Page 57 of 334 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (RMS) page 57

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Thanks, ladies, for the birthday wishes. The birthday itself was very nice, albeit the fact that I was in the middle of a another traveling spree.

So, last week I struggled. There's no other way to describe it. Luckily, I'm home for the next 3 weeks (except for day trips to Santa Fe, which I can handle!). I'm glad I put the scale away. I know the number is not one I'd like to see right now. My sugar/carb cravings are beyond crazy.

My family and I have decided to do the 21 day sugar detox. I don't usually like to say I "won't" eat something (like fruit or winter squash) for awhile, but at this point, my sugar cravings are so very bad, I'm not getting enough of the good stuff. I need a major "reset" button hit. I literally feel like I did when we first went low carb...that's how bad I've let things get. It's weird how this came on. I'm sure there's a lesson in here somewhere.

I also think I've been so focused on weight loss that I let health go just a bit. Intuitive eating? Forget what that's been like. I also went a little too extreme on "lean meat". Not that I should be eating brisket every meal of every day, but I think I need a chuck roast or something every couple of days. I also seem to do better with the fat coming from my meat as opposed to adding it in the form of ghee or coconut oil.

Anyway, I'm procrastinating getting to work. Had better head over to the place that pays for my internet
    -- Ruth

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I am ready to start fresh as well. I am going to go as simply prepared as possible, I always do best that way. I am still sticking to my 9 different veggies as well. Health focus it is! Good luck.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Day 1 of the 21DSD went well. Of course, most first days do I probably had a little more fat than usual, and I did not track. However, for the first time in a long time, I felt really good. Noticed I'm "snacking" in the afternoon - I'm putting off my afternoon workload! I will get to working on that soon. Still getting my veggies, although I need to work back up to 9 servings. Luckily, the family is also doing the 21DSD with me, which means the tempting foods are gone from the house!
    -- Ruth

Day 3 of the 21DSD.

On Day 1 - I felt grumpy, but I was determined.
    On Day 2 - I felt better. I learned, however, how far I've fallen. I had gotten to the point where I could fast easily. I didn't necessarily fast on purpose, but if I was traveling for work or whatnot, fasts often happened naturally. I got home yesterday, haven not eaten for 6 hours, and felt like I was going to go crazy. Carbs, I wanted carbs. Luckily, I had some meat from a leftover roast. I felt like I couldn't get enough food. I also had too many nuts (i.e., they were not a garnish). I will work on that next week (Krista Scott-Dixon, Precision Nutrition, has a nice 3-part audio/video series from her talk at AHS. She mentions that sometimes we have to take changes in steps, and that's what I'm doing right now. First, the sugar. Next week, the nuts,. The following week, my "candy" [unsweetened coconut milk, coconut oil, and unsweetened chocolate mixed together and "hardened" in the 'fridge]). I certain feel better...more satisfied with my food. Easier to stop when I should be done.

I'm pretty sure I've gained a few pounds from my adventures before I started. I stared up at scale for many moments today, but decided it was better that I come type in my journal rather than upset myself. The tape measure shows a little bloat in the hip area, but I'm hopeful that a few more days of 21DSD will help that go back down. I'm reminding myself that at the moment, I am more focused on health and my relationship with food than I am with the scale or tape measure.
    -- Ruth

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I have stopped trying to IF for now because the cravings cause me to binge. My body is so used to getting sugar.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is evil! I'm doing much the same things as a little easing up on the "rules" has lead me way off track lately too. Part of it was stress/depression and part was testing how much healing my body has done and what would happen if I loosened up a bit. Nothing big - sharing a mocha or vanilla bean frap. from Starbucks, a little ice cream, rice, even a couple pieces of pizza. I learned that these foods really mess me up. My whole body aches like from the flu. Been detoxing since Easter and feeling so much better. Glad you are too!

I just realized I wanted to "be normal" when that thought hits I start eating things I think I should get to eat because normal people do. I realize there is no normal and that allows me to get back on track, mostly. I also remembered that drinking lots of tea took away my need for sweets, that much fluid is very filling.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

You know, Chris, I think I've had a similar problem. I keep thinking I"m going to get to do something "different", but the truth is, this is pretty much the way it's going to be. I need to change my mindset.

Day 3 (yesterday) - went better. I'm starting to feel full again. Only a little grumpy in the afternoon. Definitely a pattern of 3 pm snacking.

I was "bad" and pulled out my scale. Yeah. Not weighing hasn't done anything good on that end (actually, I'm up 4 pounds from 9 days ago...). I also put it back away. I knew that I was indulging too much. I'm getting back on track and that's what matters. I'm always fighting back this darned sugar demon. I remember that drinking lots of tea did really help. I will start that again today.

Happy Thursday. I'm so ready for the weekend!
    -- Ruth

I am starting to realize that there are a couple of simple things I could stick to and they would make a huge difference long term...drink the fluids and get the sleep...so that is my focus right now. Hoping that moving away from a food focus will help me keep that "normal" feeling?
    Chris
    Unknown

Yes. When I first started SPEED, I did two really simple things: ate a modest level of calories and drank a ton of fluids. When I tried to get fancy (decrease salt, fast, tweak my macros, etc.), I started having problems. I need KISS!!!
    -- Ruth