Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nitrate free bacon/ham and grass fed beef in the UK, help! page

Pimzilla is offline Member

Nitrate free bacon/ham and grass fed beef in the UK, help!

Hi all fellow UKers,

Does anyone know where to find nitrate free bacon and ham? I love bacon but I'm not feeling good about the amount of nitrates I'm filling myself with at the moment eating lots of bacon. I also like ham but bacon is my real addiction here.

Second question, grass fed beef? Never seen anything with that label on. What are your choices?

I appreciate all help with how to find the best protein sources, brands/supermarkets or even online shops.

Thanks!

Communicator is offline Junior Member
    You might like to take a look at Black Bacon

Had the bacon myself. It is very good indeed.

Kace is offline Senior Member
    No helpful answers I'm afraid, but I shall be watching this thread with interest because I've also been wondering about where to get nitrate-free bacon and ham and grass-fed beef in the UK.
    Last edited by Kace; 11-26-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Anuket is offline Junior Member
    I found nitrate free bacon in Wholefoods this week! As for grass-fed beef...check out your local farmers market. They may also do the nitrate free bacon too!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    My usual warning (apologies to those of you who have heard it before a million times) - if you are avoiding nitrates and sodium nitrite because you are sensitive to it, you will have the same reaction to celery seed, celery salt or celery juice. If it has those ingredients or the words "other than that naturally occuring in..." it's going to cause the same problems because it just converts to that when it hits your tongue.

The Black Bacon looked like it didn't have it, but I couldn't be sure without seeing an ingredient list.

Carry on...
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Buy Farm Produce Direct - Top Quality Meat Directly from the Producer - Hand Made Meat - Home
    http://www.rosewoodfarms.co.uk/ (the website doesn't display for me but seems to work for other people)

You could always buy a slab of pork belly and cure it yourself for (streaky) bacon
    Last edited by NorthernMonkeyGirl; 11-26-2011 at 04:08 PM.

John Nugent is offline Junior Member
    I buy grass fed beef from a local butcher. Try butchers in your area. My buthcer sources his beef and pork including bacon from local farms who all run their livestock on grass and no grains. I find Wholefoods too expensive. Also, there are a number of online organic suppliers - just do a Google search. But you need to question any supplier about what their livestock is fed and what is use to make their bacon, sausages etc. Some farms also sell direct to walk in customers. Don't worry - good sources of these foods are out there. Forget supermarkets, they do not fit the paleo/primal template.

sprocket is offline Junior Member
    I get my nitrate free bacon from Laverstoke Park Farm website - Buy Organic Meat Online, Beef, Pork, Lamb, Chicken - Organic Meat & Food - Laverstoke Park Farm - Laverstoke Park Farm
    My grass fed beef comes from the Donald Russell website - Donald Russell - Quality Beef & Meat Online: Scottish Butchers Donald Russell

Devon Rose, Free Range, Organic & Natural Meats since 1921 is another good source of free range and organic meats. They also do gluten free sausages and nitrate free bacon.

These are not cheap options but for the taste they are well worth it.

Pimzilla is offline Member
    Thank you so much everyone!
    I got a few websites to go through now

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how good the lamb meat (read fat) actually is? Most sheep seem to be outside in this country but I got no clue about whether they try fatten them up in the end? I'm totally clueless about how sheep are treated, I just know I see them everywhere :P

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Bog standard sheep will likely be fattened up, but that usually means adding concentrated feed while they're outside. It doesn't pay to do them intensively. I doubt that the lamb from the above suppliers will be intensively fed, probably a few scoops though.

It really does depend though; if they're fat enough off grass then no-one will waste money on unneeded hard feed

Also remember seasonality - buy in autumn for an animal that's born in spring and eaten grass all summer. All those Easter lambs will have to be born around Christmas and kept indoors on hay and/or concentrates......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast