Page 23 of 334 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (RMS) page 23

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Very healthy attitude regarding the scale.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Chris.. great scale attitude. I also like the resolution
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    160 today. Yay. Walked the dogs yesterday. Almost talked myself out of it because the husband didn't feel good and didn't want to go. I don't know why...I always enjoy it when I'm outside.

Have to run to the dentist. I hate the dentist. I'd rather have my annual exam! Will write more later and check in on everyone.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I hate the dentist too, but my checkups since I went Primal have been good. Hope it went well.

159. It's probably my weekly low - I decided to add in a day of fasting again to see if that helps. Walked the dogs - it was late and cold, but did it. Yay. Walking is getting to be a habit again

Have any of you read this free e-book on fasting? Intermittent Fasting | John Berardi Intermittent Fasting Free E-book Dr. Berardi (not primal, but pretty darn close) did a great self experiment. I like the book for tons of reasons:
    * He outlines the several different fasting methods you see out there. When I first started thinking about IF, it would have been nice to have the entire universe of thought in one concise place.
    * He does a great self-experimentation. I like how he lays it out. Give it two weeks. If it's working, you don't need to change anything. If it's not working, change one small thing at a time. I tend to want to change many things at one time. Then, of course, I don't know what is working and what isn't.
    * IF isn't for everyone and he really cautions that. There are also several really nice places where he, and one of the co-authors, note things to watch out for, etc.
    * He notes that these are his results...you can't necessarily extrapolate them to others. It's important for me to remember that.
    * He suggests that most people should try to fast at least 1 time. I found these reasons to be true (and he had a few others that really rang with me)
    -- hunger isn't an emergency (yep - used to be for me)
    -- physical vs psych hunger (um, yes, IF helped me learned to figure out true, real hunger...now if I could just know when I'm satisfied but not stuffed!)
    -- eating as a privilege (this really hit me).
    -- eating as a responsibility (I want to take more time to think about this. Certainly a different, but very true thought).
    -- food marketing/manipulation.

As he's wrapping up his experiment (and I like how he develops a good set of take-aways), he says this about daily weighing:

"Some people use the scale as a judge of their past decisions, which is why they’re intimidated by it, and why it causes such crises of self-esteem. I don’t use my scale that way. In fact, I loved weighing in every day during these experiments because my scale doesn’t judge my past actions. Instead, it informs my future ones.

Every day my scale gives me important information about what to do next. That’s why I’ll keep weighing in every day. Body weight measures help me make key decisions about my food intake and training.

(Note: the scale works for me because body weight manipulation is an important goal of mine right now. Over time, body weight is a reflection of energy balance. However, if your goals are different from mine, you should choose different measures that better reflect what you want to accomplish.)"

This is what I strive for (but, honestly, don't always see) with my daily weights. I'm going to try and look at things more as an experiment. I'm somewhat scientifically inclined, so we shall see if that helps my mental attitude.

Anyway, about time to get to work. I'd much rather be on here all day...but, am working on my financial goals so can't quit my day job yet

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Wow, those are some fabulous insights. I'll have to read this and think more about it. I've had some of my greatest success when I IF'd regularly. It actually seemed to help me reign in the binge monster.

Love the insights, makes me want to IF. I have not been successful with it in the past but will download the book when I get home (on my own computer).

I did seem to remember Paula, that IF worked for you. mmmmm
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

IF helped me break through a big plateau. I would have to say, however, that I can only IF if my eating is completely in line. That's why I started back at the basics - 3 meals, no snacking, meat, veggies, fat, limited fruit, nuts, etc. Also, it's interesting. I tried both daily IF and 1x/week, and 1x/week seems to work best. I'm pairing 1x/week IF with 1 higher calorie day and will see how that goes this week. I like the idea of calling it an experiment - seems like the scale has less power. Of course, I want this first one to be a success

I skimmed through the ebook, I still don't think IF is for me, however his website has an interesting 5 day free video set of lessons. Lesson one, I listened to last night, sounds a lot like it is taking SPEED principles, and simplifying them. I will keep you posted, but he seems to have a lot of good things to say, much of it free. (I have already promised myself I will not pay for another 'diet' book, etc.)
    Chris
    Unknown

That's what I like about the ebook - he really says IF is not for everyone and that it doesn't have to be. I thought it was an interesting read, even if I wasn't going to do IF. I like him. I might also check out the free lessons. I too have no reason to pay for another diet book. The only other thing I might consider is something related to psych - which is a part that I think needs much more attention for a lot of us.

160 today (+1 from yesterday, but actually a pretty good low). I completely expected this. I was coming off of a fast, let yesterday be a high calorie day, and had more sodium. On the high calorie day, I didn't go wild with sweets or junk. I let myself have italian sausage (clean - just higher fat/lower protein than I usually have), chicken crockpot curry made with coconut milk (again, higher fat than usual), and ended the night with some butter tea. I went to be happy (although I got 4-5 times -- trying to get my fluid intake back up).

Went for a walk with the dogs. It was during my afternoon "slump". Just a few minutes after we were outside, I immediately felt better. I'd say its the Vit D, except that I'm pretty well covered up, even my hands, except for the face. Maybe it's the fresh air? Or the sunshine, even if I'm covered up?