Thread: the sauerkraut i told you about is ready and it is delicious page

dado Guest

the sauerkraut i told you about is ready and it is delicious

Shop Now
    it is not chopped up, like you would see in the store, but the leaf is whole and i take this leaf, and i eat it, and my body thanks me for it.

i share this joy with you.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Looks like a pickled facehugger egg. Recipe?

dado Guest
    recipe, you put a bunch of cabbage in a big bucket, submerge in water, some salt, you put heavy weight on top to keep it under water. some time later you get the best thing.

AnarchoGrok is offline Senior Member
    I just made a batch of sauerkraut myself. I think I had the real deal sauerkraut once before in my life. It is so good I can't believe what a great side dish it makes with everything.

I used my crock from my crock pot and two heads of green cabbage. Slice it thin layer, salt and pack tight. I put a plate and a big 54oz container of coconut oil on top for the weight. It took about 24hrs for the natural water to leach out of the cabbage and cover the cabbage completely. I covered with a clean cloth and waited. I tasted it after one week, it was good but not ready just yet. A total of two weeks and it was ready to go. Put it in a plastic jar and in the fridge. I have been enjoying about a cup of it every day now for weeks.

It is really simple and tastes so good.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I, for one, would appreciate some clarification on how much salt "some" actually is.
    Thanks.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    I despise your entire lineage of sauerkraut.

Your cabbage is a disgrace! You mock the cabbage of your ancestors.

dado Guest
    It's a precarious existence, that of a clown. He entertains to a point but is always in danger or crossing the line from entertainment to creepiness.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    DarthFriendly, are you for real? Wow...do you not have any friends or something?

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I, for one, would appreciate some clarification on how much salt "some" actually is.
    Thanks.
    ...2 to 3% salt is the recommended amount. I always measure, and 25g (close to two tbsp) per 1kg of cabbage seems to work the best...hebs

ps...and even mixing of the salt is just as important as the ratio (cabbage-->salt)