Thread: Seasonally variation in fat intake page

seaweed is online now Senior Member

Seasonally variation in fat intake

Primal Fuel
    i was thinking about this the other day as i am noticing wild game animals arent really very fat. or should i say they definitely dont have the fat on them a domestic animal has. So how much fat would we have gotten preagriculture? would it have been seasonal like fruit as animals are fatter at the end of the summer than winter and spring? i also wonder if the fat makeup has seasonal variations as does the flavour of wild game? could this also be why bone marrow was so prized?

otzi Guest
    For many years, and I'm 46 btw, I would put on 10-15lbs from Sep through March and then lean out in the summer. When I hit 35, I'd put on 10-15lbs in the winter, and not lose any in the summer. I think I started using winter as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted get as fat as I wanted, but age and metabolism didn't let me get away with that for too long. I started Primal in Jan 2011, and lost 60 lbs this year, and am happily at my goal weight and in a 'normal' BMI for the first time in 20 years. As this winter came on, I found my old habits creeping back.
    So, for the rest of the winter, I've decided to yoke my carb intake to the sun. As we get closer to Dec 21st, my carb intake will decrease to nearly zero carb and as the daylight gets longer after that I will add more carbs back in. I think this is a natural progression of carb intake as our ancestors would have had less starchy foods to choose from in the winter (at least my northern Euro ancestors, anyway).

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    So, for the rest of the winter, I've decided to yoke my carb intake to the sun
    this is a good idea. in terms of fat, maybe it could be worth trying more in the autumn and less over spring and summer.

alexdc is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i was thinking about this the other day as i am noticing wild game animals arent really very fat. or should i say they definitely dont have the fat on them a domestic animal has. So how much fat would we have gotten preagriculture? would it have been seasonal like fruit as animals are fatter at the end of the summer than winter and spring? i also wonder if the fat makeup has seasonal variations as does the flavour of wild game? could this also be why bone marrow was so prized?
    Interestingly enough (and this may apply to those who put on winter pounds) studies are being conducted on this. It has been found that mammals who live in more seasonal climates, i.e. cold winters, warm summers, put on weight during the winter season no matter what they are fed. The leading theory is that mammals experience a change in metabolism throughout the seasons.

This makes a lot of sense when you consider that body fat acts as insulation. It would be to any mammals advantage to have an extra coating of fat for warmth when the temperature dips below zero.