Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Total Daily Calories page

ChaiKe is offline Junior Member

Total Daily Calories

Primal Fuel
    I'm sure this question has been asked hundreds of times, but I'm really intrigued about how many calories 'average primal folks' (I know theres no way to define 'average') are consuming!

I don't really count calories, but, as I used to count them almost religiously, the idea stays in my mind and, according to popular wisdom, I'm way too inclined to underconsume!

I'm on two meals a day usually (suits me best), about 400-800 cals each, with lots of veg, some leanish meat/eggs (sometimes a snack of fruit, dark chocolate or nuts in the afternoon/ evening and maybe a cream coffee), but, when I do tally it up, I usually have around 1200 cals a day, I never really go over 1600, never binge like I did a few years ago. I'm 23, male, 70kg, 180cm, fairly active (not too many heavy workouts, I walk, run, play, swim, climb trees, stay active at least a few hours a day).

I suppose my question is: would you recommend upping the calories for the sake of general health? Or is anyone else in a similar situation?

Thanks for having the patience to read such an over-asked question, but I couldn't find any good threads on the matter!

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaiKe View Post
    I usually have around 1200 cals a day, I never really go over 1600, never binge like I did a few years ago. I'm 23, male, 70kg, 180cm, fairly active
    I don't see how someone your size, weight and age can maintain on 1200 kcals - unless, of course, you have successfully managed to wreck your metabolism from low calorie dieting. You're either undereating or underreporting. I hope it's the latter.

alexdc is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
    I don't see how someone your size, weight and age can maintain on 1200 kcals - unless, of course, you have successfully managed to wreck your metabolism from low calorie dieting. You're either undereating or underreporting. I hope it's the latter.
    I would agree. 1200 seems low. I guess it really depends on what you're defining as "fairly active" however. Personally, I'm a tad taller and lighter than you and I find that I have to get about 1400 at minimum to keep up, and I'm keeping my exercise really light at the moment.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. That doesn't sound like nearly enough calories for a 23 yo male!
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Paleobird Guest
    For the metrically challenged Yanks this is a 5'10", 154 lb 23 year old male only eating 1200 calories a day??????

Are you sure you're really counting everything including cooking oils, salad dressings, etc? As, Kharnath said, either undereating or underreporting is going on here.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    I'm a 20 year old male, 180cm, 70kg, who only walks half an hour a day and 3 weight sessions a week (far less than you). I eat about 3000 calories. You should probably be eating at least 2000-2300

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    I was listening to Super Human Radio and they were interviewing Richard Simmons and he stated that he maintains on 1600 calories.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I was listening to Super Human Radio and they were interviewing Richard Simmons and he stated that he maintains on 1600 calories.
    But he's pretty short as I recall.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    But he's pretty short as I recall.
    Yeh he is. I think some people just need to constantly watch calories.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    1200 is very low. I'm 31, female, 5'4, 68 kg, and I'm losing weight on 1600-2000 cals daily.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast