Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the switch from Atkins to Primal page

Rockerbaby is offline Junior Member

Making the switch from Atkins to Primal

Primal Fuel
    I can't see many differences, is there something I'm missing? It seems that the big difference is that more fruit is allowed (I only got to level 2 of Atkins.) and some starchy veggies. Other than the general lifestyle and fitness portion, what are the differences? I guess in a way, I'm somewhat eating primally to start with!

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I did Atkins before Primal. The biggest difference for me was that I ate more than my share of Frankenfoods on Atkins. Low carb bread, wraps, bars...ugh. On Primal, I won't touch that crap, just healthy whole foods.

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Yep, when we did Atkins we ate all KINDS of stuff I wouldn't let in the house now...nitrites, nitrates, and the occasional save-up-the-carbs and spend them on junk food. I lost weight but didn't feel all that wonderful. Now, I'm losing more slowly but feel GOOD. A whole host of small health problems have just gone away...

crogagnon is offline Member
    The difference is in health and long-term sustainability. I've lost weight on Atkins, but I still had chronic headaches, gut problems, joint pain, etc. And once you have reached your ideal weight, what then? Go back to eating the usual junk but lowish carb to maintain?

I've been paleo for almost 2 years now, not because I have more weight to lose but because I feel amazing and am ailment free. Everyone is different, but for me it turns out it was the grains that were causing all my ailments.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the others - the quality of food is much better eating Primal. You can make the argument that Dr Atkins never intended for his diet to be a chemistry test, but that's kind of how it worked out.

Atkins emphasizes net carbs, so a high fiber whole grain food isn't a big deal. For someone eating Primal, it's a big problem since we don't eat wheat or anything with gluten.

Primal focuses on avoiding seed oils and artificial sweeteners, both of which are fine on Atkins.

Primal also promotes grass fed/finished beef (and dairy, if you include it) as well as sources that treat their animals well, which I don't believe Atkins mentions.

ETA: Oh, and not all people eating Primal and Paleo are eating low carb. Some people, especially women and athletes have found they do better with a higher level of carb consumption, though still through better sources like sweet potatoes.
    Last edited by RitaRose; 11-24-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I agree Primal is much better for you and is so easy to sustain.
    That is one thing that gets my back up is when people looking at diets (is primal a diet or a life change?) lump primal/paleo/atkins in the same camp because they cut out carbs not focusing on the real food and lack of grain carbs that primal espouses.

Marquette is offline Member
    Actually I believe if you follow the original Atkins diet it is very close to primal. All the frankenfoods came along when Atkins became popular. I too did Atkins and started off eating whole foods with no grains and minimal sugar but eventually got sucked up into all the commercialization of the diet. So far paleo hasn't gone down that road of bastardization and hopefully it never will.

Rockerbaby is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
    Actually I believe if you follow the original Atkins diet it is very close to primal. All the frankenfoods came along when Atkins became popular. I too did Atkins and started off eating whole foods with no grains and minimal sugar but eventually got sucked up into all the commercialization of the diet. So far paleo hasn't gone down that road of bastardization and hopefully it never will.
    I have the version that was published in '72, is that the one you're referring to? My book never mentions the bars or shakes or the products the company now pushes, and in some sections, Atkins does put emphasis on natural, whole foods as better for you. He even also suggested staying nitrite/nitrate free.

Good to know I've pretty much been eating primally the whole time and will only have to work on adding in the fitness portion! (lifestyle is a non issue - I LOVE sleep, make efforts to play with my dog daily and am a pretty stress fre person)

For those of you who switched, I saw extremely rapid weight loss on Atkins. I lost 20lbs in 1 month. How much did your weight loss slow down adding in things like sweet potatoes? I don't plan on eating too much fruit or starch, simply because I still have weight to lose, but have any of you found that your weight loss slows down as you get closer to your goal? I've been stalled for a few weeks now and was dreading going back to Atkins induction. Everyone who loses weight on primal seems to drop it SO fast and look so good! I lost weight, but muscle definition is foreign on my body. Haha.

thanks!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    From what I have seen, the weight loss on Atkins is pretty close to how it happens with Primal - rapid at first, slowing down after the initial rush. It just seems to be more sustainable since it's not just about carbs/net carbs/weight loss.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Kate Ruckman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockerbaby View Post

For those of you who switched, I saw extremely rapid weight loss on Atkins. I lost 20lbs in 1 month. How much did your weight loss slow down adding in things like sweet potatoes? I don't plan on eating too much fruit or starch, simply because I still have weight to lose, but have any of you found that your weight loss slows down as you get closer to your goal? I've been stalled for a few weeks now and was dreading going back to Atkins induction. Everyone who loses weight on primal seems to drop it SO fast and look so good! I lost weight, but muscle definition is foreign on my body. Haha.

thanks!
    I'm not losing fast...it took me a long time to put it on, and I've got a bit of mileage on me. I HAVE lost about 15 lbs since I started, but that was several months ago. There's some up and down, as well, probably because of fruits or sweet potatoes. The amazing thing to me is how much better I FEEL. It's not about weight, as several people have told me...it's about feeling good, and that's the key for me. Also, I don't think of it as a "diet," but as a way of life. I don't plan to lose X pounds and then go back to eating more junk (wheat, grain, sugar, whatever.) I'm in it for life.

Just don't worry about the scale, or pounds...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast