Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Grok's cooking methods page 2

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm a 90 percent of the time griller. I'm not sure about the fat dripping off, but I know there's no skillet to clean after dinner!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rhee View Post
    In my own experience, when cooking in an open hearth on a spit, you do not place the meat directly on the flame. It is off to the side and a pan catches any drippings. I imagine grok would also cook in a pit which would be lined with rocks allowing the meat to baste in its own juices. Flat rocks could also be used like skillets. I also think grok would have made use of the bones for broth for the young and elderly.

I enjoy cooking on an open fire and do it when ever I can. I only fry my meat if it is breaded and I gave up bread so no more fried meats.
    Yep. I'm no expert but one thing I've read over and over is that HG folks were not in the habit of wasting calories. Food was hard won.

Another thing about the bones, didn't Native Americans use the marrow fat for pemmican? Now that's some fatty stuff!

Personally, I don't add a lot of extra fat in my cooking. If I'm cooking in a skillet, I want enough for things to brown and not stick but I don't like really oily food. I think a lot of folks exaggerate a bit for effect, as bloodorchid says.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    knifegill is completely literal though
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roary View Post
    I'm a 90 percent of the time griller. I'm not sure about the fat dripping off, but I know there's no skillet to clean after dinner!
    I don't tend to grill really fatty cuts. I usually cook those low and slow.

Boneidle24seven is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I'm not exaggerating. I drink the pool of fat at the bottom of my bowl and drink a can of coconut milk for breakfast every day. Fat is my friend. And I am thin.
    Hoooooly Crap ! ! !

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that traditional peoples cook all or even most of their meat on spits. But even if you do, a lot of the fat is internal and doesn't drip out, especially if you are cooking an entire animal. So they wouldn't be losing that much.

But plenty of animals were probably cooked wrapped in leaves, stewed or boiled in pots/bark containers, baked in hot coals, etc. There are lots of primitive ways to cook and not all of them drain fat.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes up to 75% of my daily calories come from fat. Remember, without carbohydrates the body needs a fuel source. And I walk up to 8 miles every day at work. My current intake is balanced so that I do not gain or lose weight anymore. I'm finally at my healthy weight and fitness. Primal for the win! And it's not like I'm missing anything from my diet. Between the fish and vegetables, etc., I get everything. Do not fear the fat. It is your friend!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12