Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best/Most Accurate Body Fat analyzer? page

RunBikeLift is offline Member

Best/Most Accurate Body Fat analyzer?

Shop Now
    I am trying to ignore the scale and instead would like to monitor body fat. I know that most devices and scales out there are not completely accurate, however some can be fairly close, so I am looking into getting a hand held electrical impedance body fat monitor to get a guess as to what my body fat is, for tracking purposes.

Any recommendations out here? I'm doing some searching on ebay and others sites.

Thanks!
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    The mirror.

No seriously. Look in the mirror, happy? If not keep working.

RunBikeLift is offline Member
    Mirror doesn't work! haha I need numbers!! Gives the needed motivation!
    Overweight athlete going PRIMAL

11/4/11
    SW: 228lb
    GW: 160lb by August 2012

11/24/11- 222
    12/30/11- 229
    1/7/12- 225
    1/17/12 (2 weeks into Whole30)- 218
    5/15/12- 218 (Need motivation to eat a clean Primal diet!!)

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Okay suit yourself.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Leangains has a link to pics of people with levels of body fat.
    You can use body part measuring
    electric impulse
    calipers
    All have margins of error with regard to use. Good to track changes but not so good on absolute. DarthFriendly is right the mirror is a good gage....stat to see the six pack then under 15% well defined much lower...

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member
    Body calipers are the cheapest and most reliable way to measure body fat %. Depending on the system you use you can take 4+ measurements from your body, Tricep, Bicep, Waist and Back, total the measurements and refer to the graph that will come with the instruction manual.

Job done. I've got scales, hand held things etc and I always come up as over weight with a % of about 24% on these. On calipers I come up about 16%, which is more accurate (at least that's what I tell myself anyway).

ErinF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Okay suit yourself.
    That's what my Grandma always says when she's trying to hide her annoyance/anger/frustration. LOL

I have a handheld one and regardless of my weight it says I'm 36% body fat, which I know is not accurate. I've had my body fat % tested various ways and the calipers always seemed more accurate. I use the body measurements method if I want to look at numbers. Over the last few weeks I've decided it's a waste of time to use bf % or the scale as motivation because both are tricky and misleading.

JayR is offline Junior Member
    Dexa scan is the most accurate however it may be hard to find a facility that has one available to the general public

Next best option is Bodpod but again you have to find a facility that offers the use of the machine to the public.

I just bought a personal use Bodymetrix device. It's an ultrasound like device. This is the most convenient and accurate for home use. Go to Tim Ferris' website at The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss - Official Site and the most recent blog post by him has a discout coupon code for 25% off of the device.

You can order the device at www.intelametrix.com. The software for the device is downloadable from the website as well.

JayR is offline Junior Member
    Correction - The website with the discount code for the Bodymetrix device is: The Blog of Author Tim Ferriss

The discount code is his post dated 11/23/2011. The code is 4HOURBODY

gunnk is offline Senior Member
    You can take your pick of the at-home devices, but realize that the numbers don't mean anything in absolute terms. You can monitor your progress a bit, but don't expect much accuracy in the numbers. You *can*, however, get reasonably consistent numbers, but only if you are consistently hydrated. I've seen suggestions that to get the most consistent readings you should get up in the morning, drink a big glass of water, and then wait 30 minutes before the measurement.

Like you, I'm a data person. Unfortunately, home units can't give you real numbers with accuracy. Don't believe the readings, just aim for consistent measurement conditions and then use it as a marker of progress. The mirror really is about the most accurate "measurement" of body fat you'll find at home.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast