Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Make Kombucha page

Junior is offline Member

How to Make Kombucha

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I recently made my first batch of Kombucha and wrote a post including the recipe and notes from the research I did;

Healing Center of Maine: HOW AND WHY TO MAKE KOMBUCHA

It turned out well and I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor!
    www.healingcenterofmaine.com
    Detox the Body, Mind, and Spirit with Holistic Healing

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    This interests me. I have never had it (should probably buy a commercial bottle to try) but I need to up my fermented foods. This seems like a reasonable and sensible way to do it. However,

1. thats a lot of sugar to make it, although I understand it goes from sweet to sour. I am watching my carbs so there is a concern there.
    2. It seems like a lot of work (I admit I am lazy).
    3. What is the climate like where you live and make it, I live in a fairly humid environment and am concerned about mold since it seems you let it ferment at room temp?
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Ande is offline Senior Member
    OP - Great blog post on the kombucha. I love kombucha and have been making it for months now.

Athomeontherange - make kombucha!! Well first, like you suggested to yourself, try it. I remember the first bottle I bought... GTs Original Kombucha, I took my first drink, swallowed way to fast, the vinegary taste burned my throat, I instantly wrote it off as something I would want to drink again, but sure enough, about 2 minutes later, I was back to the bottle. In short, it is an addicting drink!

You do use a lot of sugar but it does not come out sweet, thus there is no real sugar left to speak of when it's all brewed up. Well maybe a little bit, but definitely not much.

I remember reading all about kombucha before I took the plunge and I thought the same thing... so much work! But it's really not. Basically you are brewing tea, adding SCOBY, then waiting, then bottling, then brewing more tea, adding SCOBY, followed by more waiting, and more bottling. The bottling takes the most time and all that is is placing tea in bottles lol. But I get it... it's still work.

You will have no problems with mold if you keep everything free from contamination. I don't sterilize my container or what have you but I do keep my kombucha covered with a towel and rubber band while it's brewing to prevent fruit flies from flying in. If you let them, they will come, for sure.
    Also, even though kombucha ferments at room temp it won't grow mold because the mixture of tea/sugar/starter liquid is too acidic. You need the starter liquid for this purpose, to start out with an acidic mixture that won't get moldy in the first few days of brewing (before it becomes acidic on it's own).

Anyway, there is so much info out there about kombucha, even here on MDA.

Good luck!

Great post OP!

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ande View Post
    ...Basically you are brewing tea, adding SCOBY, then waiting, then bottling, then brewing more tea, adding SCOBY, followed by more waiting, and more bottling. The bottling takes the most time and all that is is placing tea in bottles lol....
    Check out doing a continuous brew! I haven't tried making kombucha at all yet but I ran across several sites that talked about doing a continuous brew where you use a jar with a spout at the bottom and just keep adding tea when you use some. Or something along those lines.

Junior is offline Member
    I live in Maine. Temperatures and humidity vary widely with the season. Fermenting is much slower now than summer. I make kefir continuously and have to find ways to keep it cool in the summer, or it ferments too quickly.

I think Ande is right on as far as time, it's really just brewing a gallon of tea weekly. This is nothing in terms of time as compared to making a fresh salad daily.

I've come to believe if you want to eat "good", food prep time is unavoidable, but I try to find ways minimize the time if I can.
    www.healingcenterofmaine.com
    Detox the Body, Mind, and Spirit with Holistic Healing

I just bought my first bottle of kombucha bottle while out today. It is locally made (at least made fresh in the state) and was grape flavor? It was delicious! I did not expect a light flavor and bubbly. It is also not sweet and is refreshing! Ok.. looking into making some myself.

I agree junior about minimizing prep whenever possible!!

Question: so kombucha is good for probiotics because it is fermented. I was asked why I did not just drink good apple cider and water. Wouldn't I get the same results?
    Karin

Yes, it is good because it's fermented.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

As you probably experienced, buying kombucha is expensive, making it is cheap! Win win.

Ok.. so I need to purchase some kombucha to start right? I did not see anything in the health food store to start it. I see on Amazon you can buy the scooby. Recommendations?
    Karin

Well, I am glad you asked

You can save yourself the cost of buying a SCOBY by growing one from a bottle of kombucha! That is how I stared mine.

It's also how the Junior wrote their blog post. The first section is how to grow the SCOBY, the second is how to brew the kombucha.

It does take a while to grow the SCOBY (about 3 weeks) but I recommend it over shelling out money on Amazon, and plus, it's just pretty cool.

When you get down to making the kombucha, I use 3 qts of water, 1 cup of sugar, and 4 bags of green tea (I like the taste of green over the standard black). I have a smaller brewing container so this works for me. I also let the tea steep overnight so it gets pretty strong. If I only steeped if for like 5 to 10 min I'd use 8 tea bags also like Junior suggested.

Anyway, I'll be checking back on this thread so if you have any questions feel free to ask. It can be intimidating at first but it's so worth it.

Oh and Noctiluca posted about the continuous brew - that is where it's at. I've been bugging my bf for weeks not to bring over something that would be perfect for the job, soon Then it becomes super easy

P.S. My bf has been trying to kick soda and kombucha really helps cuz of the fizz and the bite. I've suggested it to others also. Just throwing it out there.

so you are saying use a bottle of kombucha from the store? Its refrigerated and I thought that stops the growth.
    Karin

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast