Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron levels high page

Jlynn is offline Junior Member

Question Iron levels high

Shop Now
    Hello, I just had blood work done and everything is looking great except my iron levels were high. My UIBC is 101 which is low. Normal ranges are 150-375 (according to Lab Corp). My iron, serum is 182 which is high. Noraml being 35.155 and my iron saturation is 64%, normal being 15-55%.

Any one here have high iron levels and are their complications and what did you do to reduce it? I will also discuss this with my chiropractor and a doctor when I make an appt with a new one. My chiro ordered the blood work. Iron is not something I've had tested before so I have nothing to compare it with. Phosphorus was also a little high at 4.6 mg/dL.

My husband and I have been following Primal/Paleo since about March of this year. We are the 85/15 types. A little flexabilty on weekends.

ANy feedback is appreciated!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Mine are just about right, but I've heard some people donate blood when their iron levels get too high. Good for everyone all around.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Are they checking your for hemochromatosis? More common in men, but also can be found in woman. Hemochromatosis - PubMed Health

There are some health risks associated with too much iron, so I would try to follow up. Are you pre or post menopausal?

jem51 is offline Senior Member
    Not uncommon in peop living in high altitudes but that's not you.

Give blood.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Are they checking your for hemochromatosis? More common in men, but also can be found in woman. Hemochromatosis - PubMed Health

There are some health risks associated with too much iron, so I would try to follow up. Are you pre or post menopausal?
    I am going to be 50 in March, so I guess premenopausal. I did read up on hemochromatosis and it made me a little nervous with possible liver damage and cardiac problems. Since moving to Reno, we haven't found a GP we like, but I did just get a referral from my chiro, so I will call that doctor and get an appt.

Quote Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
    Not uncommon in peop living in high altitudes but that's not you.

Give blood.
    We're at 4200 ft in Reno. Last time I gave blood (13 years ago) I passed out! I was a little over zealous sqeezing my hand and watching the bag rock back and forth! Eyes rolled back and that was it! Thanks!

peril is offline Senior Member
    My mother died of liver failure after a late diagnosis of haemochromatosis. It is important to get it addressed. Simplest treatment is donating blood.

Strangely, my iron levels have been much more stable since I went primal. I actually expected them to be worse
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMark View Post
    Iron levels can fluctuate. Better to have super high levels any way so your body can make more blood. Just think of the coin you will save on iron supps lol!
    Yes, but too high iron levels are a problem. That's why a lot of people don't supplement with iron anymore. If you're a male or a women that doesn't have periods, you can potentially store it up in your body and mess with your liver (among other things). According to an article in PubMed, Hemochromatosis is the most common genetic disorder in the U.S., so it's not that unusual.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    Iron in our hemoglobin oxidizes to carry oxygen so we can breath. Too much iron leads to too much oxidizing (rusting) and creates free radicals that travel around the body destroying tissue. Potentially scarring the arteries and causing plaque with the associated heart attacks and strokes.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    hmm...so is it possible that bloodletting had some therapeutic benefit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast