Page 47 of 339 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (RMS) page 47

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    mmm, more time or more money...that is a tough one.

If you finish the PhD, what do you do with it? Nice to say you have it but will the investment pay off in anything but prestige?

If you had more time, what would you do with it? I find if I have more time, well, I waste more time, I don't necessarily get more done.

If you had more money, what would you do with it? same as with the time, except that with money the hubster is an auditing prof, so he invests it somewhere so we can retire comfortably.

Although I think part of the money thing is not just about the amount it is the inequity.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Can I just say, I LOVE being able to "chat" with you all? Seriously.

Chris, you always get right to the heart of the matter. It's scary (in a really good way)

I've had the same conversations with myself about the PhD. In all honesty, I'm not going to use it for anything. I've taught college classes, and while I'm surprising a pretty good prof (my econ classes were always the first to fill up), I don't love teaching and can't imagine doing that everyday (a little on the side - good - everyday - not so good). It's not going to get me a big promotion. I started it because I was bored at my job then.

Now, time, on the other hand? I'm sure I'll waste some time. I feel like, to a certain extent, I'm wasting my life. I've cut back a lot (I used to average 70 hours a week). But, I want to do things like spend more time volunteering. I went to see my shut-in ladies today. A small box of chocolates (I know...) and a little time...they are so happy. More housekeeping during the week so that we can "play" on the weekend - hiking, camping, walking, etc. I do want kids...though we haven't been sucessful at that endeavor yet. I really want to be home with them, at least part time.

More money. If I could get my job upgraded (it really is an equity issue), then I'd use the money to pay off our house faster (which, if kids come in a year or two, would be really handy). We plan on paying it off in 2 years (though, realistically, it's going to be 3 years). I know a lot of people say it isn't the smartest thing to pay off your house, but: (i) we make too much money and don't get the full deduction anyway; and (ii) debt gives both DH and I the willies - we feel more secure without much debt. We're also really big savers. We're somewhat frugal. We only eat out 1x (maybe, if I'm traveling a lot, 2x) per month. I buy most of my clothes second hand or deeply discounted. My car is over 10 years old and has 110k on it. So, money is good, but we are not hurting and we would still be saving at a good rate.

I applied for the job. We shall see if I get an offer. I'll then go through all this drama again if that happens

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Good Luck!

It really is a dilemma, but after my near death experience, time has become the most important. Second to that, but related, is happiness with one's life. And based on those values, making changes to increase time with people and activities that make you happy.

Well, as to paying off the house, it was one of our first priorities, and Dh is pretty knowledgeable about these things, and/or knows who to consult, so it has to be a pretty good idea.

I tend to lean with Paula on this, at least for myself. You can always cut back on things and really not even miss them, but time cannot be substituted for.

Also, when we had our kids, I was able to stay at home with them and that was such a wonderful gift. We of course did without a lot, and I did absolutely everything-no hired help for anything, no eating out, consignment clothes and furniture, did not get the latest techy stuff, but obviously totally worth it.

Things will work out, it is the stress of the wait that will kill you.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day

Amen as to the stress of the wait

157.4 today (+2, +1.2 from newest low). This bouncing is pretty typical. Hopefully tomorrow will slide down to a new low. I had two days where I didn't get enough sleep. Incidentally, they were days without enough veggies or my kelp noodles.

I wish I could sew. I have some wonderful outfits that could be remade if I had any skills. I have some nice suits that I'll take to get altered soon. I think I spent too much time on pinterest this weekend when I couldn't talk to y'all

Thank goodness for pinterest this weekend, it was actually productive for me as I ended up finding the link to buy the lamps I have been looking for for about 3 years!

I can sew, but HATE it. Would much rather get new (well new to me anyway)
    Chris
    Unknown

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    Kelp noodles.. kelp noodles.. somewhere I missed something again!!!

Oh and LOVING pintrest!! Lately I am searching for ideas for small spaces and decorating I want to do a wall with a plate motif
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

In theory, kelp noodles come from seaweed and have a good source of iodine. Iodine seems to be helping with my sleep quality (along with the 5 HTP)... I HATE fish, and seaweed tastes the same, but the kelp noodles have no taste, so I'm okay. They are probably too processed, but hey, better than nothing

athomeontherange is online now Senior Member
    so... exactly how are these kelp noodles prepared???
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    Kelp noodles.. kelp noodles.. somewhere I missed something again!!!

Oh and LOVING pintrest!! Lately I am searching for ideas for small spaces and decorating I want to do a wall with a plate motif
    Read the Iodine anyone? thread. I am usind supplements, not seaweed.