Page 99 of 349 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (RMS) page 99

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I am actually blessed/cursed with a bad memory in regards to things I might regret if I did remember them. Especially regarding my eating, I always think I have stuck to the plan much longer than I really have. This now seems very much like I have been doing this for months when the reality is that I have only been on point for a few days. The good thing is my guilt is very short lived, the bad thing is I can't figure out why I am not getting amazing results since I have been doing it for "so long".

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Bummer about the cheese Ruth.. did you make another batch?

I am loving the idea of getting together!! Summer is naturally best for me as well.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

So look at you cheering everyone else on and not keeping up with your blog. How's it going?

p.s. did you see my suggestion for your cheese? I was thinking maybe ACV would make it tangier and should substitute out exactly for the lemon juice.
    Last edited by demuralist; 01-24-2013 at 10:25 AM.

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Doing....okay. Working away from home several days, including a legislative dinner. When you can't eat dairy, it's VERY difficult to get the right macros. There's protein, and carbs, but not that much fat. I wouldn't even be paying attention and would then think, "oh crud, WAY too much protein".

I know I've gained weight. Sigh. Eating too much. But, generally feeling so good. Know I'm onto something. I haven't had fruit in well over a month. Don't even miss it. That's REALLY good.

Today, I finally feel like I'm doing good. I stayed within my calorie range and hit my macros right on target. Most of my fat was from animals, which makes my body happier. I went back to my journal. I was losing - good - at 1400 calories. I noticed two things - a BIG breakfast of mostly fat and predominant fat was from animals. I'm trying to get back there. I also was trying for 1200 calories, but that was just causing a boomerang reaction - I was compensating by eating 1800 or so calories (yeah, this is why I was gaining weight).

It's a bit of a challenge cooking for a primal husband, semi-primal mom, and NK me. They still need more sides than I do. Go figure. I'm jealous of their veggies!!!!!

Chris - will be making another batch of cheese this weekend (and putting it on top of fridge so my dog can't get it). I will try your suggestion.

It is always what you can't have that causes the worst cravings. I once almost started my apartment on fire because I had been on a diet that did not allow beans (who cares right, I don't even really care for them), but I suddenly had to have a batch of my aunts white beans and pork belly. So I went to an all night grocery store and went home and started the "fast soak", and promptly feel asleep. Luckily my smoke alarm was working and I caught it before it actually flamed.

Point is, yes it is hard, but it is easier if you focus on the great stuff you can have.

So nice to have the data to know that 1400 seems to be a sweet spot. And you even then have examples of what meals you were eating.

You know you can do this. Maybe you could take a break from trying to lose weight, for a month or so till you can get your macros dialed in, celebrate the fantastic loss you have accomplished so far, and hopefully by then your job situation will have ironed itself out.
    Last edited by demuralist; 01-25-2013 at 05:37 AM. Reason: grammar

Thanks, Chris, for the pep talk. You always help me put things back in perspective.

That's my thought, too. I just need to not gain any more weight - I need my dress clothes to fit for work I know I'm on the right track - just need to string enough good days together!!!

I do try and remember how far I've come. I used to be 240 pounds. I'm now 160-something. That's pretty darn good. And, while I'm irritated that I can't get back into the 150s, I've maintained pretty well.

The data point is the reason I do keep journaling. I can at least see what is working and what is not.

I am SO glad it is Friday. It's been a fast week, but long at the same time.

ah, see, and my first goal is to just get back below 240.

I understand the concern about going back up, but I feel confident you are on the right track, and the reward of feeling good can be very motivating.

What if you make a list of fats you do have access to that you can eat?

I like to keep things simple, I do the same breakfast and the same lunch pretty much every day. Then Dinner is a big salad with a protein and a homemade dressing (the boys then eat a smaller salad, the protein, a starch, and maybe another veg). And a salad with a protein is what I order when I eat out.

Maybe you can figure out a go to breakfast/lunch/dinner for the times you have to eat on the road.

We came within 2 degrees of not having school/work this morning, rats! We close if Metro cancels school for inclement weather, but they chose not to close today

Bummer that you didn't get to close!

Of course, since I work from home, I can work anytime. That's both good and bad.

I do need a list of go-to foods...I'm slowly figuring out what those are going to be. I'm learning that animal fats can't be my primary source - weird, but it's the way my body seems to work. Yesterday, I had a great breakfast of pate, egg yolks, and a little olive tapenade. I'm planning on that again today. Fat bread is also good (need to make some more). If I get my breakfast right, the rest of the day (usually) falls right into place. For awhile, I tried to switch things so that my main meal was at dinner (when DH and mom eat), but my body doesn't like that. I'm sure with time I could make the switch, but it's too disruptive right now. Maybe after I get to goal weight I'll see if I can make that switch. I also got some pastured tallow & lard in the mail yesterday. I'm dreaming of the things I can make with it that will work with my body!

My challenge with traveling is that I'm obligated to eat business meals and don't have a lot of control over the restaurants we go to. Sometimes I can find guac, which is okay for one meal, but when I need to eat out for 3 meals, the carbs/protein start to get too high and I don't get enough animal fat. I also don't always have a fridge, which makes bringing my own food challenging. The good news - I think I only have 1 leg dinner (the others are just receptions, where I don't have to worry about eating) and I don't think I travel again until mid-February (guess that's only a few week away - but a few weeks at home will be really helpful!). I'll keep working on this, because it's not probably going way anytime real soon.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Great, take these few weeks to work out the plan. Maybe packing some pre measured fatty snacks would help for travel. I pre measure nuts and pork rinds. lol Add extra butter to veg or Olive oil to salads? Have you tried eating cream cheese? It has minimal lactose.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ruth, I curious as the next batch of cheese. Also, can you tell me more about your morning pate..I think you posted it but not sure where to find it.

I agree with taking these moments to plan. If you could have premeasured items to travel with then maybe when you went to dinner you could have a soup or salad and then eat what you brought when you get back to the room? Not sure if this was addressed, probably but my head is fuzzy.

Since you log foods in MFP, can you "play" with the website and plug in items ahead of time to see what goes well together for your macros? For instance, if I eat this... I know I can not have that because I will be over in .....area.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.