Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too many questions!!! Help?? page

Bandpwr94 is offline Junior Member

too many questions!!! Help??

Shop Now
    I'm a high school senior, age 17 male. I want to be primal, but it can be a little expensive. My mom doesn't want to be primal and she doesn't want me to workout. She very restrictive. Also when she lets me go to the gym, she has to come with me and sits by me. It gets annoying. I have a hard time finding motivation. I have some questions...
    How much protein should I eat for my age?
    Where can i get red palm oil online cheaply?
    How much water should I intake each day?
    Know any good recipes for liver?
    How can I lose excess body fat?
    How much water should I drink a day and what kind?
    How can I gain lean body mass?
    What type of cardio should I do and how many sessionsa week?
    What is a typical day like for a teen( when to eat, bedtime,how much to eat, what to eat?)
    I'm obese. I want to make a change because I don't want the of the problems associated with being overweight. Any other Motivation or advice you guys could give me would be great. Thanks.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Why doesn't your mom want you to workout? Is she afraid you'll hurt yourself? I would focus on weights, not cardio, and throw in a few sprints when you feel like it. You shouldn't be worried about counting grams/calories/etc....just focus on eating healthy, whole foods and your body will tell you what it needs. You can get red palm oil from Tropical Traditions, but I think Coconut oil is better. You should drink your bodyweight divided by two in ounces of pure filtered water, but no more than 100 ounces. A good liver recipe-sauteed in bacon fat with onions. It's good to ask questions, but don't let the details get in the way. You're overthinking this and that will stress you out. Stress is no good for getting healthy!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

dado Guest
    first, you have to calm down.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I've heard that protein sort of self regulates. In other words, people tend to take in what they need and not eat too much. Although I believe I've always taken in too little throughout my whole life. Anyway, there is a formula.
    Your weight in kg X 1.6 g/kg/day = how many gm protein per day
    or
    Your weight in lbs X 0.73 gm/lb/day = how many gm protein per day

It's a ball-park figure to start with. I've also seen .8 used instead of 1.6, so it really is a ball-park figure.

Why do you need that?

Seriously just drink when you are thirsty and after you sweat. Trust your body. A lot of people drink way too much and get hyponatremia and a lot of people drink way too little and get dehydration. So learn the symptoms of both and drink more or less accordingly.

I will use liver to "cut" chorizo sausage. I think chorizo is way too salty and spicy so adding liver tones it down a bit.

You will find it easier to lose weight if you cut the carbs and increase fat. Keep protein where you calculated above.

You can drink tap water if your tap water tastes good. Bottled water is a scam and I can't believe how many people have bought into it. I drink bottled water, though, because our tap water is the worst tasting water on the planet.

If you really are obese, you should walk. That is gentle enough not to hurt you and is pleasurable. You may also like cycling. Just find something you really enjoy. When I was a teen I really liked tennis. Exercise should be fun.

What is a typical day like for a teen( when to eat, bedtime,how much to eat, what to eat?)
    A typical day? This is my observation: It appears that a typical day is to be forced to get out of bed and go to school, probably without time for breakfast. On the way to school, jam yourself into the convenience store across the street along with every other dang teen going to school that day. Buy junk food and soda pop and eat it before the bell rings. Buy junk food at the cafeteria or else go across the street to the pizza place or convenience store again. Raid convenience store on the way home, or raid fridge when you get home or both. Eat as much dinner as you can that tastes good to you. If your mom is trying to make you eat healthy, fight about the vegetables or whatever. Stay up really late doing stupid teen stuff. Sneak out and try to get into a dance club and get drunk on sweet umbrella drinks (if you are a girl) or beer (if you are a boy.) If you are a girl on a diet, try bacardi 151 and diet coke. More bang for the calorie.

