Thread: Carbs page

grokker is offline Junior Member

Hi all,

I started just over two weeks ago and the difference is amazing. I've just started entering my daily food consumption in FitDay to see how I'm doing with respect to levels of fat, carbs and protein.

My problem is that I'm trying to eat lots of vegetables and still finding it incredibly hard to get up to even 100g of carbs a day let along getting up to the 150g I should apparently be taking.

I don't particularly need to lose weight (5ft7 and 156lbs) and I'm wondering if this is a problem. If it is can anyone recommend vegetables with a high carb level.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

grokker,

If I might ask...why do you feel you need to be taking in 150 grams of carbs? Are you doing IronMan or Marathon, training, perhaps?

I'm not an expert on the subject, but several people here seem to use sweet potatoes and fruit for extra carbs when they do this type of training.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Good carby veggies would be things like sweet potato, yam, roots such as parsnips, carrots, turnips, beets....

Sweet, tropical fruit like bananas!

Again, you don't *need* to be up at those levels (150g), if you're concerned about weight loss try increasing your general calories / fat perhaps?

chima_p is offline Senior Member

grokker is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all your advice. I've been taking in a lot of information in the last couple of weeks and the 150g must have slipped in their somehow

Pikaia is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Naw, you aren't imagining things. Mark suggests staying at 100-150g/day once you've reached your target weight. But as you've noticed, it is hard to get that high with non-starchy veggies.

If you feel fine at your current intake, there's no need to adjust. If you decide you want to be up above 100g/day, you could include more fruit and starchy veggies. Berries and sweet potato are my higher carb go-to foods.