Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking back control and feeling alive page

Byakko is offline Senior Member

Taking back control and feeling alive

I'm Byakko (trans. "white tiger")

I'm a 24 year old female. I'm unhealthy, overweight and I feel old before my time. I needed to find a way of eating that made sense, because dieting is not it. It occurred to me that animals don't need to track points and count calories to live and I'm sure neither did our primitive ancestors nor the tribes that remain today. This is the line of thinking that eventually led me to primal.

I'm accumulating a laundry list of unpleasant and sometimes downright intolerable ailments. I have chaotic cycles, IBS, plantar faciitis, sensitive/itchy skin, tinges, painful and creaky joints to name a few. IBS especially has been a nightmare. It has made me a hypochondriac and i worry more than ever, which only makes the condition worse. I don't even feel comfortable in my own body. Everything is a struggle.

As a kid, I never had problems with eating certain things. Now it's all changed. I was very active when I was young, down right hyper you might say. I constantly climbed over the backs of couches to obtain a seat. I loved flipping over on the hanging rings in the daycare playground. I even took ballet. (Mom always told me she would have put me into gymnastics if we had had it available.) Now I hardly go outside, my hobbies never involve anything active and I'm exhausted just going to the mall. I want what I had before.

I've had enough of feeling like half a person.

I have yet to begin my journey with primal because I am still ironing out wrinkles, such as how to afford the necessary nutrition, what to make to quash any potential boredom, and even lingering doubts fueled by "CW". It's new and rather confusing right now. I was also thrown off by the predominantly-male vibe and was hesitant to join a forum.

However, I remain encouraged by the stories and photos and the journeys of others and I have to follow my instincts and try it for myself.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    The best advice I can give is just jump in even though you are still going through the details. Basically avoid legumes and grains, eat meat, veggies, fats and a little fruit. Get yourself loads of eggs they go a long way and don't cost much. Just stick to the basics.

Hi thank for reading and replying!

The overall concept of primal I understand. It's the ratios and percentages of meat and fat that I'm not too clear on. I've still got the "MyPlate" graph in my head. (Organic eggs are available in our area, but aren't as cheap as conventional.) The other thing I struggle with is the thought of being so bored, but I'll try to find recipes that work.

I think one of the biggest things I want to get rid of is this "dependence" on sugar and grains. It's almost funny how the thought of giving them up makes me irritated, maybe even slightly angry. Of course, they aren't good for anyone. It was an eye-opener when I finally did realize what grains could do to your body. I'd always believed you needed more grains than anything, like on the pyramid. But when I realized that eating whole grains wasn't helping my IBS (in other words, "moving things along") I was pretty convinced.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You should see the food pyramid Mark made. It's so clear and makes sense.
    How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

Thing is once you eat like this for a while you don't miss that stuff much. Plus it is fun to eat all those formerly forbidden things like steak and bacon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jammies is offline Senior Member
    My list of ailments before going primal was even worse than yours Going grain free cured my IBS (mine was actually caused by oats - go figure). Adding in more fats and healthy foods made my brain function more clearly. I had to go nightshade free to get rid of my severe arthritis - but not everyone needs to so for now just focus on grain-free, no crappy oils, getting plenty of healthy proteins and fats.

Also - make sure your vitamin D levels are normal and get some magnesium. Many of your symptoms can be the result of D deficiency.

There is saying around here "Don't let perfect be the enemy of good". You don't have to figure out how to eat the perfect primal diet to start. Just commit to giving up grains and crappy oils to start with and then go from there Good luck!!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about being bored. I've been Primal for 3 years now, and have never gotten bored with my food.

Eventually you just get to the point where you don't even really have to think about it anymore.

You can do this!

Thanks guys for commenting.

I confess I probably am making things harder than they are. It probably stems from how much my body still wants the bad things and it's hard to fathom giving it up. I can be a perfectionist at times also. But you're all right. I just need to take the leap and do SOMETHING instead of waiting around for the right time etc or falling off completely if I make one mistake.

March of last year I was able to give up Sprite (which was like my favorite soda ever). So if I can do that I should be able to accomplish this.

I hope that I will start to feel better (and look better as well) after detoxing. It sucks to not have energy and suffering with pain.

quemans is offline Junior Member
    I had to go nightshade free to get rid of my severe arthritis .

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Go all in. It's the best decision you will ever make...Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!!!

vontrapp is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Before going Primal I was doing Atkins and doing it very well I might add, but it really got complicated about how much salad to eat (really? salad?) how often to eat, writing stuff down. ARGH!! but going Primal is so laid back, so simple. As long as you're eating the right kinds of foods it's easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast