Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Success Stories! page

gac2116 is offline Junior Member

Thanksgiving Success Stories!

Shop Now
    Wanted to start a thread so that people could share how they successfully conquered the beast that is Thanksgiving.

I was cooking the majority of the day with my family so I ended up fasting and not eating breakfast or lunch and so the first thing I ate was my thanksgiving dinner at 5.

To make sure I would have food to eat that was paleo acceptable, I took part in the cooking and made the paleo pumpkin pie, mashed cauliflower, brussel sprouts cooked in bacon fat and sprinkled with bacon bits and of course turkey.

I had one plate of the mashed cauliflower, a lot of turkey, and a ton of the brussel sprouts with bacon. Then for dessert I had a slice of the pumpkin pie I made.

This morning I went and played some pickup basketball.

As a result, I lost THREE POUNDS ON THANKSGIVING!

It was a great success and really motivating. Let's hear all of your thanksgiving success stories!

thursdaychild is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much for sharing this, it was truely insprational.
    All Good Wishes

--
    Bob

StarryEyedSarahJ is offline Junior Member
    My boyfriend and I usually travel home for the holidays (a 16 hour drive, followed by gorging on foods that make us feel like crap, then another 16 hour drive back.) This year we decided to rent a cabin in the woods of Kentucky so that we could hike all day with our dogs in the Red River Gorge instead. We only had a gas grill and a microwave in the cabin, so we had to prepare most of our Thanksgiving feast ahead of time. It is so much simpler to prepare a Thanksgiving day feast using whole foods that don't need a lot of work to taste amazing. We had grain free stuffing (sausage and mushroom based recipe from Everyday Paleo), mashed sweet potatoes, various veggies with butter, homemade cranberry sauce and cinnamon and garlic rubbed lamb chops on the grill. It was fantastic. Even after a full day of hiking, we ate our normal portions and were completely satisfied. After dinner, we explored the mountainside where our cabin was and eventually made a campfire to sit by with the dogs while we talked for hours over some delicious wine and a few squares of dark chocolate. Not a food-coma in sight! The next day, we woke up bright and early, had leftovers for breakfast and then went hiking again before making the 4 hour drive back to our home in Indiana.

We both agreed on the drive home that it was the best Thanksgiving ever.
    Wag more, bark less.

Lapin is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gac2116 View Post
    Wanted to start a thread so that people could share how they successfully conquered the beast that is Thanksgiving.
    Easiest way to stay on course for the holidays: take charge of the menu planning and cooking. Worked like a charm in my household. We had turkey, roast pork, paleo cranberry sauce, mashed sweet potatoes (ok, that was a bit outside the Primal range), asparagus, pumpkin pie (following Vanessa120's recipe here on the forum) and chocolate coconut bark. Everyone loved the food and then marveled that they weren't passing out/going into a food coma at the end. In fact, we were all so energetic we went for a mile walk.

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    I was successful. My Thanksgiving was just a turkey, turnip and carrot substitute of the more common meat and vegetables I normally have.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    We don't do Thanksgiving here in Australia, but great to your success-stories. I plan on sharing my Christmas Day-success once that's done.

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I cooked a simple and more or less traditional turkey dinner: 13lb. bird, mashed potatoes & gravy, yams, Brussels sprouts and eggplant parmesan for our two vegetarian guests. Oh, and dinner rolls. Our friends brought a green bean casserole (the yucky Campbells soup & fried onion deal) and pumpkin pie. I ate lots of turkey, yams, sprouts and some eggplant - no potatoes, gravy, bread or pie. Also pretended to eat some of the bean casserole so as not to hurt any feelings, but mostly just stirred it around on the plate.

Had lots of leftover turkey since only two of us ate any, so I have about a gallon of good broth made from the carcass and meat for several days of BAS.

elizabeth123 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gac2116 View Post

I was cooking the majority of the day with my family so I ended up fasting and not eating breakfast or lunch and so the first thing I ate was my thanksgiving dinner at 5.

To make sure I would have food to eat that was paleo acceptable, I took part in the cooking and made the paleo pumpkin pie, mashed cauliflower, brussel sprouts cooked in bacon fat and sprinkled with bacon bits and of course turkey.

I had one plate of the mashed cauliflower, a lot of turkey, and a ton of the brussel sprouts with bacon. Then for dessert I had a slice of the pumpkin pie I made.

This morning I went and played some pickup basketball.

As a result, I lost THREE POUNDS ON THANKSGIVING!

It was a great success and really motivating. Let's hear all of your thanksgiving success stories!
    THANKS for sharing this informative post.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LJH View Post
    Our friends brought a green bean casserole (the yucky Campbells soup & fried onion deal) and pumpkin pie. I ate lots of turkey, yams, sprouts and some eggplant - no potatoes, gravy, bread or pie. Also pretended to eat some of the bean casserole so as not to hurt any feelings, but mostly just stirred it around on the plate.
    Our favorite way to do green beans is to toss them with bacon and onions/shallots that have been cooked very well. A friend of mine made this for the feast at city hall and not a single bit was left for her!

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    Our favorite way to do green beans is to toss them with bacon and onions/shallots that have been cooked very well. A friend of mine made this for the feast at city hall and not a single bit was left for her!
    Ohhhh, that sounds awesome! Definitely going to do that one next time fresh beans are in season. Bet it would be great with Brussels sprouts too, what do you think?

Damn, I'm sure glad bacon is always in season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast