Page 203 of 333 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 3324

Thread: Primal Journal (RMS) page 203

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Time for a quick post only.

Today, first day of parenting classes. We have 4 of these (2 this month, 2 next month) and then are we are licensed and ready to go. The classes are ALL day. Sigh. I'm excited, but they seem like so much when my life has been so chaotic.

Chris, FMLA is family medical leave act. Basically, if you have some family-type thing (adoption, child-birth, family illness), you are legally entitled to take up to 3 months off without losing your job. BUT, you have to have worked for 3 months. My employer requires I use all of my vacation and the remainder is unpaid. (If you give birth, you usually get 6-8 weeks (sometimes more) of paid medical leave...but I won't get that). With the kiddos, I'm really wanting to take a few months off to bond with them. And, it would be nice if most of it was paid. The challenge is that I rarely get an entire week off...so taking 2-3 months is going to be a real adjustment for my employer!

I'll try not to comment for too long on my weight. Even after 3 lowish/medium days, my weight is higher than it has been in over 2 years. BIG sigh. It's like something is going wrong in my body. I have gained 20 pounds in 3 months and 10 pounds in 3 weeks. It cannot just be water - my clothing doesn't fit. What has my puzzled is that while I'm not eating great, I'm not eating terribly. I'm not eat all that much. I don't know. Can stress do this??? Anyway, I'm not giving up. My plan of attack:
    * Cut the fruit back out. It's hard, because it's summer, but fruit sends my sugar cravings through the roof. I don't know why, but I appear really sensitive.
    * Lower carb, generally (see above).
    * ADF, but starting with higher down days and being flexible to switch if the work situation doesn't lend itself well.

I travel through the rest of the month and then it almost stops. Yay. I'm hiring a new person in TX, so there will be a few trips, but those tend to be easier because I drive (can bring my cooler) and stay where there's a full kitchen.

Other than that, I have been to Goodwill and picked up a few skirts to wear in the interim. I don't know what's going on with my body, but I refuse to not dress well and feel good in the interim. I deserve to look nice/attractive, even though I feel horribly gross right now.

Happy Saturday! Hope to catch up with my friends later today.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I think it IS stress. Of course, that's a hard thing to tackle. Do you have any destressing routines that you can try?

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Hormonal problems can also cause major weight gains.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Ruth, here is a link to the 5:2 forum progress tracker...5:2 Diet Progress Tracker | The 5:2 Fast Diet Forum...I think it is a very good place to start when trying to figure out your up and down days. Once you get your body on the system, then you can adjust how many down days you have as well as what your up days and down days consist of.

I have this gut feeling that you try to go too low on both the down and up days, and then the stress does a combination of things...
    1. it doesn't allow your body to fully use what you do eat, nutrient wise
    2. the lower level of available nutrients causes your body to hoard what it does have
    3. the lower level of available nutrients causes your body to look for more nutrients
    4. stress messes with hormones, sleep, emotions, fat storage, nutrient usage, etc.

I think you need to get to stabilization, low stress, and adequate sleep. Then worry about fat loss.

Thank you, dear friends. I think you are all right. The question is what I do to starting fixing this stuff.

Feeling better today. Am planning a bit ol' nap already

The class yesterday was a waste of time. It was taught by well-meaning, over-worked, under-paid state social workers. Next week is taught by paid experts. I hope we learn a lot more, particularly in the area of raising/disciplining kids who have experienced trauma. It was also not taught to my learning style. Today's pedagogy seems to thing that a lot of group activities help in the workplace. Not so much. Also, I feel like the learning diminishes. But, hey, that's coming from a major introvert who has had a grueling several weeks.

This week, I have got to focus on nutrition. I think, Chris, you are right. When I travel, I tend to eat very low calorie. Not purposely, but I have fewer few choices with my need to be gluten free and (mostly) dairy free. The problem is that I'm not necessarily eating quality. I end up with a lot of iceberg lettuce (in my salads) and grilled chicken (not enough and not my body's preferred animal source). By the time I get home, I'm STARVING. And, then sometimes we're basically out of food as well, because I've been gone all week. Then I eat crap, but am still not nourishing my body. Throw in major stress (which I don't always manage well and find it difficult to employ good techniques while I'm traveling) and poor sleep (time zone changes, difficulty sleeping in hotels, sometimes stomach distress from eating out) and it's a recipe for havoc. Somehow, I have got to figure this stuff out!

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    oh hey.. regarding parenting.. you might check out love and logic. They have a website but they are excellant sources. In fact they have a email newsletter with tips you could start collecting if you were so inclined. Always good to have a nicely stocked tool belt. I use LL for school as well as home.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

I personally credit the L&L style for me being able to keep my sanity while raising 2 very intelligent and strong willed children, helping them to learn to properly direct their energies and understand that there are consequences (some good some bad) to every single decision you make. I very strongly recommend Love and Logic.

Traveling is not good for you in many ways, obviously minimizing it is likely your best bet.

I often order burgers with a salad, most restaurants will throw a burger instead of a chicken breast on your salad. Maybe you could make and carry jerky from your sources at home and at least get enough protein. You could also take veggies that agree with you, that you dehydrate at home. I also use my freezer a lot. So there is always at least 1 protein source and 1 bag of frozen veggies in there, so that when we get home I can make a decent dinner before I have a chance to go shopping. Also, eggs can sit in the fridge for a pretty long time, and make a very quick nutritious dinner scrambled with a bag of frozen veggies.

I think if you sit down after your nap, you will be able to work out a few simple solutions.

This was on the JUDDD forum. Heeheehee.

evil_scale-238x300_zps911009f1.jpg

😄 Feel like that pretty often!
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMS123 View Post
    This was on the JUDDD forum. Heeheehee.

evil_scale-238x300_zps911009f1.jpg
    To be fair, the gun probably adds two pounds. >.>

best of luck with everything. I have no idea how you deal with all the stress to be honest. Hopefully some time away from work will help.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony