Page 25 of 349 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (RMS) page 25

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Amen. I'm not real good with balance, but I sure am trying,

159. Yay. I'm gaining on 150 (by gaining, I mean losing).

I've spent my entire life being overweight. Either disliking my body or trying to "diet"...that's taken up a lot of my time and effort. Oh, well. It has certainly shaped who I am. Someday, I hope to help other women lose weight. All of this experience has to be good for something!

In my early 20s, I dropped a lot of weight...to about 147. I did weight watchers. I'm amazed at how resilient the body is, because I sure didn't treat it very well. This was a typical day of food: 1 cup Fiber 1 cereal + 1/2 cup skim milk; 1 weight watcher meal or chicken "taco salad - chicken, iceberg lettuce, salsa, 12 tortilla chips; 1 bag light microwave popcorn; 1 weight watcher dinner + corn cob; 1 sugar-free fudge bar. I ran 1 hour/day, plus walking an hour at night. No wonder why I couldn't maintain...hardly any veggies or protein or good fat. Seriously, is it any wonder that a few years later my body rebelled (adrenal fatigue - if you believe in that kind of thing, PCOS, etc.)?

Have you guys read this (also free)? It’s finally here! Fuck Calories! :: stumptuous.com [there are some F bombs in there, but if you can skip that, there's some good information]. Some good stuff, actually. I'll try to thing and summarize more later. But, here are a few quotes I like:
    * If you don't like the output your body is giving you, fix the input. That means everything. Your food, your thoughts, your feelings, your life.
    * Your body can't talk, so learn its language. Pain is a language. Food and eating is a language. Anxiety, fear, and distress is a language. Disease is a language.
    * Always assume your body is looking out for you, even if its actions seem misguided. There's a reason is says or does what it does...All it wants is to keep you alive and loved.
    * If your body is unhappy, get real with yourself. Do what is in your power to fix it.
    * How's that working for you? -- What evidence of your own experience show you to be true? Are your choices and behaviors actually taking you where you want to go?
    * Have compassion. Your body is going the best it can. [I am SO mean to my body!]
    * Junk the self-criticism sh** along with the sugar. [Dear friends...I know many of you are need this...just like I REALLY do.]
    * As you live, so you eat.
    * Your relationship with food and eating is your life. --> If you rush through food, you probably rush through life. [This is me to a T] If you furtively and shamefully, you probably carry other secrets. [Worked a LOT on this] If food is your release, you are probably over-burdened and over-responsible elsewhere. [YEAH baby, this one rings of truth...and I can see when I've downsized some things in life how this has gotten better.] If you fear deprivation, you probably need more abundance. All of this is negotiable. You can change this.

I love eating primal. It makes my body beyond happy. But, I'll tell you one thing, without addressing the underlying psychology of many of my habits (which go way beyond eating or not eating grains), I won't be able to do this for life. I've made good progress...but I need to keep at it.

Enough for now Happy Saturday.

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    This quote is one I was so attuned to the last time I lost weight and somehow I forgot...

Always assume your body is looking out for you, even if its actions seem misguided. There's a reason is says or does what it does...All it wants is to keep you alive and loved.

The whole purpose of the body is to survive and thrive. And sometimes the desires and actions seem contrary to that, but first and foremost, the body evolved to survive.

And that last one...Your relationship with food and eating is your life. --> If you rush through food, you probably rush through life. [This is me to a T] If you furtively and shamefully, you probably carry other secrets. [Worked a LOT on this] If food is your release, you are probably over-burdened and over-responsible elsewhere. [YEAH baby, this one rings of truth...and I can see when I've downsized some things in life how this has gotten better.] If you fear deprivation, you probably need more abundance.

I have noticed that as I have let go of saying yes to everything, to being over-burdened, I do view food differently. And fearing deprivation is one of my huge "reasons" for not wanting to be hungry. Which I always thought was weird because I have never really had to go hungry. But the idea that I need more abundance, makes me think of how much like my mother I am. I make sure that everyone has theirs (dh, the kids, the church, the schools, the charities) and then if there is time/money maybe me. A big part of this is that I didn't work outside of the home for most of our marriage, and even when I did/do the amount that I make doesn't even cover our taxes-my talents and abilities are not as marketable as DH's, so I felt/feel guilty spending on me.

WOW, great stuff Ruth!

p.s. CONGRATS on the loss!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    My favorite, "If you don't like the output, change the input." This is what I am doing now and it seems to be working. I'm changing both the food input and the exercise input. I'll have to read the whole thing later. I'm on a short brunch break.

BTW less than 18 months ago, your WW menu would have looked perfect to me.

Great Job on the loss, keep it up.

p.s. I went to the site you suggested about IF, and roamed around. They have a series of 5 videos (free) that you can sign up for. They will send you a link a day for 5 days. About successful weight loss. Each video is 5 minutes or so long, and includes a link to a 'cheat' sheet of the salient points for that video. I think it is worth the time to check it out. Especially the last day, which talks about why 98% of people trying to lose fat permanently fail (hint: trying to change too much at once). Each day hits a different topic. Seems to be well researched, reasonable, and mostly compatible with Primal/SPEED (or at least easily adaptable ie. number of meals, inclusion of some grains). The program is more useful that the recipes. Anyway, here is the link for that if you are interested....Precision Nutrition Coaching & Certification | Fat Loss Course: Women
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.

I'm on day 3 of the course. I really like it as well. Again, as you say, a few small differences from the way I eat, but the underlying information is really good.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    AWESOME info Ruth.. I will be digesting this for a few days.. feeling very ADHD lately.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

For better or worse, I got a scale for my bedroom (instead of having to go to mom's bathroom). It does increments in points. Don't know yet if that's a good or bad thing

I haven't sprinted on my treadmill for a week. I'm a LOT stronger. Walking? Eating clean? I don't know. Need to push myself next week.

Walked every day this week, even when it was cold. Now, I need some LHT!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You can do it, tell us about the good stuff you did!

One of the things I really liked about that series of videos is the idea that you choose as few things to change as you know you can do for 30 days with 100% confidence.

In other words, if you say you are going to do XYZ, but don't know with 100% confidence that you can do all of them for the 30 days, then you only do XY, but if you don't think you can do both of those for 30 days then just do X. Commit yourself to do only that which you know you can do for the next 30 days, then after that do the next 30 days with a new change.

It was very enlightening, if crazy obvious once he said it!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 4:3 - 3 day fast diet with real food every day, with a little twist of anti-inflammatory mixed in.