Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Following the Primal Blueprint, Mark's way page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Following the Primal Blueprint, Mark's way

Primal Fuel
    I've been reading Mark's new book and the biggest thing I'm getting from it is how the fun has gone out of this for me. Not really surprising considering all the foods I've been trying to eliminate, and other things I've been experimenting with to improve my health.

The only thing that has worked out is going low starch for my joint pain. I'd really like, apart from sticking with that, to get back to having fun with it, being more relaxed, the way Mark talks about doing it in his books. Not obsessing about whether I am eating more than 3 times a day or having protein every time I eat and generally getting obsessive about regimenting everything.

I know a lot of people here are following programs like the leptin reset, leangains and so on. But there must be people who are also just doing the PB? I'd just love to talk about having fun getting healthy in a primal way. As Mark says, if it's not fun you won't stick to it, and that's certainly been my experience.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

peril is offline Senior Member
    I know you have a lot of problems to overcome. I have my own, but can honestly say that I don't struggle to do PB (with some PHD safe starches). Missing out on the LHT lately due to injury, but otherwise enjoying the food, moving slowly, sleep, play and sunshine. Only hassles at the moment are shoulder injury, for which I need to seek professional help, and too much stress at work. But in the greater scheme of things its not a problem
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    I'm moving in the direction of just enjoying the food and reaping the rewards. Yes, I did do the reset, and it worked well for me, but now I'm sort of free-styling and seeing how my body responds to meals and timing, and I simply go by if I feel well or not. The one thing I consider is that what I eat is primal, but that's the fun part because I'm loving the food. Today's lunch was some liverwurst and a sliced apple with blue vein cheese. I felt nothing but joy after eating that!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I am at my goal weight and just generally enjoying primal eating without doing anything special. Of course, I have no grains, but I've also eliminated dairy and all artificial sweeteners. I thoroughly enjoy my food (fish, meat, eggs, veggies), don't feel the least deprived, and have absolutely no interest in 'cheating.'

I will have a very, very occasional dessert--as I did on Thanksgiving Day. But the rest of the meal was totally primal, as it always is.

I am 70 years old, and have never felt better in my life since eating this way (past 18 months). All my blood values are superb (my HDL was 118 on my last check a week ago), and I take no Rx, except for my thyroid hormones (I have Hashimoto's).

IMO, primal eating is the best health insurance in the world.

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    I've dropped about 20 kg's since going primal in July and I've never bothered with counting, weighing, leptin resets or leangains. I'm what RitaRose refers to as a Zen Grok, I just roll with things, eat when I'm hungry and try to get enough sleep, excercise and play.

I'm slowly but steadily adding muscle mass and I've gone back to wearing clothing sizes that fit me in HS/early university so it's been an incredible ride so far.

Finnabair is offline Senior Member
    Not doing the reset. Not worrying about occasional cups of hot cocoa. Not getting obsessed about any of it. Simply stopped bread, pasta, flour, white stuff.

Don't count calories, fat grams, or anything!

Life is good.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I just do PB and if anything the limited ingredient list makes things easier as far as food goes. You've got to develop some 'damn that's good' dishes as part of your routine. For me lately it's been pork shoulder in the crockpot, or salmon w/ coconut curry sauce. I also don't sweat some indulgences as long as they involve chocolate.

I also don't count or measure anything. It is getting old that I don't have a dishwasher (or a deep freezer) but I hope to remedy that soon in some new digs.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    Zen Grok, I like that lol.

[QUOTE=IvyBlue;635920 salmon w/ coconut curry sauce. [/QUOTE]

Funnily enough that's what's for dinner tonight .
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

dado Guest
    Reminds me of the epic 'soul of primal' thread that appeared on this very forum some months ago.

Sagacious dude, the OP of that thread.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have a much longer list of foods that I do not eat than Mark does. I am no dairy, no nightshades, no nuts, no coffee and no eggs - NO choice because of autoimmune disease. I also do short IF when it feels right to me.

However, other than that I really do just follow the basic Blueprint. No worries about counting calories or carbs, I eat chocolate, drink wine, thoroughly enjoy my 20% guilt free (Mine in more 80, 10, 10. 80% primal, 10% crap I don't know about or can't control, 10% whatever the hell I feel like). More than anything I love the freedom of this way of eating.

I do understand your plight though. It is really hard not to keep tweaking and trying new things when you feel like complete crap every day. I do occasionally try adding something in or eliminating something new to see if I can get the boundless energy so many people have. I'm not there yet. I recently added in d-ribose and think it's helped quite a bit with energy. But I think I'll always be doing some small experiments periodically until I find that perfect health I so want.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast