Thread: Yogurt Question page

Goldstar is offline Senior Member

Yogurt Question

Primal Fuel
    I am able to buy locally farm-made yogurt with live cultures in it (although the milk is pasteurized in the process.) I understand that most store bought yogurts are not fermented long enough to eliminate lactose and I like the idea of yogurt that has been fermented 24 to 36 hours. I cannot get an answer back as to how long the farm ferments theirs but I am having some slight digestion issues with it.

Is it possible for me to put my locally made live culture yogurt into a yogurt machine and ferment it longer on my own? Has anyone done this? If so, I'm going to ask for a yogurt machine for Christmas!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... this might be something you'd be interested in then...

Cultures for Health: Yogurt Starter, Sourdough Starter, Kombucha, Kefir Grains, Cheese Making and more | Supplies for a Real Food Lifestyle

And for what it's worth, yogurt is pretty easy to make- especially Kefir.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Yogurt is very easy to make. I use a cheapo yogurt maker to re-enact the European style yogurt I first had in Bali. I find it superior to any store-bought yogurt I've ever purchased.

Goldstar is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for your replies. I have read that yogurt is fairly simple to make. I thought my idea would be even easier since the yogurt is already started and I am thinking I can simply bring it home from the store and make it ferment longer once I get it home. Any reasons why this might not work?
    Last edited by Goldstar; 11-23-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    The only reason I can think that it might not work is if the cultures have died. But since most recipes for MAKING yogurt say just to use a few spoonfuls of plain live store bought yogurt I'm guessing that might work. I'd say try it!

The recipe I played with this week said to incubate the yogurt at 50 C (122 F). I just filled a cooler with hot enough water and put the jar of yogurt in there and left it overnight. Seems to have worked.

Let us know what happens if you try it!

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Diana Renata, that website is fabulous! I'm going to order a few different cultures for compare-and-contrast. Thanks!

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roary View Post
    Diana Renata, that website is fabulous! I'm going to order a few different cultures for compare-and-contrast. Thanks!
    Indeed! That is an awesome website! Thanks Diana!

oliviascotland is online now Senior Member
    I make large quantities of lactose free yoghurt. I invested in a yoghurt maker, and use 4 teaspoons of live yoghurt starter to 1 litre of milk. If I leave this to ferment for 24 hours, it is lactose free, and you can use the result as a starter for your next batch (you'll get about 6 batches). What I also do is to freeze the yoghurt I used initially as a starter in an ice-cube tray (2 teaspoons per cube), and then defrost the appropriate amount when needed. It works really well, and doesn't kill the culture! Saves a shed-load of money, too!