Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best/Most Accurate Body Fat analyzer?

Hybrid View

Best/Most Accurate Body Fat analyzer?

I am trying to ignore the scale and instead would like to monitor body fat. I know that most devices and scales out there are not completely accurate, however some can be fairly close, so I am looking into getting a hand held electrical impedance body fat monitor to get a guess as to what my body fat is, for tracking purposes.

Any recommendations out here? I'm doing some searching on ebay and others sites.

Thanks!
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

The mirror.

No seriously. Look in the mirror, happy? If not keep working.

Mirror doesn't work! haha I need numbers!! Gives the needed motivation!
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

Quote Originally Posted by RunBikeLift View Post
    Mirror doesn't work! haha I need numbers!! Gives the needed motivation!
    Actually...I recommend this scale.

Amazon.com: EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale w/ 400 lb. Capacity & Auto Recognition Technology: Health & Personal Care

The body fat measurement tool is NOT ACCURATE. It tells me I'm around 9% body fat. I'm really around 12% body fat. However, if you follow a similar lifting and eating schedule like I do, it's very useful as a PRECISION tool. For example, I eat cyclically. I eat low carb on specific days of the week, high carb on specific days of the week and follow a 7-day workout routine (I'm the guy with a notebook at the gym so I can track my progress and make sure my lifts are increasing). If I were to measure my "body fat" on a Saturday, which is a high carb day with lots of heavy lifting, and then on Wednesday, which is a low carb day I take off from the gym, the results would be totally useless because I would bloat from the water weight post-carb-up and it would throw off the numbers radically. However, if I weigh myself at 6pm every single Wednesday, the scale suddenly becomes very useful. I can take data points every Wednesday at 6pm and over 12 weeks would give me a very precise graph of my progress.

If you adhere to a regular eating and exercise schedule like I do and eat "similar" meals, then this is a very inexpensive and useful tool. If you eat sporadically, have no regular exercise schedule and pretty much eat whatever you want casually within the PB, this wouldn't be quite as precise but still very useful. You would just have to plot a lot more data points over many weeks and your graph would have a lot of sporadic ups and downs, but over months it would give you a great idea of progress.

I will say this: the scale itself is AWESOME. VERY ACCURATE. It's just the body fat analyzer that leaves a lot to be desired. If you care to track your results and plot them in Excel or something over months, then this will be useful in terms of precision.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    The mirror.

No seriously. Look in the mirror, happy? If not keep working.
    lmao, i was gonna say "using your hands, grab your fat." xD

I'd say just pick one that doesn't just rely on distance measurements and weight (no BMI conversions, or stomach/neck circumferences here please!), like electro-impedence, and then redo it later. Should show you if you're improving. I remember Mark did an article about BF measurements, and how they don't always work because of the people used to create the formulas, and because there are SO many variables. Try and eliminate as many as you can and just pick one test.

I'd do it this way, record my meals, workouts, heat (sweatiness throughout the day really..) and water consumption for a week, measure, and then a few months later repeat as precisely as you can, and that should give you a good idea.

Oh and if you Look Good Naked :P

Okay suit yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Okay suit yourself.
    That's what my Grandma always says when she's trying to hide her annoyance/anger/frustration. LOL

I have a handheld one and regardless of my weight it says I'm 36% body fat, which I know is not accurate. I've had my body fat % tested various ways and the calipers always seemed more accurate. I use the body measurements method if I want to look at numbers. Over the last few weeks I've decided it's a waste of time to use bf % or the scale as motivation because both are tricky and misleading.

Dexa scan is the most accurate however it may be hard to find a facility that has one available to the general public

Next best option is Bodpod but again you have to find a facility that offers the use of the machine to the public.

I just bought a personal use Bodymetrix device. It's an ultrasound like device. This is the most convenient and accurate for home use. Go to Tim Ferris' website at The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss - Official Site and the most recent blog post by him has a discout coupon code for 25% off of the device.

You can order the device at www.intelametrix.com. The software for the device is downloadable from the website as well.

Correction - The website with the discount code for the Bodymetrix device is: The Blog of Author Tim Ferriss

The discount code is his post dated 11/23/2011. The code is 4HOURBODY