Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: egg shells, sea shells, stock? page

  1. #1
    thaijinx's Avatar
    thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    471

    egg shells, sea shells, stock?

    Primal Fuel
    I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can use both egg shells and sea shells to make 'bone broth' type stock, but I can't remember where. Does anyone here use them?

    Do you just throw them in with your regular bones when you're making broth?

    Will the egg shells dissolve completely? Cause I don't want to sieve off the meat to eat, if it's full of crunchy egg shell 'bits'.

  2. #2
    breadsauce's Avatar
    breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,123
    If you dry and then put through a coffee grinder the egg shells, they will just dissolve. Always assuming that you are adding either lemon juice or vinegar....

  3. #3
    Rosemary 231's Avatar
    Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palm Springs, CA
    Posts
    909
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    If you dry and then put through a coffee grinder the egg shells, they will just dissolve. Always assuming that you are adding either lemon juice or vinegar....
    Tell me about the egg shells in the broth please. What does it do for you?

  4. #4
    Lily Marie's Avatar
    Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    717
    I've heard that eating crustation(sp?) shells can cause an allergic reaction. I don't know if/how that would apply to making a broth and drinking it.

  5. #5
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,207
    i've made broth out of crayfish and crab bodies. or do you mean sea shells like oyster or clam shells?

  6. #6
    breadsauce's Avatar
    breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    2,123
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Tell me about the egg shells in the broth please. What does it do for you?
    How to Make Calcium using Egg Shells

    There are other sites with more info too. Basically, it provides a whole slew of minerals which can be hard to obtain otherwise. Also the membrane is supposed to be very good for joints etc.

    I wash and dry the shells, grind them to a powder and add to stock, and sometimes to water kefir.

  7. #7
    thaijinx's Avatar
    thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    How to Make Calcium using Egg Shells

    There are other sites with more info too. Basically, it provides a whole slew of minerals which can be hard to obtain otherwise. Also the membrane is supposed to be very good for joints etc.

    I wash and dry the shells, grind them to a powder and add to stock, and sometimes to water kefir.
    Awesome, thanks for the link breadsauce.

  8. #8
    thaijinx's Avatar
    thaijinx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    471
    OK, quick follow up. I made some bone broth, and added some egg shells. I left them whole, as opposed to grinding them (don't have coffee grinder) and essentially just wanted to see what would happen. They definitely softened up and I was able to sieve them out at the end. No yukky taste or anything... and no grit in my broth... So next time I will try crushing the shells. This will definitely help the whole egg shell be broken down.

    Rosemary 231, I'm sure that I read somewhere that shells contain calcium... egg shells in particular, so are a good food for countering osteoporosis, etc.

    I still want to find out more about it myself, in particular which are the best shells to use (maybe all of them? I don't see why not).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •