Page 240 of 336 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250290 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 3360

Thread: Primal Journal (RMS) page 240

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Heard from the state. Now they need another homestudy (to check that our house is still safe)???? Anyway, progress, so I don't care...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    -- Ruth

Now I'm "hungry". Emotions of all kinds trigger eating desires for me.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    -- Ruth

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I so get that, I so need to learn to let myself feel it and not eat it.

You do so well in your home studies that it isn't really an issue. It is especially sad for the boys you plan to adopt, it is hard for you to have to wait, but for them it must be especially so.

Soo, how are you?
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

I'm feeling...unsettled? So much going on, everything is in flux, which is not a bad thing, but my little planner/goal setter personality struggles admist the sea of change.

* New boss. I worked for him years ago, but only for a little while, and I've grown (and become a stronger/more dominant personality). It'll be okay, but it's a transition.
    * I know I'm planning to quit, but don't have a firm end date (up in the air pending kiddos), and haven't told anyone.
    * My health has taken a general decline this year and I feel a bit powerless. My lab work wasn't bad, but not near as good as previous years. I've gained 20 lbs. My eye sight got WAY worse in one year. My acne is no better. I'm tired (but not sleepy) all the time.
    * Don't know when/if we'll ever have kiddos (I hope some of this is resolved on Monday, at least in terms of timing). I'm worried we're not going to be good parents. I'm worried that we don't have the right skills needed to parent these traumatized kids. I pray we have the patience/stamina for it.
    * I'm not weighing, and am instead am focusing on listening to my body, not eating when I'm not hungry, and following ADF. But, it's scary, even if I'm convinced it's what I need.
    * I'm finding out all kinds of things about myself. I eat for almost every emotion, good or bad. I eat out of habit. On my DDs, I feel "lost" because I'm skipping 2 meals. It's not that I'm overwhelming hungry...it's more of a restlessness about not having something to do at a specified time. UDs...let's say I need some control, especially over sweet stuff. I have literally been on a diet for 15 years, and for years I've denied myself anything pleasurable. I think that pattern of denial is coming back in full force. I'm working through it, but wow.
    * I don't know who I am if I'm not working. When I was in 6th grade, I moved in with my grandparents. I learned about college. I decided then and there that I was going to college and working and having financial security. I was not repeating the life of poverty of my early childhood. I'm now finding that money isn't the answer to all of my problems (obviously, one needs a baseline of income, I don't want to be homeless, but it's not the answer I thought it would be). But, I'm so goal oriented. What am I working toward if it's not the career? What happens if I'm off for 3-6 months and realize I miss my job? It's not easy to find something that pays over $100k per year. I know in my heart it's time to leave, but it's sure not as easy as I thought it might be.

Anyway, just a few rambling thoughts that are floating around in my mind.

We did mini bags of popcorn. I know, nothing good there, but I feel better about it than candy. It's a HUGE success. The kids are babbling about their popcorn all the way down the walk. My mom is so thrilled to be handing this out. We are going to run out in about 1/2 hour. Guess we should have bought more -- we had 120 bags, we probably need 200-300. Sigh. Yuppyville. We put the baby gate at the front door so that the kids can see the dogs, but don't get overwhelmed (they are totally sweet, but at 60-70 lb each, they scare some of the little ones). Of course, most of the neighborhood kids know my dogs by name...

HOLY CRAP!

How many stresses can you pile on before the body screams enough? I have no doubt that stress is your health issue.

As to the ADF, Krista Varady wrote a book regarding her studies on ADF, you might find it at the library and see what information she might have to make your program feel better. (rats, never mind, it doesn't come out until Dec. 24th, 2013, "The Every Other Day Diet"). Maybe though you can google and see if you can find details from her. She has some very specific findings that are a little different that other recommendations I have seen, and well, she actually did the study.

Let me just say, as a Stay-At-Home-Mom (SAHM), that it is work. When we decided that I would stay at home to be with the kids, I was VERY concerned. I had never not worked, from getting my aunt to make my cousins and I pies if I did her hair for her (I had to stand on a stool to put the rollers in), to getting my dad to pay me to paint the house when I was in junior high, to finally getting "a real job" in High school, I gotta say I was worried. Now every one has to make their own decisions in this regard, neither of my sisters were mentally equipped to be a SAHM, and both went back to work. I was not mentally equipped to be a working mom. As long as you can put aside the judgements of people who will think a variety of unpleasant things about you (from lazy to stupid to whatever the hell it is they think), you will soon realize that your job is to insure those boys grow up to be upstanding contributing citizens of society. Depending on your gifts and talents, you may be better equipped to do that with or without an outside job.

I feel pretty confident if after 6 months you decide you need to work outside the home, you will have no trouble getting a position. For 100K, maybe not, but something fulfilling none the less.

And oh so cool to do popcorn bags. One year I did quarters because I didn't expect anyone, the little ones thought it was the coolest thing in the world. By the time the bigger ones started I just told them I had run out, and let them take the quarter or not, their decision. Ours this year was switched to tonight because of bad weather, since we are going to be sitting in the front room playing cards, I am going to have to go out and get some candy as there will be no way to pretend we aren't home!

ok, sorry it got so long, hope you can glean something out of it.

I always appreciate your wisdom, Chris. It's funny, because I don't think I have that much stress in my life...but it's because most people I know have so much more than I do, so my point of comparison is off

9 days of solid, UD/DD rotations and no scale. My big pants still fit, so I at least haven't gained weight It's hard to know if I'm losing, because a lot of times, it come of my collar bone, etc...places that don't get measured and are more difficult to see.

I'm generally pleased with my eating, though still too much "junk" on my UDs. I've been using Cronometer to track my UD meals and I'm hitting their amino acid/mineral/vitamins generally out of the water (a bit low on Vit E, folate, and calcium), which means I'm generally eating well.

I don't know what I'm doing today. Some chores, but not many. Knitting for sure

Well, you may remember when I began my style of ADF, it was not very successful, not very comfortable, and not very convenient. But I stuck with it, and slowly started to learn to listen to my body. I know pay less attention to what anyone says is healthy to eat, and make myself decide what it is I really want to eat. This has required that I actually wait until I am physically hungry to eat something. I can usually tell if the hunger is not physical because what I think I want are generally nutrient deficient foods, ie. white carbs. Now I am not saying I don't let myself have some white carbs, but I don't let them be the first thing I grab, and they MUST be homemade by me. At least that is the goal, mostly achieved.

What has been amazing is...how rarely I am actually physically hungry when I go looking for food, and how the scale rarely agrees with what I did the day before and how my clothes are feeling. Also, how much I look forward to the down days is pretty weird. Used to hate traveling with DH because he would want to do 1 huge meal a day and I "needed" at least 3 medium meals and a snack or 2 or I would start to feel queasy.

I pretty tightly track my down days, which are easy because they tend to be the same thing. On my up days I tend to just put it in the notes at the bottom of the page. I have let go of guilt, which I think is a huge improvement.

Our Whole Foods has a Knitting Night, on Thursdays they provide the needles and yarn and instruction and you knit a scarf to donate. I am planning to try it soon.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by demuralist View Post
    What has been amazing is...how rarely I am actually physically hungry when I go looking for food, and how the scale rarely agrees with what I did the day before and how my clothes are feeling.
    Very interesting. And I agree with the scale thing. I find weigh 'gains' from 'an incident' usually show up a couple of days later, when my mind has already forgotten what I ate. If I wasn't writing it down, I might be able to convince myself that it came out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Very interesting. And I agree with the scale thing. I find weigh 'gains' from 'an incident' usually show up a couple of days later, when my mind has already forgotten what I ate. If I wasn't writing it down, I might be able to convince myself that it came out of nowhere.
    that is totally spot on, and why I think that tracking is essential.

Actually one of the things that kind of worries me is that I do so rarely feel hunger that I recognize. I know I must be hungry, I just don't recognize it yet. Currently the most reliable way for me to know if I am really hungry right now is the kind of food that I look for to satisfy. Hoping that this program will eventually help to me to recognize the physical signs.