Thread: Pork - Ok to eat daily? page

markfj is offline Junior Member

Pork - Ok to eat daily?

Hi Guys

I have found an online butcher who sells all Grass fed beef and lamb as well as free range pork/Game, my question is, if om a budget, pork is much cheaper than beef or lamb is, is it ok to eat Pork daily, and a portion of beef/lamb every other day for example?

Im not poor but not exactly rich either, as long as the pork is free range it shouldnt be a problem, I think? But there beef ribeye steaks are 9.50 each! I couldnt afford that daily.

Thanks
    Mark

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Grassfed beef steaks are out of the question for me, too, but you should be able to get a pound of grassfed ground beef or stewing meat for half that price. That's what I do.

I don't know about pork specifically. If it's free range, then I'm sure it's okay. It's just that for some reason I am never tempted to buy pork (and I love all kinds of meat), so I am a little suspicious of it.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    There will be some people saying no because of the PUFA content. I'd say you're probably fine. Checking the data for pork belly I find the PUFA content fine to be honest. Nothing that will kill you. That said, beef and lamb are still better. Is ground beef for example really more expensive?

Fitday data for the fat content of pork belly:
    Fat 15.0g
    Saturated Fat 5.5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1.6g
    Monounsaturated Fat 7.0g

They sell Homemade beef/lamb burgers and mince meat, they use all the offcuts from steaks/roasting joints in these, so assume they are higher in fat, but still high in protein and low in carbs

Will look into there braising steaks too

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markfj View Post
    They sell Homemade beef/lamb burgers and mince meat, they use all the offcuts from steaks/roasting joints in these, so assume they are higher in fat, but still high in protein and low in carbs

Will look into there braising steaks too
    Look into beef brisket & shin on bone, or lamp neck chops. They're usually cheap cuts here, $8 or 9 instead of upwards of $18 for the cheapest kind of steak). Plus because they have bones (except I normally by the brisket off of the bone) in you're getting all the goodies from those in your sauce/soup that your cooking the meat in. Just remember to go low and slow to make the meat nice and tender.

The brisket is great for chilli or casseroles, either chopped into chunks (like 1 inch cubes) and eaten like that, or once cooked take the chunks out and shred them with a couple of forks then put them back into the gravy and mix it all up.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

Thanks for the replies

I am actually a chef by trade, though I admit I dont normally look at the prices we pay as thats not my job

I have looked at their site, they sell loads of good meats for braising etc so will def get some of those, they sell rare cuts ive not been able to get elsewhere such as Ox-Cheeks, Pork cheeks etc, so should find something to suit

Thanks again

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Pork is high in O6s, which is why I limit my intake. I buy grass fed chuck/blade steak and minced beef, that's pretty cheap.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markfj View Post
    Thanks for the replies

I am actually a chef by trade, though I admit I dont normally look at the prices we pay as thats not my job

I have looked at their site, they sell loads of good meats for braising etc so will def get some of those, they sell rare cuts ive not been able to get elsewhere such as Ox-Cheeks, Pork cheeks etc, so should find something to suit

Thanks again

I LOVE Ox cheeks and pork cheeks. Braised they are wonderful.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    agreed

I like pork cheeks, cod cheeks and I am sure I will enjoy Ox cheeks too, good cuts of meat and not too pricey either, will invest in some and safe the Ribeye steaks for infrequent meals/treats i think!