Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold pressed rapeseed oil page

PlaydohYeti is offline Member

Cold pressed rapeseed oil

Shop Now
    I didn't know you could get it but my local supermarket has two different varieties. Without involving hexane or other chemical extraction techniques, is it considered healthy? I assume that lectins are no longer an issue in this form?

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    It's still a seed oil that is very high in PUFA's. There are many better options out there, this shouldn't even be considered.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    The major concern with rapeseed (and canola) is the abundance of erucic acid which has a number of toxic effects (heart lesions in rats).

Lectins are proteins so only trace amounts could exist in an oil.

PlaydohYeti is offline Member
    It can stay on the shelf in that case. I'm already hypersensitive enough to food and toxins so don't need any added problems. Thanks for your advice.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Rapeseed has had its name unofficially changed to canola, for marketing purposes. It's usually (over 80%) genetically modified by Monsanto (most evil corporation ever, perhaps) to be tolerant of high levels of glyphosate, which is a pretty potent toxin that is getting into our environment.

Don't encourage the bastards.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Wtf? Why? Why? Why would you even consider it? What possible advantage foes it have over food?

Would you buy "all natural, organic cyanide"?

Fury is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenhamley View Post
    The major concern with rapeseed (and canola) is the abundance of erucic acid which has a number of toxic effects (heart lesions in rats).
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Rapeseed has had its name unofficially changed to canola, for marketing purposes. It's usually (over 80%) genetically modified by Monsanto (most evil corporation ever, perhaps) to be tolerant of high levels of glyphosate, which is a pretty potent toxin that is getting into our environment.
    Canola was a strain of rapeseed selectively bred (not GM) decades ago to be very low in Erucic Acid and thus safe for human consumption. (as opposed to toxic natural rapeseed oil used industrially). More recently Monsanto did Roundup Ready Canola, and just entering the market are other genetically modified edible Rapeseed strains with very different fatty acid profiles than 'canola'. (50% less PUFA, higher Oleic, etc...)

With that said, its not the best choice of oil. Among oils to avoid its better than Soy & Corn, but not something I'd buy a bottle of.

Go with Olive oils (virgin & light/mild) or coconut oil if you need oil. If you must have a seed oil, High & Mid Oleic Sunflower / Safflower are the best choices I've seen commercially available.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Wtf? Why? Why? Why would you even consider it? What possible advantage foes it have over food?

Would you buy "all natural, organic cyanide"?
    Hi. Devil's advocate here. Here is why someone MIGHT use canola oil: it makes a pretty cheap and tasty mayonnaise. Mayo really needs a neutral oil base, IMO.

However, if cheap isn't your problem, then using a 50/50 mix of "light" olive oil and steam-deodorized coconut oil yields the same result without resorting to canola.

I also occasionally run into recipes that call for the ubiquitous "vegetable oil". If it's a baked good, I melt butter or coconut oil (again, deodorized). If it's a salad, I use olive oil. But making those conversions took trial and error.

What I don't understand is how cold-pressed makes canola any better. It's nasty tasting stuff on its own. That's why you need the hexane. It must be sanitized with heavy duty chemicals for us to eat it.

Unless someone has bred the taste out of it, but even then -- what everyone else said. There are better fats to be used.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    Hi. Devil's advocate here. Here is why someone MIGHT use canola oil: it makes a pretty cheap and tasty mayonnaise. Mayo really needs a neutral oil base, IMO.

However, if cheap isn't your problem, then using a 50/50 mix of "light" olive oil and steam-deodorized coconut oil yields the same result without resorting to canola.

I also occasionally run into recipes that call for the ubiquitous "vegetable oil". If it's a baked good, I melt butter or coconut oil (again, deodorized). If it's a salad, I use olive oil. But making those conversions took trial and error.

What I don't understand is how cold-pressed makes canola any better. It's nasty tasting stuff on its own. That's why you need the hexane. It must be sanitized with heavy duty chemicals for us to eat it.

Unless someone has bred the taste out of it, but even then -- what everyone else said. There are better fats to be used.
    Generally things labeled as cold-pressed, and that are insanely niche aren't cheap.

Satch12879 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Generally things labeled as cold-pressed, and that are insanely niche aren't cheap.
    So what?

I'm not a fan of anything that you have to both bleach AND deodorize in order for you to be able to eat it. There was a segment on "How It's Made" about canola oil.

Personally, for a quick, neutral, high-heat oil, I use grapeseed oil by La Tourangelle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast