Page 137 of 334 FirstFirst ... 3787127135136137138139147187237 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,370 of 3332

Thread: Primal Journal (RMS) page 137

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm starting today, with a "higher" day. Of course, I'm already getting close to my protein, so not off to an auspicious start. Am reviewing several plans and will decide soon.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    I am interested to see how the calorie cycling goes. I do the same thing though not formally I make sure I stick to my average calories for the week but daily they could go up or down depending on how hungry I am. I always keep the protein within a couple of grams of the average though

PS well done on the bonus. I'm glad that's taken some of the pressure off you.

Having another pity party day. Over my protein, over my carbs. I'm wondering if NK is really for me. Not that I would go back to my low cal/low fat/high protein (that led to some problematic issues), but wondering if I could notch the fat down slightly and increase the protein a hair. I'm not measuring, so hard to be sure if I'm ever in NK, but it seems that if my protein goes over 40 grams, I feel like I'm kicked back out...and 40 grams seems a bit too low. Or, maybe I've never gotten into NK? I don't know. In either case, today is definitely a high calorie day and I'm going to cycle low tomorrow. I WILL give this calorie cycling thing at least one week, though my results are probably skewed since I've had 3 "bad" days this week.

My 4 mile walk was hard today. Man, it's amazing what being sick for 3 weeks and not walking for almost a month will do to you. But, I'm sure I'll build back up quickly.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Ruth, what if you cycle the proteins as well, and see if you get the carbs very low on the days you go higher with protein? I bet if you balance your carb and protein you can still stay in on high calorie days.

I forget, what is it you can use for fats now?

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    ^^^ good idea Ruth. What do you think? Its worth a try for a couple of weeks to see what the affect is.

Ruth, remember you are still sorting out your body needs and we all blow macros once in a while. I agree though, getting to NK is HARD HARD HARD!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Fats. Limited. Beef fat, pork fat, ghee, a little butter. Egg yolks. Small amt of sun butter, but I'm pretty sure I should only have that on special occasions. Eating is getting to be a PITA

I'm going to see what a week of calorie cycling does. I'll go from there. I feel better on a pretty much animal diet. Maybe I just need to focus on that (mostly animals) and cycle calories (while keeping am eye toward protein - but with a little more give).

I saw this over on low carb friends. It makes sense. Something for many of us to think about...

Why the scales can lie

A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably encounter: Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the story - be patient! Your body is changing even if the number on the scale isn't.

PATTERNS OF WEIGHT LOSS

Common patterns of weight loss from tracking a lot of people who become assimilated into the low carb lifestyle, a pattern emerges.... the 2 week induction is pretty heady...weight lost just about every single day, enormous and unbelievable amounts of weight loss are reported. This is often followed by complaints that weight loss "stalls" or that the rate drops to only 1 pound per week.

Many people just don't know that fat-loss ...the actual goal when on a weight-reduction" diet, is rate-limited. In other words, the human body has factors that prevent more than a certain amount of fatty-acid release from storage...and even more factors that prevent those released fatty acids from being used up instead of stored back into the fat cells.

A priority of the human body is survival. Anything that threatens its survival results in the cascade of events to maintain the previous status quo. Water fluctuations are one way the body does this. OK...so you done good on Atkins' during induction...lost 10 pounds the first 2 weeks. Maybe 7 the first week and 3 the second. But, whoa! Weeks 3 and 4 there is NO loss! And weeks 5 and 6 is only 1/2 pound each!

So... what gives? Initially, the body jettisons the water attached to the glycogen stores that we diligently deplete to get into ketosis...this accounts for about 3-5 pounds of water. In addition, muscle stores of glycogen are not being replaced when used...which will account for the rest. All in all...MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized during the first week... and MAYBE 1/2 pound of fat was metabolized the 2nd week. Of that 10 initial pounds, only 1 pound was fat and 9 pounds water...

The body senses this lack and sirens start shrieking: Warning! Warning! Losing water... new thing...got to get back to the status quo! Brain tells body to produce and release that vasopressin anti-diuretic hormone....more water is retained, and no weight loss noticed. Fat loss is still occurring, MAYBE even 2 pounds per week, because ketosis is firmly established and appetite suppression is in effect...but water retention is hiding that continuing fat loss. The body is preventing dehydration with this mechanism, and that's a good thing.

From the perspective of the scale, it can be discouraging. Which is why the mantra: Water retention masks fat loss (repeated frequently to oneself) is helpful. Water retention will mask ongoing fat-loss for as long as the body retains the water. We can combat this by drinking more water...but we aren't going to totally overcome this mechanism during the initial water-loss phase of the Atkins diet. By weeks 5 and 6, things start to get back in balance, and the scale will begin to reflect the true fat-loss...which, as mentioned before is rate-limited.

Individuals vary, but max weight loss runs about 2 pounds per week...under extremely optimal conditions... or 1% of body weight (whichever is the lower number). So don't use the scale as an excuse to undermine your progress. Even when the scale is in a stall, fat loss can be occurring.

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    oh wow...
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Well my heart really wants to believe it. I stayed on the SSoS with the 10 veggies a day for 5 months with no change. I am committed to getting in and staying in NK, lets say till at least the end of the year.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting about water retention. Different from bloat, and even more sneaky, but reassuring, in a way.

I posted a review about the Alternate Day Diet (JUDDD) on my journal, if you want to take a look.