Page 65 of 334 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (RMS) page 65

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hey, ladies, thanks for checking in on me!

Well, first off, lots and lots of travel. Some for work, some for vacation. When I'm vacationing, no (or very limited) internet for me

Aside from that..........not doing great. First off, I've gained back all the weight I lost since starting SPEED in November. That's a major bummer, especially since it's not like I'm eating anything particularly exciting (mostly, I think I'm eating too much). And, what's particularly frustrating, I can't seem to get anything back off. Counting calories -- not working. Obviously, "intuitive eating" -- not working, either. I'm tired all the time. I can't concentrate. My sleep is not great (though I can't figure out why).

On a more positive note, part of our vacation was spent hiking in Moab. We ended up on a semi-advanced trail (certainly advanced for me!). We also got off trail, met an expert German hiker, and did some bouldering. I am amazed and pleased with myself that I had the courage to try some of these things and then the strength to pull myself up That was cool. We're planning more hiking during the weekends!

Not sure what my going forward plans are. I eat pretty much primal as a lifestyle. Need to figure out the rest. I'd like to eat intuitively -- I know I cannot count calories for the rest of my life. Frankly, I'm tired of all the energy I've spent during my life trying to lose weight. Not that I'm giving up -- I refuse to do that -- but, this weight loss thing cannot continue to be the center of my universe. Life is too short for that.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    Not sure what my going forward plans are. I eat pretty much primal as a lifestyle. Need to figure out the rest. I'd like to eat intuitively -- I know I cannot count calories for the rest of my life. Frankly, I'm tired of all the energy I've spent during my life trying to lose weight. Not that I'm giving up -- I refuse to do that -- but, this weight loss thing cannot continue to be the center of my universe. Life is too short for that.
    so much to ponder in this paragraph. I have so many of the same feelings and I am not even as far in the weightloss thing as you.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    One of my practitioners suggested "adrenal fatigue" to me as a reason why I am not losing weight and bingeing. If I'm fatigued, then you guys definitely are too. lol
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    So, we 4 here together again. Seemingly in the same boat. flailing and trying to keep ourselves and help keep each other a float.

Truthfully this is exactly why I am spending June in data collection. I sat down and thought about what I could accomplish (or would have accomplished) if I didn't spend so much energy on trying to lose weight. But at the same time I know that I can't stop until I get the weight off. Stalemate. Hoping against hope that having all the data lined up in neat little graphs will slap me in the face with a solution. Not sure what else to do. At the very least, I can take it all to my doc and see what sorts of tests/studies we need to do to figure things out.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Here's what I know:

* Calories matter if I want to lose weight. Every time in my life I have watched my calories, it works.
    * Context matters. I've never felt so good as when I eat Paleo/Primal. I feel nourished, healthy.
    * Exercise matters some, but food is the biggest thing.
    * My body likes weight training.
    * I prefer activity I actually enjoy. Going to gym and walking on the treadmill is not it. I like walking (either my dogs or with my husband). I love hiking. I generally enjoy weight training, although I prefer it to be functional (i.e., training to get stronger at hiking, etc.).
    * I don't do well at maintenance.
    * I often eat for reasons other than hunger (boredom, procrastination, feeling tired, feeling stressed, etc.). For awhile, I had conquered this demon, but since my grandparent's passing in September, not so much.
    * I eat my food so fast I can't enjoy it.
    * I eat past my full point.
    * I have a persistent feeling of exhaustion (but not sleepiness, if that makes any sense) that I can't shake. Vacation helped, but it was not enough. I'm using food -- most fruit (sugar) -- to help me get through the day.
    * I have pretty severe acne, which I've never had in my life, that won't clear up. Even when I did a strict detox and ate pretty darned near perfectly Paleo for weeks straight. The bit of acne I had before going primal went away (magically, it felt like) when I went primal. I signals that something is going on in my body...I'm just not sure what.

Paula suggested adrenal fatigue as a source. Funny, years ago, I did have adrenal fatigue. It was very severe. I took the quiz almost a year ago and was excited that I had no problems in that area. I took it again last night...I'm in the moderate category. Makes a lot of sense. It would explain why IF helped me drop 10 pounds last year, but this year, it sets me up for major eating sprees. I think it's too much stress for my body right now. NO IFIng UNTIL I GET BETTER (whatever it is that I'm healing). I need to think on this...
    -- Ruth

I think I may be in the same boat as far as adrenals go. It would explain why I feel so crappy if I go without calories of any kind for long periods (over about 5 hours). My BS (blood sugar not bullshi#) is normal, and has been for years, so think I am probably close to ok with insulin.

So far my June data is telling me nothing, early I know, but frustrating none the less.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Yes, I am starting to believe that what I thought was thyroid slow down caused by too much VLC eating may have been Adrenal Fatigue instead. The clues are that my crash happened when I was over exercising and just not eating enough. It turns out that all of my symptoms-hypoglycemia, low BP and HR, anxiety, sleep apnea etc are all signs of too much cortisol and adrenalin.

I feel like the puzzle peices are starting to come together. BUT alas, I'm still bingeing. Maybe the counseling will make a difference. I can't seem to tell myself no, when I should be able to.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Great, now I'm hearing Ado Annie from Oklahoma sing "I'm Just a Girl Who Cain't Say NO".

hahaha, now I am, rats. And I don't have nearly as good a voice as you do, even if I am just singing it in my head!

Well, I think I can pretty safely say I am past my binging for the most part, but the new habit to replace it is grazing. I know I need something, not necessarily tummy growling but there is definitely something specific I need, but I can't figure it out, so I will have say 2 brazil nuts...nope, a cup of tea...nope, a piece of cheese....nope, a few cherry tomatoes....nope. Then it starts top pick up to things less primal and less scale friendly, until the quantity finally is enough even if the quality is not what I was looking for.

I think I have figured out why it happened yesterday, so I will test it today and see how it goes.
    Chris
    Unknown

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Great, now I'm hearing Ado Annie from Oklahoma sing "I'm Just a Girl Who Cain't Say NO".
    Oh geezz.... I may need to put this musical on.. its a fav! That and seven brides for seven brothers.

googling- adrenal fatigue. I wonder, I wonder.. the binges yesterday were not satisfying.. meds kicking in maybe??
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.