Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure where to go from here page

al09 is offline Senior Member

Not sure where to go from here

Primal Fuel
    I just need to express that I'm seriously struggling right now. I'm a mess as far as what/how I've been eating. I have great day and I have terrible days. Lately, there have been more terrible day. I feel like I'm losing a battle with bulimia and I don't know what to do. Is this how I'm going to live for the rest of my life? Primal started out so easy. It makes sense. I feel great when I stick to it. But there's this other "thing" that's out to ruin me. This is all so dramatic, I know, but I'm feeling so terrible.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Do you or have you sought some professional help with the bulimia? I would think that this would need to be under control before you can be truly successful with Primal.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

al09 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I'm in therapy and implementing the Diet Cure supplement program. Doesn't seem to be working.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    how long have you been in process? because -- it can take a long time for things to work.

this is not about food. food is just the instrument for you. get deep into the heart of it, and you'll work your way through to recovery. food will help, but what you eat isn't the whole picture.

and yes, you can recover. it's not forever. in this phase, it's just one minute or one hour or one day at a time.

raney is offline Senior Member
    I find that urges to purge come from extremely self depreciating feelings after binging. The desire to binge should fade if you're following a primal diet. I realize the sugar/carb/junk cravings still come at first, but do your best to eat some fat (a spoonful of coconut oil will be your best friend in this case) and breathe and hang on; it does get easier.

L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP supplementation may help to even out the neurochemistry behind cravings, if your therapist doesn't already have you on some sort of reuptake inhibitor. Check with them, if you are taking something.

Just realize that you don't have to indulge the urges. Even in the case that you break down and binge, realize that you are healing JUST BY deciding not to purge. That mess of sugar and carbs and junk is going to make your ass fatter tomorrow, and you need to own up to that. Once you do, you've passed the first step. Beyond that, you need to slowly whittle down your binging, and trust me - it will happen much quicker than you expect, as long as you are following the diet.

It all gets so much easier with time, do your best to slowly lessen the indulgences. Tell yourself that you are going to give every ounce of strength you have to healing this for one month; you'd be amazed where you will be in 30 days.

This is an extremely personal time, recognize the time that you are spending with yourself, the dialogues you are having regarding these conflicts, the cognitive dissonance created by the urges that are not in line with your conscious desires. Now is the time to learn to love and appreciate yourself.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Amino acid therapy for the brain chemistry part and Overeaters Anonymous for the peer support part = an unbeatable combination.

Get yourself a sponsor. You need to be accountable to someone for your food on a daily basis. OA is for anybody who has food issues of any sort who wants to get off the crazy train and stop hurting him/herself with food.

How long have you been doing the Diet Cure protocol? It takes a while to kick in; it's not instantaneous.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Also, al09: I've no idea if this even applies to you, but if you have any sort of trauma in your past, you have got to do some sort of body work to get it released.

Also, are you exercising outside? I can't emphasize this enough.

irenesom is offline Senior Member
    The diet cure (ESP 5htp) has been so helpful for me. Good luck.

dado Guest
    do you squat?

Also, are you going to Kundalini Yoga classes as I recommend in that other thread?

The reason I said this form particularly is because it balances the left hemisphere of the brain with the right, and does so quickly.

How is your journaling coming? I see that you started an online journal here, but I wanted to clarify that I meant writing on paper. There is something about the act of putting pencil to paper (I prefer pencil because I find the rhymthic scratch so soothing and comforting--a meditation in its own right) that is powerful in a way I can't really describe. I believe a study has been done about its emotional impact versus typing on a screen, but I've never investigated it. If I had to pick ONE thing that has surprised me in its effectiveness in dealing with my ED, it would be this.

(ETA: And talk therapy has been the least effective.)
    Last edited by TigerLily; 11-27-2011 at 09:00 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast