, half a cup of cream or coconut milk, or even a slice of butter. Yum!

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Yay! Sounds like you are doing awesome! So you want to have a baby soon? That's such good motivation to get healthy!
    Awesome weight loss.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Well done, you're doing fantastically well!
    Good luck for the referral, I hope they don't keep you wainting too long

Thanks so much, Zoe and NMG!

Today being May Day, I'm setting out a couple of goals for the month.

1. Reduce dairy - no cream, butter only for cooking (not melting in the microwave and licking!) and only goat/sheep cheese, not every day

2. IF once a week, at least to lunch

3. Start a Spartan 300 challenge (50 each of hip rotations, squats, pullups, pushups, crunches and something else that I'll have to google!). I intend to begin with 10 of each, once I found out exactly what to do (can you do pullups without a bar?)... Maybe do them every other day, or 3 times per week. My goal is to actually be able to do all 300 by the end of the month.

I want to raise my fitness level, which is pathetic at present (OK, I walk 30 mins every day, big deal). And I also want to lose more weight - this past month I've been dancing around the 30 BMI - a pound under, a pound over - and I want to be clearly under for my Fertility clinic appt. Which still hasn't been set, not a surprise knowing the NHS. BTW, my GP was quite impressed with my weight loss and said it was very noticeable!

The reason I'm cutting down on dairy again is twofold. Firstly, butter is very tasty, but it doesn't fill me up. Or, even if it does, I'm suppressing my body's signals just because I like that taste in my mouth - and that's not healthy. Also, having had 2 cappuccinos per day for 3 days in a row (because of having to work in a place where there was no kettle and no herbal teas on sale) made me all bloated and gave me a painful tummy. So, if milk is not good for me, how can cream be so? And I do like it, occasionally. Well, I can have it again after May, if I wish.

Wow, it's been a long time since I posted! I do still browse the forum, but can't log in at work - and, more importantly, I didn't have much progress to report...

Well, I suppose I have been maintaining my weight for a few months. Which is not such a bad thing - at least I haven't put any back on!

I am still keeping fairly Primal, though the unusually hot summer has made me crave ice cream. I have been giving into that craving quite a lot, and I know it is the call of sugar. I sometimes have frozen berries topped with double cream, which freezes on them and the texture is very refreshing - much more Primal than bought Ben & Jerry's!

I would like to lose some more weight, and reduce my belly which is still the biggest part of me. I lost weight all over, and the belly is still proportionally very big, though a good few inches tighter than when I started. I suppose I could do some abdominal exercises, really...

No news about the fertility referral, or rather nothing yet. In the meantime they sent my case to a wrong hospital, where they closed my case and "discharged" me without ever seeing or even contacting me. The mind boggles!

Oh, and, I actually bought the PB book. This website is so brilliant, I feel I already know everything about the PB, and the forum fills in the gaps, but I needed to say thanks to Mark Sisson for doing so much and being such an inspiration. So, thanks Mark, and I bought your book!

I'm not much of a journaller, clearly! However, I am a PB-er (Primal Blueprinter, not Peanut Butter) who has lost 16 kg (35 lbs) since I started in January. Now, most of that weight loss happened in the first 4 months, but in the next four I mostly maintained, with an occasional drop of a kilo at a time.

Interestingly enough, I have recently had several people commenting on my weight loss since the beginning of the summer. When I had actually only lost 2 kg in that period! However, my body has clearly reshaped a bit better, maybe thanks to a beach holiday which included daily swimming in the sea. The new shape is noticeable in my clothes too (I had to invest in a couple of new skirts and a pair of jeans. OK, I'll admit it, I bought another pair next size down - still too tight to wear, but an incentive...)

So, what have I been eating? (This sounds a bit like the Fast Show.) Well, in addition to the regular eggs and meat, I have slightly increased my fish consumption. If only by eating tuna, mackerel and sardines canned in olive oil... I have also been eating cheese (unpasteurised) and yogurt on a fairly regular basis - and even, occasionally, ice cream (again, good quality like H-D or home made, and yes - it is a cheat).

I have slightly reduced the *added* fat in my diet, as I calculated some of my daily calorific intake to be over 3000 (butter was the culprit). As my metabolic rate is only around 2500-2800, that kind of eating would actually make me gain weight, and that is not desirable at this point! I have also slightly reduced (well, allowed myself not to feel guilty for not eating) insoluble fibre. Less nuts, less fibrous greens. That is due to certain problems on the, ahem, elimination side! I have been reading gutsense.org, thanks to whoever it was that posted that link on this board.

My current supplements: prenatal multi, fish oil, Vit D, kelp (for iodine) and probiotic capsules. Oh, and magnesium oil spray! I still want to take some extra iron and zinc, and am looking into L-glutamine (for GI issues) and alpha-lipoic acid (energy and antioxidant). Ideally, I would like to lose another 10-15 kg. I don't know exactly, as I haven't been in that range in the last 20 years! What is much more important to me is health, body composition and looks... Well, I did admit to a vanity goal!

That's about it for now. Oh, about IVF; they transferred me to a different hospital where we have to go through most of the tests again (because it's been almost a year since we had them - well, yeah, thanks to the hospital's incompentence!) We now have a serious (decision-making) appointment on 22 November. Fingers crossed!

OK, I'm back!

Almost a year since my last journal post, almost back to square one with my weight . I had fallen off the Primal wagon with a vengeance from November till July, and was only able to restart the programme due to imminent IVF. It's starting after my next cycle, and I'm so excited!

So, the last month I've mostly been eating Primal food. Actually, I got back to it through Tim Ferris and his 4 Hour Body (the "slow carb" diet, which includes an "indulgence day" per week). I found out that it works better if I only have one indulgence *meal* per week, and even then, I need to stay away from grains (otherwise my digestion suffers for days, and the weight doesn't really come off).

Another thing that's helping me is following the gist of Dr Kruse's leptin prescription. I'm eating a high protein breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up (it's 20-30g rather than 50g, but it's something to aim for). I only eat 3 meals a day, no snacks. Also, I'm keeping it really low carb (just veggies on a daily basis; a portion of fruit, if that, only on the indulgence day; only very occasional small number of nuts as part of a meal).

We've also bought a couple of kettlebells, and I'm using them 1-2 a week for swings - as recommended by 4HB again, and roughly compatible with Body By Science.

So, in the last month or so, I have lost just over 5 kilos of fat - and I hope to continue in the same direction!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12