Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best/Most Accurate Body Fat analyzer? page 2

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Not sure what may be available in your area, but I know here in Houston there are a few "Sports Performance" clinics that have a hydrostatic (i.e. water dunk tank). I haven't gotten it done yet (I'd like to) but it's like $38. That is the absolute most definitive body fat measurement you can get.
    -Chuck

I just found this online while looking around the Houston area.. anyone heard of "Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry"??? Sounds interesting...

Body Composition Testing
    -Chuck

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the poster who mentioned consistency. Pick whatever is easiest for you to use -- some people prefer at-home calipers, other people prefer bioimpedence, or if you're at a gym you can have the same trainer caliper you every month or whatever -- and just set yourself up to measure the same way under the same circumstances every time. Your number might not be perfectly accurate, but it gives you a baseline in order to see progress.

I would loooove to go get a couple Dexa scans, though... there's a place in my city that does it, I think it's ~$70?
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    The mirror.

No seriously. Look in the mirror, happy? If not keep working.
    lmao, i was gonna say "using your hands, grab your fat." xD

somedaypaleo is offline Member
    I'd say just pick one that doesn't just rely on distance measurements and weight (no BMI conversions, or stomach/neck circumferences here please!), like electro-impedence, and then redo it later. Should show you if you're improving. I remember Mark did an article about BF measurements, and how they don't always work because of the people used to create the formulas, and because there are SO many variables. Try and eliminate as many as you can and just pick one test.

I'd do it this way, record my meals, workouts, heat (sweatiness throughout the day really..) and water consumption for a week, measure, and then a few months later repeat as precisely as you can, and that should give you a good idea.

Oh and if you Look Good Naked :P

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RunBikeLift View Post
    Mirror doesn't work! haha I need numbers!! Gives the needed motivation!
    Actually...I recommend this scale.

Amazon.com: EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale w/ 400 lb. Capacity & Auto Recognition Technology: Health & Personal Care

The body fat measurement tool is NOT ACCURATE. It tells me I'm around 9% body fat. I'm really around 12% body fat. However, if you follow a similar lifting and eating schedule like I do, it's very useful as a PRECISION tool. For example, I eat cyclically. I eat low carb on specific days of the week, high carb on specific days of the week and follow a 7-day workout routine (I'm the guy with a notebook at the gym so I can track my progress and make sure my lifts are increasing). If I were to measure my "body fat" on a Saturday, which is a high carb day with lots of heavy lifting, and then on Wednesday, which is a low carb day I take off from the gym, the results would be totally useless because I would bloat from the water weight post-carb-up and it would throw off the numbers radically. However, if I weigh myself at 6pm every single Wednesday, the scale suddenly becomes very useful. I can take data points every Wednesday at 6pm and over 12 weeks would give me a very precise graph of my progress.

If you adhere to a regular eating and exercise schedule like I do and eat "similar" meals, then this is a very inexpensive and useful tool. If you eat sporadically, have no regular exercise schedule and pretty much eat whatever you want casually within the PB, this wouldn't be quite as precise but still very useful. You would just have to plot a lot more data points over many weeks and your graph would have a lot of sporadic ups and downs, but over months it would give you a great idea of progress.

I will say this: the scale itself is AWESOME. VERY ACCURATE. It's just the body fat analyzer that leaves a lot to be desired. If you care to track your results and plot them in Excel or something over months, then this will be useful in terms of precision.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Just read about this method... the "Bod Pod", which uses "air displacement plethysmography". I might give it a try as it's local.
    Putting a percentage on body fat - Houston Chronicle
    -Chuck

So I went over to University of Houston Clear Lake's Bod Pod this morning and got it done. Very quick and easy, and also supposedly very accurate. If you go to the Bod Pod's main site they have a search function which lets you find the ones in your area. Highly recommended!
    -Chuck

MikeFlyMike is offline Junior Member
    I have had two different electrical impedance tools. (one hand held and one scale) neither were cheap.
    Both have huge swings in %. And just measuring at a specific time of the day, post meal, not post meal, whatever doesn't help for me.
    Every two months (or so) I do hydro static testing (dunk) - bodyfattest.com. While not as good as an autopsy, I'm willing to accept their inaccuracy. The electrical impedance one because demotivating because it much more measured my hydration level than anything else (and was wildly different than when I did a dunk on the same day)

bikeirguy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use a Tanita scale. While I agree with what was said above about accuracy (there are swings, it is not as accurate as a dunk tank, a mirror is a better test, etc.) I find that the best way use the scale is to jot all the measures down (some have 6 or more outputs) and then enter them into Excel every once and awhile and graph the results - the visual gives you trends and may point to correlations relative to YOU. Seasonal changes, changes during menstrual cycles, signs of fatigue/overtraining and more can show up on the graph.

To me, this is no different than other bio-markers: my resting HR today is just a number. Give me a month or two worth of resting HRs and I can do some real thinking and use that information in a useful way.

If anyone wants me to send them a blank Excel spreadsheet and a tracking sheet, just PM me (forum doesn't allow for attaching Excel attachments).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast