Thread: Wow - this is a lot to take in. I think I'm ready. page

Penguin is offline Junior Member

Wow - this is a lot to take in. I think I'm ready.

Shop Now
    So far, I'm fascinated with what I'm seeing but a little uneasy about it. For so many years, I've been on this diet or that. Believe me, I know a LOT about diets but I'm still significantly overweight.

A few months ago, I learned that I was intolerant of gluten. That was a revelation. Without gluten in my diet I'm starting to learn what 'well' feels like. It's a new normal for me after feeling like crud for so long that I thought that was normal.

Despite six months of not eating gluten, I have managed to GAIN weight. No, I didn't dive into the gluten substitute foods, but I did eat rice or potatoes daily.

I'm training to run a half marathon and am plagued by inflammation in my foot and low back. It gets much worse if I accidentally ingest gluten. I'm slowly learning to put the pieces together, and link the inflammation to diet rather than exercise.

So, I'm going to be doing a lot of reading and learning here, over the next few weeks.

sixpack-rc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    So far, I'm fascinated with what I'm seeing but a little uneasy about it. For so many years, I've been on this diet or that. Believe me, I know a LOT about diets but I'm still significantly overweight.

A few months ago, I learned that I was intolerant of gluten. That was a revelation. Without gluten in my diet I'm starting to learn what 'well' feels like. It's a new normal for me after feeling like crud for so long that I thought that was normal.

Despite six months of not eating gluten, I have managed to GAIN weight. No, I didn't dive into the gluten substitute foods, but I did eat rice or potatoes daily.

I'm training to run a half marathon and am plagued by inflammation in my foot and low back. It gets much worse if I accidentally ingest gluten. I'm slowly learning to put the pieces together, and link the inflammation to diet rather than exercise.

So, I'm going to be doing a lot of reading and learning here, over the next few weeks.
    Glad you found your way here and welcome!

Just try it for three days. What have you got to lose?

In my first three days I lost weight, lost inflammation, had decades old IBS and GERD disappear completely, had more energy and felt my emotional link to food start to break.

I've been primal about three months now and it has been truly life changing for me.

~rc

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome. Inflammation, you say? Start limiting sources of Omega6 and take lots of good wild fish oil daily. You should get results very quickly! And go easy on the running, at least till you feel better.

Daisynyc is offline Member
    Primal Mark, I'm also new to Paleo and was thinking of trying the Couch to 5K program. Not a half marathon by any stretch - probably 30-40 minutes of cardio 3x per week. I'm quite overweight, so walking initially with bouts of running mixed in. Is this a mistake as well? I was viewing the running bouts as my "sprints" if you will. I am not interested in marathon running, but I would love to be able to run once or twice a week - or at all, frankly. Would love some feedback.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisynyc View Post
    Primal Mark, I'm also new to Paleo and was thinking of trying the Couch to 5K program. Not a half marathon by any stretch - probably 30-40 minutes of cardio 3x per week. I'm quite overweight, so walking initially with bouts of running mixed in. Is this a mistake as well? I was viewing the running bouts as my "sprints" if you will. I am not interested in marathon running, but I would love to be able to run once or twice a week - or at all, frankly. Would love some feedback.
    Low level cardio is part of the primal plan (you might want to get the Primal Fitness E-book) along with strength training. If you enjoy the idea of a 5k I wold say go for it.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisynyc View Post
    Daisy - In my opinion, you should get the Primal Blueprint Fitness book and start with walking/hiking to build up some cardio endurance, then incorporate sprints. Then, if you feel like training for 5K, go for it.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Daisynyc is offline Member
    Thanks so much, Griffin.

Roa
    Roa is offline Member

I want to start off by sharing my experience with the primal diet. I have a more natural relationship to food. It's not a diet, it's not a struggle, it's not limiting. I would also mention that it fights inflammation.

I'm hypersensitive to gluten and dairy myself. Have you tried avoiding dairy as well as gluten?

Another tip for you to save your back and feet: go barefoot!

js290 is offline Senior Member

Joint Health | Glucosamine | Chondroitin Sulfate | MSM | DMSO | Sock-Doc

Lovelessk is offline Junior Member
    Bit of a gross over exaggeration with his exercise numbers.

If you are sedentary and burn 3 - 5 calories a minute (not abnormal for most median range BMR), then you would burn 180 - 300 calories per hour while at rest.

When steady state jogging, even highly adapted with a minimum rise in heartbeat (treating our jogger like an Olympian) you can burn between 8-16 calories per minute easily. Or 480 - 960 per hour. Most folks burn quite a bit more to be totally honest.

How you look and your body fat percentage is 99% what is on your plate and not the time spent in the gym. I just have issue with him fudging his numbers like that. It makes it hard to trust anything else he says.