Ha ha just kidding. I have no idea what a teen should do. I never had kids.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandpwr94 View Post
    I'm a high school senior, age 17 male. I want to be primal, but it can be a little expensive. My mom doesn't want to be primal and she doesn't want me to workout. She very restrictive. Also when she lets me go to the gym, she has to come with me and sits by me. It gets annoying. I have a hard time finding motivation. I have some questions...
    I'm obese. I want to make a change because I don't want the of the problems associated with being overweight. Any other Motivation or advice you guys could give me would be great. Thanks.
    She's concerned about you, so use that concern to your advantage, but very carefully.
    "I am obese and my habits are killing me. I need to change."
    "Conventional wisdom has not worked for me. I need to do something different."
    "It is only a 21-day (or 30-day) trial. Let me be very strict for one month and see if it helps."

If you are currently obese, then your number one concern is to become healthy. Obesity is killing people every day and you need to refuse to be a part of that. The fat loss and the exercise will help, but at least 80% of your results will be from ditching bad oils and grains and eating meat and vegetables.

Your protein intake is based on your lean body mass, which is how much you weigh minus the fat that you carry. You can do some measurements and use an online bodyfat calculator to get a general idea of your lean body mass.

Don't worry about palm oil if you can't find it. Use butter, or coconut oil, or tallow, or lard.

Water intake should probably be more than you are used to, and enough so that you aren't thirsty. Do not drink anything with calories or sweetness. (Artificial sweeteners are terrible.)

Losing body fat will come after your body has healed and realizes it no longer needs the fat. Eat well.

Don't worry about gaining lean body mass just yet. That comes from lifting heavy things, but it sounds like you would benefit more from doing the basics first.

As far as a typical day- get lots of sleep (8-9 hours per night), no electronics within an hour of bedtime, and eat three meals a day of primal foods. Don't snack. Walk at least three hours a week.

Your cardio should be walking, outside, for at least three hours a week. That's about a half an hour per day, though skipping days if you've done extra isn't a big deal. The more walking you do, the better off you'll be. Really. (Remember that damn Jared? He walked a lot, and lost weight even eating Subway every day.) Sprint once a week or so, if you feel like it.

You don't have to go to the gym at all yet. You don't have to eat red palm oil or liver. You don't have to try to run if you don't really want to. Your mom is concerned that you are doing something crazy, but none of it has to be. Eat healthy, traditional foods such as meat and vegetables cooked in traditional fats. Eliminate grains and sugar from things you put in your mouth. Go for a walk every day. Your mom can accompany you if she wants.

The craziest things about this are getting rid of grains and using traditional fats. Everyone knows all the rest of these things are healthy. This is where you ask for a 30-day trial from your mom and then stick to it so you can show her the benefits in how you feel, if not also perhaps in how you look.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Have you downloaded the primal blueprint fitness plan yet? You don't really need to go to the gym where your mother hovers over you if you don't want to. You can see success by doing squats, pushups, lunges, walking, sprinting occasionally. You could do some upper body exercises with a set of dumbbells in your room.

The key to losing weight on the PB though, is what you eat, not how much you work out. Nothing made with flour: bread, bagels, waffles, cookies, cake, donuts, flour tortillas. Nothing pre-processed that comes out of a box: pizza pops, tv dinners, crap like that. No sweetened beverages. Stick to water, coffee, tea, juices you make yourself (and no, I don't mean mixing a can of frozen juice with water).

Eat meat, eggs, fish, vegetables, a bit of fruit (keep to one or 2 pieces a day), a bit of dairy (greek yogurt, cottage cheese, heavy cream - not gallons of milk). Get your fats by eating bacon or sausage, eggs cooked in butter or coconut oil, put olive oil on your salads, have a few (5-10) almonds as a snack.

I've lost nearly 45 lbs this year eating this way and doing light workouts. You can do this. It's the most significant life-changing thing you can do. Congratulations on finding the Primal Blueprint. Stay strong
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Bandpwr94 is offline Junior Member
    Thank You for all of you advice and support.

marqueemoon is offline Senior Member
    dude seriously you are 17. Your mom follows you to the gym? I'm sorry, but find a nice way to tell her to cut the damn cord already.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marqueemoon View Post
    dude seriously you are 17. Your mom follows you to the gym? I'm sorry, but find a nice way to tell her to cut the damn cord already.
    well, she is the mom, so you have to be gentle. but it is true that you will end up a weakling, physically and emotionally, if you allow this to continue.

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    First thing I thought when reading the original post was Howard on the Big Bang Theory :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast