Page 141 of 349 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191241 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,410 of 3488

Thread: Primal Journal (RMS) page 141

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    So Ruth, what is your conclusion?

RMS123 is offline Senior Member
    Not that I necessarily believe in these quiz things, but it has me as a fast oxidizer, which supports my theory that I do better with heavy (and fattier) meat. Don't know if it's true, but makes me feel like I'm on the right track. I don't know where that leaves me in terms of NK. I know I do better on a mostly animal diet. I'm not sure about the protein/fat ratio, however. NK is very hard...and I don't like how easy it appears to bounce out of it. During the 3 months I've been attempting it, I've basically gotten nowhere. Had I lost (and kept off) 5 (or more) pounds, I might think more highly of it. Of course, it really could be user error. But if this user is struggling so much, makes me wonder about the long term prospects....

Anyway, will keep on at least through Saturday of the JUDDD calorie cycling trial. I will try to focus on animal foods, with more of an emphasis on heavier proteins. Today is a low day and I feel okay. A lot of mental hunger. Some real hunger, but it's so nice to remember what real hunger feels like. Plus, it makes me push the liquids, which I know I need without many carbs.

what if you shift your focus to eating the foods that make you feel best, and away from NK. Obviously keep tracking so you can repeat (or not!) as needed. But food is supposed to nourish and not be a stressor-physically or mentally.

Also, being sick had to throw a wrench in the works. I really feel like you need to really get yourself well and healed and sleeping. I think getting that working will make the last of the weight melt off.

Yes. Very wise, as always, Chris. I've been naturally going that direction the last few days, but didn't want to admit it, because I think NK holds so much promise. However, I may have to first heal myself and then lose weight. I know it's perverse, but I'd rather lose weight first & then heal...but it may not happen that way for me. To tell you the truth, I just want straight up primal to work for me. But, I think if mostly animal would work, that's much easier than trying to stay in strict NK. But, we'll see what shakes out of things One thing is for sure, given my other health improvements, I seriously needed more fat and a bit less protein in my diet!!!!

My focus is on feeling good and finding something sustainable. I feel like I'm just finally healing from the cold. Also, the mental stress of thinking about new jobs, paying off the house, etc. has also taken its toll. Finally, sleep. I wish I could nail that one down.

On the sleep, here's what's funny. I've read so much on the internet about what to do. I have put blankets behind my curtains and my room is basically pitch dark. I have a fan for soft white noise. I chill before bed. No caffeine. And do you know who it's helped? The dogs and DH (which, isn't a bad thing, but I was doing it for me). Minimal impact for me. Sigh.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I sliced my (fresh)strawberries in my egg slicer, horizontally so I had ovals, not hearts. They dried up beautifully, and have a very intense flavor.

So dried strawberries will be a must this summer Can hardly wait!

What I did for my sleep...

-Create a repeatable routine, I get ready for bed in exactly the same order every night, from changing my clothes to brushing my teeth, I have a set pattern. It can be repeated if necessary in the middle of the night if I can't get back to sleep.

-the house is as cool as the rest of the family can stand it.

-I have black out blinds behind the curtains in my bedroom, you can buy the material and just staple it up if you don't want to sew, you can get white or cream and it will look good from the outside as well.

-I use a box fan at the foot of my bed=serious white noise it blocks out other noises in the house and I can now even sleep through DH coming to bed

-I listen to a sleep meditation, I use flat headphones that fit into a headband

-I go to bed and wake up at the same time every day (I have started to loosen this now that I am sleeping better, and allow my self to sleep in on the weekends, but I still try to go to sleep at the same time).

-I like to end the day with a cup of tea and some knitting (or something that is mindless and totally stress free)

-remove any possibility of being able to tell what time it is

Of all the things I did, I think the most useful is the meditation track. It is actually Paul McKenna's Overnight Success, which was free. But I also use one from Jon Gabriel which was also free. Basically it is Binaural Beats in the background with a relaxing voice in the foreground. I start it back up if I can't fall back asleep in the middle of the night.

I think if you don't get the healing done, even if you manage to lose the weight, it will be a constant struggle to keep it off.

I don't see an advantage to NK if you have to struggle so hard to get into it and you don't lose weight when you are in it. Heal first, as time goes on I bet that since you are on mostly animal sources you will end up in NK anyway.

Hey, I meant to tell you that I made mayo in the Vitamix for the first time yesterday. I used their recipe but with light olive oil, and it was perfect. I may try a nut oil next time.

I need some meditation tracks. I sleep like the dead for the first 4-5 hours, but sleep terribly for the remainder. If I could even sleep better for 6 hours, I think I'd feel better.

Hmmmm....will have to try that. I need to make mayo with bacon grease or something. Have you tried that?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    no, I cheat and use bacon bits, but I do have the fat from the bones/broth.

The headband I use are a brand called Tooks, they are actually very good.