Thread: doc said my vitamin d levels are 198-- is this ok? page

fbw
    fbw is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

and yes, i did forget to ask whether they meant d2 or d3, although i originally asked that the blood draw be for d3. i can't find anything readily online to help me figure out what this number means, if anything.

also, where can i get a *quick* turnaround on a vitamin d home test kit? the stuff i was looking up takes 6-8 weeks to get results back, which is why i went to the doctor for a test.

annadragon is offline Junior Member

fbw, I would first request your records from your doctor in order to ascertain which Vitamin D lvl was reported and in what format (such as ng/mL or nM/L).

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/ Does indicate that a nM/L measure might be as high as 200nm/L. Read near the bottom of the page to find this.

If, after looking at and analyzing your results you are still unclear then a duplicate and independent test such as a home-kit might be more informative.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

yeah, you need to look at the units (ng/mL, nm/mL, nm/L, pg/mL) and what test it was.

I just got my D test results back and they are confusing to look at.

At the top, I have a 1,25(OH)2 D test... and my result was 99* pg/mL (picograms / milliliter) . The star means "critical" but it doesn't explain what critical means.

Look at this though:

What blood test should I have to check my vitamin D levels?

The only blood test that can diagnose vitamin D deficiency is a 25-hydroxy-vitamin D (25 OH vitamin D). Unfortunately, some doctors are still ordering the wrong test, 1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D. In fact a common cause of high 1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D is a low 25(OH)D or vitamin D deficiency. So when doctors see the 1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D is normal or high and tell their patients that they are OK, they are often vitamin D deficient.
    from http://www.tonic.com/article/everything-you-need-to-know-about-vitamin-d-frank-lipman/

So that's not the test to look at, and low Vitamin D levels (25-OH) can result in high 1,25 OH2 D measurement...

Further down the page, I can see the correct test was run, and there are 3 measurements: Calcidiol, D2, and D3. According to the Vitamin D Council,

Calcidiol

25(OH)D (25-hydroxyvitamin D). A prehormone in your blood that is produced in the liver from the metabolism of vitamin D3 cholecalciferol. When testing for vitamin D deficiency, this is the only form that should be tested for.

So I am ignoring the D2 and D3 numbers and just looking at my Calcidiol, which is 44 ng/mL. I was surprised it was that high because I had only been supplementing for about a week at that point! So... in a week or so I should get my follow-up test results back (blood drawn today) and if I'm around 70ish ng/mL I'll lower my dose to try to "maintain" instead of raise my serum levels.

I hope that helps... if you can get a copy of the actual test results it might be easier to figure out than just by going on what the doc said... the doctors at my hospital don't know much about Vitamin D and the midwife I saw today also had no clue how to read it, so I just asked for a copy and figured it out when I got home.

Chances are you had both tests done, just like I did, but they gave you the wrong number or maybe it's measured in a different unit than ng/mL and you'll need to convert it.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

fbw

i will try to get results, but in the meantime i am ordering the home test from the vitamin d council and that should give me results in a couple of weeks, well before my next checkup.

hey, if you've got the extra money for the home test, why not?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

fbw

vitamin D update: i was at 200 ng/mL (confirmed via the home test). I stopped my vitamin D and then was retested a few days ago and was down to 142 ng/mL.

the vitamin d council doctor guy talked with me (v. nice man) and said 5-6000 IU (once my level drops under 100 ng/mL) is actually enough as a daily dose to keep my levels high enough without getting into 200+ territory. the 5000 per day assumes zero sunlight, and i do eat a lot of fatty meat and leafy greens, so i guess i was doing better than i thought.

anyway this means no more 4000 IU per gel bottles. i can drop down to 1 or 2000 IU per gel.

and it is actually very worth noting that my levels weren't this high until i started chewing the gels and directly consuming the oil within. when i was swallowing them whole, i really wasn't getting jack out of them for all my high dosing. go figure. so maybe there is something to explicitly consuming vitamin d via food, sun or liquid and not any other way.

hfox is offline Junior Member

My apologies in advance if you all have touched on this somewhere in your discussion. I would read through it carefully, but am short on time.

What D3 dosage is generally recommended? (I'm 5'6, ~140lb female in early-20s--muscular build). Since around December, I've been taking 4-10,000 units/day.. in Dec.-Jan. I was at the lower end, and since the new year, I've been taking 8-10,000 units daily. (Have not gotten the blood test recently).

Would it be worthwhile for me to go in for the test? Should I decrease my D3 consumption to around 5,000 units as Dr. Mike Eades recommends for "maintenance"?

Thanks for any insights on this.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

hfox, anything other than testing is like trying to land a plane blind and in a snow storm. It's all a crapshoot.

My end of summer tests after many hours in the Florida sunshine PLUS 4000 IU's a day put me at a paltry 54, IIRC. Still very good and considered therapeutic, but I sure expected more!

yeah, definitely test.